Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Question about measuring sitbone width

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-16, 07:49 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

I see all these suggestions online for how to measure one's sitbone width at home, but I've never/rarely seen this one detail clarified: does one measure inside-inside, center-center, or outside-outside?

Specifically, I'm interested in measuring for leather saddles...I have good experiences with plastic-based saddles with a listed width of 143mm, and a leather saddle listed at 160mm. Another leather saddle listed at 146mm ended up being too narrow (I found myself sitting on the crescent part of the frame), but I'm wondering how to determine the narrowest I can go with a leather saddle. I know I need to account for a bit of extra width so that I'm not sitting on the frame, of course...
Old 02-16-16, 07:39 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Ok, now I'm confused...decided to try measuring directly with a digital caliper, and if I've done so correctly, I'm getting about 120mm...so if you go with the usual recommendation of adding an extra centimeter on each side for a leather saddle, my 146mm Gilles Berthoud saddle should theoretically work. Maybe this was actually an issue relating more to saddle setback than width (the bike I had this saddle on has a 74 degree seat tube angle)...I'm gonna try taking some more direct measurements from the saddle itself.
Old 02-19-16, 04:33 PM
agmetal

Turns out that the two Berthoud saddles measure the same on the inside of the cantle/crescent part of the frame: 104mm. However, I found that on both of them, I sit just in front of the cantle, but on the overall-narrower one, there's not enough material to support me without hitting the "corners" of that part of the frame, and setback doesn't seem to help. Neither does a more aggressive position with the bars well below the saddle. I guess I've confirmed my suspicions of this saddle just not working for me!
Old 02-20-16, 01:39 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Different saddles of the same supposed width will fit differently. It's way more complicated than get the width right and the saddle will fit. You just have to ride them and see if they work. No amount of measurement will tell you that in advance. That said, it doesn't hurt to start with a saddle that's theoretically the right width. Doesn't mean it'll work, though.

Also leather saddles work for some people in a particular range of position, but they don't work for all people or for any person without regard to position. Composite saddles are interesting in that they can be made in any shape, just like people.