Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dangre-starnord

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Dangre-starnord

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-20, 07:41 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Dangre-starnord

Does anyone have any knowledge about the DANGRE-STARNORD marque? I'm looking at a 531 DB tubed bike, complete, but not all OE parts. Replacement parts listed are early 80s DURA-ACE brakes & FD, Campy Record DT shifters, and Fiamme rims. Other components hard to ID, looks like a Simplex RD, Nervar cranks, French stem. Above average condition, professionally repainted without decals. One owner, 60s model, all clamp-on components, eyelets on front and rear forged dropouts. Any idea of value/quality. Poor photos from seller. I don't know if I should make the hour drive or not. I'm looking at another frameset that may win out over this, but I wanted to see what others might know first. I saw another "D-S" bike here, but definitely a different frame compared to what was posted. Thanks for any info you can provide!

Last edited by HPL; 03-13-20 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-13-20, 08:26 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
In my drunken sailor days I might have said that when I saw trouble on the right side. I got nothing!
Old 03-13-20, 09:09 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Starnord was mostly a contract builder. They built the Paris Sport bikes that were pretty common in the eastern U.S. Our club was sponsored by Starnord when I was a junior racer. I would have thought there would be some information about them on the web. There are some threads here and this about Paris sport Paris_Sport Bikes

The majority of the bikes they built were low-end. I am sure they built some high end bikes, but I never saw any
Old 03-13-20, 11:52 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
In my drunken sailor days I might have said that when I saw trouble on the right side. I got nothing!
very good

Old 03-13-20, 04:18 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Don't know much about the brand. The company was based in Valenciennes, and apparently built all bikes to order, for reasons that elude me, as they're not particularly high end. But I did get me a Bernard Dangre a while back. Just because.

Old 03-13-20, 07:21 PM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Well I appreciate the input, but the rather inconsiderate CL seller screwed me. After having set up a time and place to inspect the bike, he sold it before I could arrive ( I wasn't late!). Wasted 2 hours driving and fuel for absolutely nothing. Not the way I wanted to start my weekend. Thankfully I may be riding in a perverse "alley cat" tomorrow; for some reason scheduled mid afternoon in FL and no idea of the "format" as usual. Of course using the Raleigh Sports with the racing modification of LOOK pedals. I'll go off on my own as a bandit anyways and work out my wrath! Not worth using a race bike for stop and go riding in the city with traffic and the like.

Last edited by HPL; 03-13-20 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-14-20, 04:45 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Seems to have been a small operation. I had one from the "bike boom" era. Wasn't that impressed with it. When it comes to French bikes, you would be better off with a Motobecane. They are truly magnifique!
Old 03-14-20, 10:56 PM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Seems to have been a small operation. I had one from the "bike boom" era. Wasn't that impressed with it. When it comes to French bikes, you would be better off with a Motobecane. They are truly magnifique!
I found out from the masses here that I do have a '73/'74 Motobecane "Grand Record", 62cm frame with 531. Too big for me! Just a parts donor so never ridden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20191101_164010.jpg (1.01 MB, 55 views)
Likes For HPL:
Old 03-15-20, 01:37 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Starnord, Manufance and at least one other French contract builder made a slew of lower priced and entry level bikes for many of the well know French marques during the bike boom era. They even made a few mid range models.

I've seen very few bikes on the internet with those maker's marques.

Google is a GREAT resource for searching old BF posts:

https://www.bikeforums.net/4531302-post11.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...d-bicycle.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...rd-dangre.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-any-info.html

A little digression about Manufrance:

Manufrance main page

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...irondelle.html

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 03-15-20, 02:28 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 150 Posts
The Dangre Brothers were (in)famous for selling bikes and components in blister from supermarkets in the 70ies. It was also them that procured the rights for Eddy Merckx in France for some time and made the lowest, ugliest road bikes-under-a-champion's-name ever sold.
They also revived the old and venerable marque of La Nordiste but not much of those frames have survived apparently. I have one of those (3 tubes Reynolds + Durifort forks) and it's a really nice bike.

Old 03-15-20, 05:36 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by CMAW
The Dangre Brothers were (in)famous for selling bikes and components in blister from supermarkets in the 70ies. It was also them that procured the rights for Eddy Merckx in France for some time and made the lowest, ugliest road bikes-under-a-champion's-name ever sold.
They also revived the old and venerable marque of La Nordiste but not much of those frames have survived apparently. I have one of those (3 tubes Reynolds + Durifort forks) and it's a really nice bike.

That is one of the nicest badges I've ever seen.

And a pretty bike, too. Thanks for showing it, CMAW