Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Adjusting shifting cable for Shimano Alfine SG-S7001-8

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 06:59 PM
Morimorimori

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi, everyone.

I've bought a wheel with Shimano Alfine SG-S7001-8 IGH and installed it myself. I also bought this shifter from Jtek: Jtek Engineering Bar End Shifter For Internal Hub Geared Bicycles

I've been using this Shimano's dealer manual all the way: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-SG0004-04-ENG.pdf

At page 31 it describes process of adjusting the tension of the cable (by making two yellow strips aligned). The problem is - I don't have the "native" shifter they reference there, only the Jtek one. So instruction like "set it to 8 speed than shift down to 4" doesn't mean much to me, as I don't really know whether it means loose the cable, or fasten it.

I've tried several times already - and just can't manage to set it right. I suspect the cause of this is that I assume wrong initial position of the shifter.

Anybody experienced with this IGH willing to share their wisdom? Would be enough to just explain how this Shimano's SL-S7000-8 shifter operates. I.e. when it's 8 on it, is cable at max loose, or it's completely fastened?
Old 05-10-19, 08:30 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
I believe the Alfine hub is a "High-Normal", so if you loosen the cable fully, the hub will be in gear 8; four clicks and you should see the marks line up.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 05-11-19, 04:12 PM
Morimorimori

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
ok, I think I've figured it out. It was pretty obvious, actually

So, basically, it's as @sweeks stated: as you loose the cable, gear goes up (from 1 to 8). You actually won't be able to properly connect it under a different assumption. So you first fully free the cable with your shifter, put the nut on its other end and connect it to the pulley.

Thanks for the input, @sweeks!

Last edited by Morimorimori; 05-11-19 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-12-19, 11:31 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
more here file:///C:/Users/Robert/Downloads/SG-S700_Overhaul.pdf