Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

At the co-op

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

At the co-op

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-21, 09:53 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
I found this pair of hubs at my local co-op. Older model of Sunshine hubs and a great case of Campy copy. They were pretty dirty as the pics will show, but cleaned up quite nicely without need for any refurbishing of bearing races. They had Campy grease in them and spin smoothly. Pics:

Left is after cleaning and right is before. Note the chrome lock nuts, a nice touch.

Another after and before showing the dirt that came off the hubs.

Hub shell and inner parts, clean and no pits or damage!

Close up of cones and axle and how nice they are for a less costly set back in the day.
This is again a great pick up from the co-op. Cost was Zero but will be worth a lot to a rebuild of a vintage bike or collector. Another save from the dumpster of great vintage parts thanks to the good folks who cut these out and saved them. Smiles, MH
I raced and trained on two pairs of the low flange versions. Kept one of each and still have them. Replaced my trainer front cones with slightly undersized Campy Record and did a sailor's whip after packing with Phil Wood to seal the gap between locknut and dustcap. 1982? That hub saw two years as a training wheel before the new cones, so real use. After the cones, low miles but few of those miles were road. Pulled the wheel down recently thinking I would repack the bearings with new grease. Spun the axle. Never felt bearing so good! Whipping is staying but I'm taking the Weinmann Concave off and lacing it to a quality sewup rim. Sadly, the rear hub which as seen a much softer life (race only, low miles) is 120 FW. I could re-axle it to 126 but I'd need a new bike to put it on. (That front will do nicely on my best fix gear.)
Old 04-10-21, 03:15 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
Today was a good one at my Co-op. I scored all of the parts needed to finish the Trek 1.2 . Headset parts, tubes, and cables and housing, along with some cable ferules for 4mm shift cables. Whomever claims the Trek is in for a sweet ride when it is built up. Too bad I have lost interest in building this bike, but I trust it will go to loving home. Smiles, MH
Old 05-07-21, 02:21 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I realize these aren't treasures but I'm so happy to see a bike that's not a Next or the like that I feel compelled to post. The Peugeot mixte is older and features the square cross-section on the stem and the (broken, of course) plastic brake levers but is otherwise unremarkable, and the Trek is a nice-ish '90s 850.
Old 06-15-21, 04:02 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Not much happening there since the pandemic but maybe it'll open up again soon. That Trek is still there and still outside but has moved to a different pile, and if I had not found a contemporary Marin I'd probably be jonesin' for it but my rigid '90s MTB bases are covered.

There was a TALL bike boom basic SR, fairly unusual...

...and a junker with L.L. Bean branded (rebadged Eclipse?) folding shopping panniers on it. I might try to get those baskets.
Old 06-26-21, 04:57 PM
Mad Honk 

I went to my co-op today to drop off a headset and pick up an 8 spd cassette for the Trek 1.2. Sunrace was $11 so it won the day. I was even asked to decipher fender questions for a couple from France. It seems the folks here are averse to fenders on bikes. After a couple of years without I moved over to the fender side and haven't gone back. All of my wet weather riders have them. I stay so much drier that way. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 07-03-21, 05:22 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Not the co-op, this was actually at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore nearby. I've posted some of their old Schwinn 10-speeds before but this looks interesting; a folding Downtube 8H with a Sturmey 8-speed hub. I'd be tempted to get it (maybe not at their 25% off the posted $200 price) if it had the lengthy seatpost and if I knew the hub worked. Right now it has exploded index cable housing on the shifter so can't be shifted. Also, that hub is only a 28H so wouldn't be useful on my other bikes.

Old 08-22-21, 04:25 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Next to the dumpster at the co-op recently. Unremarkable little bike except that it's the 24" version.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 08-22-21, 04:32 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Next to the dumpster at the co-op recently. Unremarkable little bike except that it's the 24" version.
I have one of those I bought at a yard sale for $13. Fitted with SR randonneur bars and MicroNew brifters it became my son’s bike until he recently outgrew it. It was an awesome steed!
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 08-22-21, 05:34 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
A couple of funions

Old 11-18-21, 01:40 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Still have not been in the building since the start of the pandemic but I like to go by occasionally to check on the dumpster and environs. This is usually the donation pile outside the door and there's no telling how long stuff sits before it gets taken inside for processing, thrown into the dumpster or simply taken.

Saris Bones 2-bike rack. Nice little item just lying on the ground unsecured. I have the larger version that was not cheap, even at cost.

So, the dumpster. The only bike stuff were some mismatched wheels, but I have plenty of wheels and no space for more. Tired of your bike's ass hatchet saddle? Need a whole body hatchet of sorts? A bed of nails for your next nap. Only posting this because I've never seen one in real life. Back to bikes.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 11-19-21, 05:40 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Still have not been in the building since the start of the pandemic but I like to go by occasionally to check on the dumpster and environs. This is usually the donation pile outside the door and there's no telling how long stuff sits before it gets taken inside for processing, thrown into the dumpster or simply taken.

Saris Bones 2-bike rack. Nice little item just lying on the ground unsecured. I have the larger version that was not cheap, even at cost.

So, the dumpster. The only bike stuff were some mismatched wheels, but I have plenty of wheels and no space for more. Tired of your bike's ass hatchet saddle? Need a whole body hatchet of sorts? A bed of nails for your next nap. Only posting this because I've never seen one in real life. Back to bikes.
I just bought that same rack off FB marketplace for 25. Really useful!
Old 12-29-21, 11:07 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

That rack is still in the same spot.

Stopped by just now to check on things and the only thing of interest was this Triumph ladies' 3-speed in the drop-off pile. It was languishing amid a dozen or so big box Mongoose/Next-type pieces of lesser heritage. Nice little bike with some promise but the sad part is it will likely be in the dumpster next visit.
Old 02-02-22, 11:35 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

The dumpster at Rag and Bones was recently dumped so nothing of interest there, but I saw a couple of neat ones in the donation pile; a 23" France-Compte from the bike boom, modded and missing a wheel and crankarms but in lovely shape otherwise...

...and a Raleigh Sprite ladies' with a bum cotter, unremarkable but for the newer Shimano rear derailleur and QR 700C wheels.

Don't need either one but it might be hard to resist just on principle.
Old 03-14-22, 06:52 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Another pass at Rag and Bones. The dumpster was full of mostly non-bike metal but this decent Trek was in the donation pile.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 04-06-22, 12:37 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Not much going on today; the place is closed today and there's not much of interest in the donation pile, and even the dumpster is pretty sparse. However, it looks like they purged the excess wheel inventory. Here are a few of the interesting bits.

An Avocet front hub, probably an Ofmega-produced unit.

A decent Helicomatic rear hub.

And a second one.

I can go back for some or all of these if anyone simply must have them. I know what obsessive collectors can be like. I assume such a person would want them for wallhangers or a hub-specific collection, and less likely to use them on bikes to be ridden.
Old 04-06-22, 03:25 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
I had a pair of those Avocet / Ofmega hubs with loose ball bearings. They were smooth running - excellent cone and races that held up. Yes, Ofmega gets a halo from me. Good stuff.
Old 04-06-22, 06:06 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
Given how much Andy is asking for some Helico parts (forty quid for a lock ring!), I'd say they're worth retrieving.
Old 05-18-22, 10:04 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

I think our place is devolving. The dumpster has been gone for weeks now and there is only the donation pile to look in. Nice old tallish UO8 today, stock but for shifters and those Kool Stop pads...

...and a wheelless 820 with a Flexstem.
Old 06-01-22, 05:50 PM
Mad Honk 

Stopped by my Co-Op tonight to drop off a box of parts and a rack. Talked with a young lady who had her bike stolen and was looking for a replacement. The members were showing her a bunch of mountain bikes. I pulled her aside and showed her the Georgina Terry that was hiding inn a corner behind an overpriced PX10. Priced at $175 with an Avocet ladies saddle and 600 platform pedals, with Shimano 7spd barcons. I figure she made bank of close to $600 on that bike from our Co-Op. Some days it is nice to help a shorter young lady find a better fitting bike for a great price. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 07-11-22, 05:17 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Our co-op is still in pathetic shape but at least they got another dumpster, this one a standard-sized one instead of a trailer-length one. No room in it for the discarded bikes and parts since it seems to be filled up with stuff from other tenants of the building, The only decent (non-Huffy/Murray/Next/POS) in the area was this ladies' Varsity...

...and this caught my eye, a treasure from the '70s. High flanges and sealed bearings, gotta be Lambert or Viscount but I could not read the hub shell. It's a straight 27" Ambrosio rim that looks like a Weinmann 210. I absolutely, positively do not need a 27" rear wheel with 120 spacing, so of course I brought it home. It's a lovely relic if anyone could use it. Bearings still as smooth as silk, and once I got a rag on that shell and better light I could read most of the VISCOUNT stamping.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 07-11-22, 06:02 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Our co-op is still in pathetic shape but at least they got another dumpster, this one a standard-sized one instead of a trailer-length one. No room in it for the discarded bikes and parts since it seems to be filled up with stuff from other tenants of the building, The only decent (non-Huffy/Murray/Next/POS) in the area was this ladies' Varsity...

...and this caught my eye, a treasure from the '70s. High flanges and sealed bearings, gotta be Lambert or Viscount but I could not read the hub shell. It's a straight 27" Ambrosio rim that looks like a Weinmann 210. I absolutely, positively do not need a 27" rear wheel with 120 spacing, so of course I brought it home. It's a lovely relic if anyone could use it. Bearings still as smooth as silk, and once I got a rag on that shell and better light I could read most of the VISCOUNT stamping.
I keep old 27s for the hubs if nothing else. Some are extremely nice.
Old 07-11-22, 06:15 PM
madpogue 

Hmmm, ever since Freewheel moved to their high-falutin' downtown location, I have no idea where their dumpster/discard area is. Probably an interior location elsewhere in the building, not accessible to the public. Hadn't thought about it. They probably have almost no discard anyway, because the new location has no after-hours donation drop option. So they probably pick and choose as donors come in.

Oh well... I went in today mostly looking for some spare Altus canti bits, including half-decent pads, for various low-buck MTB/hybrid flip-builds. Came out with four sets, each with at least something missing/broken, but enough spares to fix at least two incomplete projects. Plus...
* Full set of like-new KS Salmon v-brake pads
* Full set of like-new generic v-brake pads
* Specialized branded but obviously Technomic road stem, patinated
* Pair of 105 SPD-SLs, "normal use" in the contact areas but smoove as silk axles
* Pair of like-new Shimano bar-cons, 8-speed SIS rear

The employee was suggesting a donation of $25; I gladly paid $30.
Old 09-29-22, 11:09 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
I went to my co-op today to drop off a headset and pick up an 8 spd cassette for the Trek 1.2. Sunrace was $11 so it won the day. I was even asked to decipher fender questions for a couple from France. It seems the folks here are averse to fenders on bikes. After a couple of years without I moved over to the fender side and haven't gone back. All of my wet weather riders have them. I stay so much drier that way. Smiles, MH
I volunteer at a high-volume big-city bike Co-op as a mechanic. Installing a set of fenders, particularly used ones, is the ultimate low-skill, high resource repair job. It can consume an hour of an experienced mechanics time, which could involve hunting around for compatible stays, clips, bolts and other attaching hardware, and making sure the damn things don't rub or get caught up in knobby tires. The other time trap is when you have to remove stripped or seized-up bolts and frame mounts, which could involve drilling, re-tapping and lots of profanities. This time could be better allocated to teaching, assessing bikes, repairing bikes, and selling bikes.

Unless you are committed to commuting in the rain, fenders add unnecessary weight, wind resistance, and they rattle around. If not installed correctly, they constitute a major safety hazard, if the end of the fender comes in contact with a knobby tire, and causes the wheel to lock up suddenly.

To all the commercial shops who sell customers fenders, and then 'refer' their clients to our Co-op for installation - thanks for that...
Old 11-14-22, 06:40 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 329 Posts
Here is a 70s French frame with some nice bits at the Rusty Spoke in Phoenix.

The Rusty Spoke does not currently have personnel for internet sales, so this will eventually get built up as a downtown daily rider unless somebody local wants to drop by and suggest other arrangements. Recent thread tentatively identifying the frame as a Follis here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ish-frame.html

A couple of thoughts/questions for those with an interest in co-ops:

1. I recently started a thread on the Forum Suggestions and User Assistance forum on the main Bike Forums page suggesting that maybe they should have a forum for co-ops. I would welcome input on that thread.

2. When a thread gets as long as this one it becomes very cumbersome to read and post. What do C&V people think about starting a continuation thread for the same purpose?
Old 11-15-22, 07:42 AM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by albrt
1. I recently started a thread on the Forum Suggestions and User Assistance forum on the main Bike Forums page suggesting that maybe they should have a forum for co-ops. I would welcome input on that thread.
As a separate section/forum outside of C&V, such a forum would inevitably contain a lot of non-C&V content; I, for one, would rather not slog through such content. So perhaps a sub-forum, at the same structural level as C&V Sales, would be in order. Yes, that's a bias. Perhaps a separate top-level Co-op forum could be created as well, just as we have a top-level marketplace forum as well as a C&V Sales forum.
Likes For madpogue:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.