Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Unofficial Bonehead Moves Appreciation Thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Unofficial Bonehead Moves Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-15, 06:03 PM
Rocky Gravol

Bikes: Peugeot Course, Motobecane Super Mirage(RIP), Peugeot PKN10e Motobecane Grand Touring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Riding the bike home at night after a few beers,
came to a fork in the road, couldn't decide which road to take.

So I just went down the middle.

Ended upside down in the blackberry brambles,
with a shoulder injury, that still hurts.
Old 05-13-15, 07:04 PM
Paul W.

Bikes: Bianchi Sport SX, Trek 1200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After years of riding platform pedal mountain bikes, I test rode my first road bike. Learned that my favorite rolling dismount, swinging my leg over the real wheel while braking to a stop doesn't work with toe clips. I ended up on my back, still attached to the bike on top of me. To this day, my friend still reminds me of my thorough test drive, even riding it upside down. I still have that bike. Best, if not the most humiliating, $200 I ever spent.
Old 05-13-15, 07:14 PM
IcySmooth52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Just mount the rear wheel in backwards.
Wouldn't that be interesting: A left side single speed. Why couldn't it be done?
Old 05-13-15, 10:30 PM
eastcoaststeve

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
This one still makes me shudder....

about 15 years ago I was over restoring a ratty Bianchi, and was polishing every aluminum part to a mirror finish with my bench grinder, (I had taken off the guards to have better access to the buffing wheels)...all went well until I got to the big chain ring...holding it gently as it started to polish up, it caught in the wheel, whipped around in a fraction of a second, and hit me square across the bridge of my nos,e at 100mph. I'm pretty sure it knocked me out for a couple seconds...when I came to, there was blood everywhere and three extra holes in my nose. It hurt like hell, but looking back I'm lucky it didn't hit me higher or lower.

Steve
Old 05-14-15, 05:31 AM
busdriver1959

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySmooth52
Wouldn't that be interesting: A left side single speed. Why couldn't it be done?
It can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (101.5 KB, 446 views)
Old 05-14-15, 11:57 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
^ Even the cat looks confused by it.
Old 05-14-15, 02:50 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Knocked a tooth out and a tooth loose with loose nuts (of my own doing) on the front wheel of my BMX when I was about 12. The dentist (who was kind enough to answer the phone late at night) told me to stick the missing tooth back in my head, which I did. It held on for about 17 years. Not bad!
Old 06-16-15, 09:05 PM
ppg677

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Endurace 7 CF Di2, 1982 Trek 957 (retro), 80s Trek 710 (retro), 1995 Trek 930 MTB (singlespeed), Surly LHT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I just made a huge boneheaded move. I snapped the quill stem bolt on a Cinelli stem by over tightening.

Somewhere on this forum I read about loose quills. With a hilly ride this weekend, I decided it was time to "properly" torque it to the Park tool recommended torque. Out comes my cheap/big torque wrench. I hear no clicking so I keep going. SNAP! :-(

Luckily Yellow Jersey had one in stock. But it wasn't cheap. A $40 bolt.

I'm such a bonehead.
Old 06-17-15, 03:01 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Two in the past few months... Both dealing with the drive trains of two bikes I built for friends.

Put a cassette on a wheel an mounted the wheel, chain etc. and couldn't figure out why the cassette was ruccing the frame even though I had spread the frame to the proper width. Ended up that I hadn't tightened the lock ring.

Next, on a different bike I was putting the chain on, and wound it through the derailleurs and snapped in the master link. As I worked the pedals, I received some resistance, and based on my previous error was looking closely at the cassette, but it looked ok. After checking that things were aligned (visual check) I finally discovered that when I threaded the chain through the rear derailleur, I went outside of the cross piece that I think is there to help retain the chain in the RD... So, fortunately an easy fix.

Back in the 70's, my biggest problem was broken rear axles because I rode rough... And it was made worse by the fact that I frequently tightened the axle bolts too tight and stripped the axles when mounting the wheels. I sometimes was able to use washers to get the axle nut to a non-stripped part of the axle.

I remember once hopping on a bike that I had done a lot of work on, and realized that I hadn't tightened the stem.

And, speaking of stems, I have to admit my biggest weakness in working on bikes. Any time that I replace or adjust a stem, I don't think I have ever been able to finish my first ride without realizing that the stem is offset to one side or the other. Now, I tend to blame it on my progressive lenses distorting things, but I have to admit that it has happened my whole life, even before I started wearing glasses.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-17-15, 05:29 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
And, speaking of stems, I have to admit my biggest weakness in working on bikes. Any time that I replace or adjust a stem, I don't think I have ever been able to finish my first ride without realizing that the stem is offset to one side or the other. Now, I tend to blame it on my progressive lenses distorting things, but I have to admit that it has happened my whole life, even before I started wearing glasses.
It's not just you, I feel the same effect. Either it is offset, or I think it is offset and have to mess with it some more. Last time it happened I couldn't shake it until I realized that I my handlebar tape ended at different distances from the stem making the bar appear asymmetrical. I'm going to have to re-wrap it soon.
Old 06-17-15, 07:01 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
I got over eager and didn't let the paint on my Merckx cure long enough. I now have a perfect imprint of the front derailleur clamp on my seat tube.
Old 05-19-16, 08:42 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Okay, so a minor bonehead move. Still irritating:

Putting new tires on my Univega, I noticed the label wasn't on the drive side. Weird. Thought I checked that. Went to flip it around and oh hey, labels on both sides! Okay I'm good.

Later, stopped at a light, I noticed that the tread didn't seem to look right. Confirmed later, yep, the rotation arrow was pointed in the wrong direction. Crap. How about the rear? Dammit. 50/50 shot at each and I got 'em both going the wrong way. Curse the marketing genius who asked "how come we're only branded on one side of the tire?"

Yeah, I know this "tread" has no real impact on anything. But I still flipped both tires around. And oblivious often means twice the effort.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 05-19-16, 11:09 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Yesterday, building up a bike and got real excited about using some neat 90's bar tape I had found. Focusing on that I did the wrap only to realize I still had quite a bit of messy work to do. Tape was a nice blue fade to white. I must have stopped twenty times to wash my hands before I could grab the handle bar while finishing up.
Old 05-19-16, 12:12 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Oxley

Putting new tires on my Univega, I noticed the label wasn't on the drive side. Weird. Thought I checked that. Went to flip it around and oh hey, labels on both sides! Okay I'm good.

Later, stopped at a light, I noticed that the tread didn't seem to look right. Confirmed later, yep, the rotation arrow was pointed in the wrong direction. Crap. How about the rear? Dammit. 50/50 shot at each and I got 'em both going the wrong way. Curse the marketing genius who asked "how come we're only branded on one side of the tire?"

Yeah, I know this "tread" has no real impact on anything. But I still flipped both tires around. And oblivious often means twice the effort.
I just did exactly the same thing. I mounted a tire, realized the label was not aligned with the stem, reinstalled and checked for rotation. Somehow I got it backwards even with checking - on two wheels!!!
Old 05-19-16, 12:35 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
I bought this! I'm a sucker for bikes that need saved, I'm hoping it will clean up enough to make a nice rider out of it.

Old 05-19-16, 01:32 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
I bought this! I'm a sucker for bikes that need saved, I'm hoping it will clean up enough to make a nice rider out of it.

...Paramount?
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 05-19-16, 02:23 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
^ buying that is not 'boneheaded.'
Old 05-19-16, 04:14 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Oxley

I recently made a similar mistake. (Dugast labels their tires on both sides, too.) Just be glad in your case it wasn't a tubular.
Old 05-20-16, 04:55 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by CroMo Mike
Installed a nice brand-new Nitto (Japanese) seat post in one of my all-Italian bikes because the current C-Record aero post couldn't be set low enough to get the "French-fit" I needed. Trouble is that the Nitto is anodized, and the seat tube clamp doesn't get much of a grip on the anodized finish. Even though the clamp bolt was tight, a couple miles from home the post suddenly slammed all the way down, leaving me to pedal home in the DUI bent-legs posture. Which really hurts one's knees. No more anodized posts for me. Replaced it with a vintage Super Record post.
Oh, is it the anodizing that does that? I have a new Nitto post that's supposedly the right size but I can't get it to stay in place without using that carbon paste stuff that has the grit in it.

Old 05-20-16, 04:55 AM
sloar 

It is a Paramount, stated frame damage from a crash. We will see if it was a bonehead purchase. I think it will clean up to a nice rider. He did throw in the original Cinelli stem and bars, original Campy tools that came with the bike and some extra Campy tools. Cinelli Allen wrenches and unused Mathauser pads. I don't see any frame damage and he said it tracks straight. So for the price either way I think it's ok purchase. Just going to be a ton of work.
Old 05-20-16, 04:57 AM
sloar 

Not sure what happened to the font there?
Old 05-20-16, 06:27 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Just mount the rear wheel in backwards.
But don't flip it over left to right. Flip it top to bottom.

There are plenty of moves I don't even think about trying because I just know it will end up bonehead. And some things you learn by doing, like unscrewing the headset from the top then lifting the frame to flip over, all the while watching the fork fall out from the bottom and a zillion 5/32" bearings scatter across the floor.
Old 05-20-16, 06:37 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 904 Times in 383 Posts
When I leave my house in the morning, I balance my bike by placing the rear wheel between two bars in the wrought iron railing at the top of my porch. This is right above six brick steps. Once when I turned around to lock the door, my Guerciotti decided to go down the steps by herself. I cried. But to add insult to injury about a month late my Masi did same thing. You think I would have learned a lesson. I still do the same thing every morning.
Old 05-20-16, 07:53 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I think the winner is the story of the guy removing the plastic dork disc with a propane torch. It's in the roadie and mech forums from a few years back.
Old 05-20-16, 08:04 AM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
When I leave my house in the morning, I balance my bike by placing the rear wheel between two bars in the wrought iron railing at the top of my porch. This is right above six brick steps. Once when I turned around to lock the door, my Guerciotti decided to go down the steps by herself. I cried. But to add insult to injury about a month late my Masi did same thing. You think I would have learned a lesson. I still do the same thing every morning.

Opened the garage, wheeled my bike out and leaned it against the side of the garage. Walked into the house, stood in the dining room putting my backpack and helmet on, looking out the patio door at the garage, and walked out 3 minutes later. In the interim, my bike had been stolen. My gf's first comment, "You left your bike unattended?"

Morning commute, after a 4-6" snowfall. Major roads have been plowed, but not the bike path. Crossing a busy intersection, I miss the curb cutout and find the curb under the snow. No endo, but I fell over into the roadside slush, probably amusing the drivers waiting on the light.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.