Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone Still Remember Araya Rims & Suzue Hubs?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-20, 07:31 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts

What do you guys think of them? Vintage single walled 27x1.25 goodness. I have since overhauled the rear hub, changed out the rear tire and replaced the front rim with a 700x38 setup.

I've found the rear rim to be extremely strong. I can ride as hard as i want (at 220lb) without worrying about anything more than some mild bending.

I've been thinking of polishing up the rim/hub and spokes with steel wool or something. Opinions?

Old 11-29-20, 07:41 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
I've had Araya rims before and they seemed fine.

Using steel wool on the spokes and such is normal practice for me on any bike I've recently picked up. I like bringing the shine back. I also use Mother's aluminum polish a lot of hubs and sometimes the rim. It just get's to be a lot of work on a rim if doing it by hand. Can restore a grey, powderly looking rim to a mirror shine thought with some effort.
Old 11-29-20, 08:46 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
I have some beauties on a Takara that are so nice clean. Unfortunately the Takara is not of my size.

Good hubs, strong builds.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 11-29-20, 09:54 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I have a lovely set of those wheels, fitted with new tires and a Regina freewheel, They came fitted to an early sixties Torpado Professional. Great wheels even though I have no bike to use them on. Anyway...

Alloy and steel wool are not a thing to mix, in my opinion. A plastic scrub pad, soap and hot water works well on alloy rims. As for dirty spokes, be they stainless steel or just galvanized, can be best cleaned by rubbing with a piece of crumpled up aluminum foil - give it a try on oxidized chrome plating also. Results always amaze me...
Old 11-29-20, 09:57 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Yes, don't rub aluminum with steel wool, as steel is harder than most alloys and will scratch it easily. As a rule, always use a material for scrubbing that will give way faster than the object that is being scrubbed! It takes longer, but it greatly reduces the risk of damage.

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 11-29-20, 10:10 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
I've been using auto wheel cleaner on wheel crud, it's not a degreaser but it does clean cranks and brakes that are encrusted rather quickly. One thing though, the cleaner can harm the tire branding, so one could be careful around the labels.
Old 11-29-20, 10:21 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
I've never had a problem with using medium or fine steel wool on ANODIZED aluminum surfaces, the steel wool seems not to affect typical satin anodized finishes at all.

I prefer not to use steel wool on galvanized spokes though, since it will effortlessly strip off whatever protective zinc that remains, and this zinc is what keeps the electrons flowing in the non-rusting direction in damp conditions. I vote for the nylon scrubbie pad on galvanized spokes.

Also, on rusted fasteners and other cheap hardware, soaking in oxalic acid or even vinegar can strip off some of the non-chrome platings faster than the rust will come off, so if you see any bubbles, then assume that's the plating foaming off.

I used some prolonged rubbing using steel wool to remove the logo from this Kalloy-made stem, and it left absolutely no evidence of abrasion on the presumably anodized finish:

Sandpaper and ScotchBrite pads are another story, because their abrasive media is much harder than any steel wool. Scotchbrite will strip anodizing with enough rubbing.

One more warning, steel wool rubbed over a dirty surface will take on whatever abrasive dirt/dust is present, so can really scratch up chrome in a hurry, yet I often use steel wool on clean chromed surfaces without any such damage.
Likes For dddd:
Old 11-30-20, 12:42 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I've never had a problem with using medium or fine steel wool on ANODIZED aluminum surfaces, the steel wool seems not to affect typical satin anodized finishes at all.

I prefer not to use steel wool on galvanized spokes though, since it will effortlessly strip off whatever protective zinc that remains, and this zinc is what keeps the electrons flowing in the non-rusting direction in damp conditions. I vote for the nylon scrubbie pad on galvanized spokes.

Also, on rusted fasteners and other cheap hardware, soaking in oxalic acid or even vinegar can strip off some of the non-chrome platings faster than the rust will come off, so if you see any bubbles, then assume that's the plating foaming off.

I used some prolonged rubbing using steel wool to remove the logo from this Kalloy-made stem, and it left absolutely no evidence of abrasion on the presumably anodized finish:

Sandpaper and ScotchBrite pads are another story, because their abrasive media is much harder than any steel wool. Scotchbrite will strip anodizing with enough rubbing.

One more warning, steel wool rubbed over a dirty surface will take on whatever abrasive dirt/dust is present, so can really scratch up chrome in a hurry, yet I often use steel wool on clean chromed surfaces without any such damage.
Totally off the original topic, but I spent a few minutes scrubbing one of those Kalloy stems with steel wool today, and was surprised by the result. The stem had a really cheesy chrome finish, and I thought I’d just take some shine out of it. Instead, the chrome came right off and I found a tan primer. Seems like a good candidate for some black rattle canning. Anybody come across this before?

Old 11-30-20, 05:53 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts

Got a set right here, bronze hubs, too.
Smooth as silk.
Old 11-30-20, 07:07 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

I'm loving my rear Araya rim. I've heard that suzue hubs are super durable.

I rehauled mine while replacing the bent axle recently. Smooth as butter.
Old 11-30-20, 07:41 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Araya rims from the '90s were quite good in my experience.
Old 12-01-20, 04:16 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Araya made quite a few wheels back in the seventies through the eighties and I’ve never had a problem with them . I’ve never run Suzue hubs but I’ve had Sunshine hubs that are very similar. Like any of those cone bearing type hubs , maintenance is key to longevity and performance. Be careful not to over tighten the cones , always check them after loading them with skewer tension on the frame. Most of my bikes have stainless steel spokes so I just wipe them with the same polish I use on the wheels and hubs, Mothers Polish .
Old 12-01-20, 06:09 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee
Totally off the original topic, but I spent a few minutes scrubbing one of those Kalloy stems with steel wool today, and was surprised by the result. The stem had a really cheesy chrome finish, and I thought I’d just take some shine out of it. Instead, the chrome came right off and I found a tan primer. Seems like a good candidate for some black rattle canning. Anybody come across this before?

Haven't encountered that but I repainted a badly scratched up black Nitto stem with black appliance epoxy. It was a near perfect match for the gloss and so far, so good on durabilty.
Old 12-01-20, 10:11 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Not totally unrelated but Suzue are still making hubs. I have a nice chrome set of disc hubs laced to Pacenti rims which look sharp.
Old 12-01-20, 10:57 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee
Likely a homemade repaint and spray chrome finish. Better to buff it all out and see what surprises lay underneath.
Old 12-01-20, 11:28 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

My suzue hub seems to be a little bit loose. At first it was perfect. Then it became pretty loose. Tightened the cones. There is now a tiny little bit of play but it doesn't seem to be getting worse this time around.
any suggestions?
Old 12-01-20, 11:36 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Originally Posted by Moisture
My suzue hub seems to be a little bit loose. At first it was perfect. Then it became pretty loose. Tightened the cones. There is now a tiny little bit of play but it doesn't seem to be getting worse this time around.
any suggestions?
Always better a little loose than tight!

Sounds like a very slight bearing cone adjustment is in order, just be sure that there is at least some play in the axle before flipping the quick-release lever or the resulting axle compression will leave your bearing over-tight and binding roughly (as felt through the bars with the wheel off the ground and turning).
It is usually impossible to detect a rear wheel bearing's roughness due to the ratchet turning unless the chain is held free of the sprocket while the wheel is turned.
Old 12-01-20, 11:39 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Always better a little loose than tight!

Sounds like a very slight bearing cone adjustment is in order, just be sure that there is at least some play in the axle before flipping the quick-release lever or the resulting axle compression will leave your bearing over-tight and binding roughly (as felt through the bars with the wheel off the ground and turning).
It is usually impossible to detect a rear wheel bearing's roughness due to the ratchet turning unless the chain is held free of the sprocket while the wheel is turned.
If I try to make it any tighter inwards, the bearings will start to bind.
Old 12-01-20, 11:52 AM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Likely a homemade repaint and spray chrome finish. Better to buff it all out and see what surprises lay underneath.
Yeah, that’s where I’m headed. If it was a home job, it was really pro. Weird that someone would go through all that trouble for a cheap stem. Of course, here I am going through the trouble to remove it!
Likes For JacobLee:
Old 12-01-20, 01:00 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Sounds like rough bearing surfaces, in which case you might see considerable improvement with new GR25 balls and fresh grease without replacing the cones.

I rotate pitted cone surfaces against the corner of a flexible "unitized" or "de-burring" wheel (essentially a grinding wheel made from compressed Scotchbrite).
This smooths pitted cones enough to improve my ability to achieve a serviceable adjustment, though perhaps good enough for only a few thousand miles before requiring additional attention. I make the cone turn opposite the wheel's turning direction and flip the cone on it's axis once during this procedure to let the abrasive attack the edges of surface defects in both directions.
Old 12-01-20, 01:04 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Usually when i see that issue the Axle is bent. I usually will strip the axle bare and roll it on something nice and flat to see if there is movement . a slight bend can be hard to see but will cause the binding like you are describing.
Old 12-01-20, 01:35 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by fleslider
Usually when i see that issue the Axle is bent. I usually will strip the axle bare and roll it on something nice and flat to see if there is movement . a slight bend can be hard to see but will cause the binding like you are describing.
The original axle was very badly bent when I replaced it and regreased the hub/added in new bearings.

I've managed to accidentally bend my current axle a bit , but its not too bad. Im a little hesitant to replace the axle again.

Someone suggested to me to try using a chromoly axle. Other than stretching the frame apart and using a wheel with a cassette, not many other options.
Old 12-01-20, 01:43 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

I've switched to a 10mm solid axle with nuts to replace a hollow quick-release axle or 3/8" (9.5mm) solid axle. Much harder to bend these(!), even my WalMart MTB holds up to hard riding using a 7s freewheel since I replaced the 3/8" solid axle with a 10mm solid CrMo axle and cones.

Last edited by dddd; 12-01-20 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-01-20, 01:45 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

I've switched to a 10mm solid axle with nuts to replace a hollow quick-release axle or 3/8" (9.5mm) solid axle. Much harder to bend these!
Don't you need to replace the entire hub to do this?

The freewheel design tends to place quite a lot of stress onto the axles and bearings, due to its design.

Might be a silly question, but how common is a cassette with a solid axle? Im going to search up how the inside of a cassette hub looks like.
Old 12-01-20, 03:27 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I still use a 1970 old school Array 27" rim on the rear wheel of the UO-8, and it has held up well over the years. These were pretty heavy for aluminum rims, and one had to be careful with the spoking pattern, because the spoke holes were forward-back and left-right bias-drilled, so only one spoke lacing pattern made sense. Unfortunately, on many of them, the valve hole came up between two same-direction holes, i.e., between left and right side spokes that run parallel instead of diverging apart.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.