Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Looking for some input on my current set up

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Looking for some input on my current set up

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-15, 10:51 PM
addictedtokicks

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Beatnik White Shadow 59cm carbon forks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Looking for some input on my current set up

Hello, newbie here so im just looking for some advice and some opinions.

I am 6 foot tall and i puchased a Jamis Beatnik 2012 59cm

when i stand on the bike above the bar (not on the seat) i can touch the floor completely with both my feet but the bar is just about up my crotch.

when i sit on the saddle, i can still touch the floor, but my feet are not flat on the ground. So the saddle is down low as it can go.

I am unsure if this bike is too big, or just the right fit... because i already bought it so its not like i can make it smaller.
My question is -- what do you think about a guy my size on a bike that size? and also what do you think about the seat being as low as it can go? it looks a little off because the seat is about even if not lower than he handle bars, which is something that i do not see often? should i raise the seat up in order to have it higher than the handle bars and not worry about being able to touch the ground?

heres a link to the ad that i bought it off of, what do you think as first bike? by the way i picked it up for $250
Jamis Beatnik 2012 Carbon Fork/ fixie

Thanks for your time and any feedback is appreciated.

P.S. not sure if this is the correct area to post this, if not please let me know where this should be posted. Thanks in advance
Old 08-07-15, 05:14 AM
Igualmente

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First, as far as appearances, I would not worry about those (YMMV!). Keep in mind that this is not a compact frame with a sloping top tube, so there might be less seat post showing than for bikes with a compact frame.

The comments I'm about to make may or may not be relevant depending on your intended use. I'm going to assume you use the bike around town.

I would say that being able to touch the ground from the saddle is important in urban settings. I cannot put a foot down flat while in the saddle on my bikes, but I can touch with my full toes and be stable for a full stop light cycle.

As far as standover clearance, I cannot provide advice. It seems to be a subject of some discussion among riders and a lot seems to depend on what riders think about the potential for injury, their own comfort with the idea, their goals and their type of riding. It is never an issue for me because I ride compact frames. I've seen manufacturers require (if that is the right word) either 2" of clearance or getting a smaller bike.

A 59cm frame is not necessarily out of your size range for comfortable riding. The size may fit fine depending on your relative proportions (cycling inseam vs. torso vs. arm lengths), or it may need some tweaking or it may be too big. The big question is how does it feel. Any aches or pains? Neck, back, hands, hips and knees all feel fine? When cycling, is there some bend in your elbows or are your arms locked straight (should be a bit of bend). When you are in the saddle, can you put the heel of either foot on the pedal with the pedal in the lowest position and have either a straight leg (but without reaching by tilting your pelvis down on that side) or is there a very slight bend in the leg? If you can't reach the pedal this way, you might have too high a saddle.

A saddle level with or even slightly lower than the handlebars is fine for many uses (though probably not in racing or anywhere that aerodynamics become important). The important question should be whether the bike fits.

If you find that you have issues with reaching forward (shoulder, neck or hand aches pains numbness) you could get a shorter stem with a higher rise angle which would bring the handlebars up and closer. This may not be necessary, but is one example of being able to tweak the fit of the bike to suit you. I think you may have a 120mm, 17 degree stem, so a 100 mm 25 degree stem might help but only if needed. Saddle setback may also help.

Anyways, can't really give you solid answers as there is too much to consider and not enough information. This may be a starting point, though.