Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Outdoor Tandem Storage

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Outdoor Tandem Storage

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-23, 12:08 PM
GA in VA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Outdoor Tandem Storage

Writing for a friend that has a tandem bike, but does not have a garage or a basement that she can store her Trek T-900 in. She is looking for a solution that has the following features:
  • Fully enclosed to keep bugs out of hollow parts
  • Lockable to a deck or other fixed point
  • Preferably not a permanent structure
  • Not too expensive
She likes the bike storage tents or motorcycle tents one can find but so far hasn't found one with the proper dimensions for a tandem, or is not closed, or is not lockable.
Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 05-30-23, 12:36 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 523 Posts
We have a T-900 among other tandems and singles. We do now have a small garage with our townhouse but didn't always. There are no hollow parts on a T-900, There is no structure made that is completely bug proof. Bugs won't find the crevices of a tandem very appealing anyway, if it is used with any kind of regularity. There may not, I've never checked, be a purpose built motorcycle tent that will hold a T-900, but there are tarps made that will protect a T-900. It won't be lockable but it doesn't have to be. The bike inside is lockable. Not the most attractive of solutions, but the price can't be argued with. This is how we store some of our tandems. I have a friend that has two Kayaks hanging overhead as you enter his house.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 05-30-23 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-30-23, 01:36 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Plenty of garden sheds of varying dimensions that are in kit form and easily assembled. These are sold by Lowes and Home Depot. If the bike is out of sight it is far less likely to be stolen. She may need to remove the front wheel and have the bike diagonally inside the box to have it work with the available sizes.

Old 05-30-23, 10:24 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 523 Posts
I live just down the street from the Tuff Shed factory in N.E. Portland, and I thought of a shed for the o.p. but something like pictured above pushes hard at $500. Something that could hold a T900 comfortably would push hard at $800.
Old 06-08-23, 12:50 PM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
H-m-m-m. Looking at the dimensions in Calsun's post, and if my memory of junior high school geometry is still good, the diagonal of the depicted storage box is going to be less than 6 feet. We have a T900. Without going to measure, that might be tight even removing the front wheel.
Old 06-11-23, 07:34 PM
GA in VA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Solution Decided

So,my friend decided to buy a tandem cover and lock it to her deck with a folding lock. She probably needs a cable lock to go through the front wheel and the cover (the cover has big grommets where a lock can go through). Any other anti-theft tips I can pass on?