Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

New member single speed question

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-20, 03:20 PM
gurdygurds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey folks, just made an account and have a couple of questions. I've been riding a Redline Monocog 29er for years. Love it and in fact I've had a few over the years and always come back to them. Anyway, recently discovered that I have easy access to loads of dirt\gravel roads in North Texas so I've been out exploring those on the Monocog. I've had Origin8 Space Bars on it for a few years and really like them but I've always wanted to try it out with some drop bars. Looking at loads of monstercross builds has pushed me to the point of wanting to go ahead and give it a go. I'm thinking of getting some Salsa Cowchippers in 44 or 46m ( I have fairly wide shoulders) and fitting them with Sram 500 brake levers. I'm running rim brakes with Kool Stop pads. Would these parts work well with what I've got? Is there something that I'm not thinking of that might cause an issue or am I overthinking and just need to buy the parts and get after it? Thanks for any insight or advice. Take it easy.
Old 04-21-20, 05:33 PM
ups

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
You might get more response in the "Bicycle Mechanics" forum.
Old 04-21-20, 05:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
There may be an issue with whether the brake levers pull enough cable for the brakes you currently have. Are they cantilevers?
Old 04-21-20, 08:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
If you are running cantis or road caliper brakes the S500 lever will work great and if you add in some high quality cables and housing you will have great braking. Those are my preferred levers for single speeds or situations where my shifting is not at the lever and it is not a vintage bike with original 7400 brake levers. I cannot speak to the bars as I like a bar with a flat top section and a lot of these gravelly bars don't have that but I have heard good things about them.

I remember a housemate of mine had a Monocog and it was a fun ride.
Old 04-21-20, 08:45 PM
gurdygurds

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks all. The brakes are the standard mountain rim brakes that the bike came with. I've just swapped out the pads. This is the biggest question I've had is whether or not the drop bar brake levers will be compatible with the brakes I have on the bike. I'm not 100% opposed to using mechanical disc brakes (BB7s are something I've used in the past) but I'm liking the simplicity and frugality of using what I've got currently . I may try this in the "Bicycle Mechanics" forum as was suggested, or........I may go CRAZY and just continue to ride the piss out of my current setup. Thanks folks.
Old 04-21-20, 08:53 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12777 Post(s)
Liked 7,694 Times in 4,083 Posts
If V-brakes (fairly likely) then get Cane Creek Drop V levers. There may be other long pull drop bar levers too.

If cantilevers, there are plenty of options in short pull road levers.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 04-21-20, 09:08 PM
gurdygurds

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yessir, sorry I should've just said V Brakes from the get go. I'll check out the Cane Creeks. Thank you!
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
If V-brakes (fairly likely) then get Cane Creek Drop V levers. There may be other long pull drop bar levers too.

If cantilevers, there are plenty of options in short pull road levers.
Likes For gurdygurds: