Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Massive newbie mistake... anyone a bigger idiot?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-19, 08:49 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Tried to drive into my garage with two bikes mounted to the roof rack. Totaled two bikes, the rack, the roof of the car, the bottom of the garage door, the garage door opener and the trim work around the garage door frame.

Oops.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 06-21-19, 10:00 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Tried to drive into my garage with two bikes mounted to the roof rack. Totaled two bikes, the rack, the roof of the car, the bottom of the garage door, the garage door opener and the trim work around the garage door frame.

Oops.

-Kedosto
Ouch!!!! This is the biggest reason I didn’t get a roof rack because I would have done this.
Old 06-22-19, 02:12 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts

Oops.

-Kedosto
I hit a sign with a brand new, unridden mountain bike on my roof rack leaving the shop I bought it at...pulled the bike right off the rack and dented the down tube...I get mad at myself every time I look at it...On the other side of the coin, I have tried some things on that bike I might not have if it were still perfect.
Old 06-22-19, 07:07 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

Oops.

-Kedosto
I wouldn't call this a newbie mistake, and it's fairly common. I see a dozen of these bikes come through the shop every year, wondering if the frame can be repaired.
Old 06-22-19, 07:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Hanky1984
So.... Had my bike a week and loving it. But until today I've been feeling a bit disheartened. I've been struggling with hills, big time struggling!! …Anyone out there a bigger idiot? Beat that!!
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Everyone has tried to pump up a tire without opening the valve. Anyone who says they haven't is lying.
Originally Posted by Bmach
That has to be the dumbest mistake I ever heard of. Are you really that d...? No, just kidding that is to funny...
Dat ain’t nuttin. I posted to this thread, “How long does it take you to fix a flat?”
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I posted about living through a flat-tire horror story:
I just posted this PM yesterday about our cross-country tour on Merciers with fully loaded panniers in 1977:..

Back in' 72, I think it was a pretty high quality bike, costing ~$250 at that time, but we did not get a top of the line model, i.e. not Campagnolo equipped. They did have sew-up tires and we actually used the bikes for touring pretty well in Michigan and Ontario.

We then used them to ride cross country and the sew up tires we're the worst part of the trip due to an excessive number of flats, the difficulty of repair, and the need to take a couple days off to find a city with a shop that sold them, but we made it.
…When we did our cross-country honeymoon, we brought six spare tires. It seemed we would get a flat tire about every three days, just as the sticky glue-grime wore off our hands.

Twice on the tour we had to ditch the bikes in a motel and hitchhike to a city to buy more tires (in Flagstaff, AZ and Pueblo, CO), losing two otherwise rest days, plus all the delays and time expended fixing flats.

We switched wheels soon after arriving in Boston.
Back in '77 it was a lot harder to get good information--no Internet!
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I suspect that being a newbie vs experienced cyclists only changes the specifics of the idiotic mistakes, and not how big an idiot we are with the mistake. In my experience anyway.
Old 06-22-19, 04:00 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
I once test rode a customer's bike just before he was picking it up for a week long tour. He had us set it up "continental" so the front brake was on the right. As I was riding back to the shop I saw the customer, waved with my left hand and pointed to the bike as I was braking with the right. Landed on my face.
Old 06-22-19, 04:02 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts

Oops.

-Kedosto
I think we have a winner here. Dave
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 06-24-19, 09:53 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Lessee, other dumb stuff... oh, yeah, recently crosschained big ring and biggest cog.
Well I am possibly the dumbest cyclist ever. I do this at least 4-5 times a ride and have ever since I started riding (and will continue to do so as long as I ride).
Old 06-24-19, 10:02 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Tried to remove the freehub from a Shimano 600 tri-color hub while it was not laced to a wheel. Decided to use a pair of vice grips for leverage. Vice grip teeth sank into the hub like it was made of butter.
Old 06-24-19, 10:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
We all make mistakes now and again.

Facepalm.jpg

Yesterday morning, I was out early... cruising along. Stopped for a second and noticed a new slit in my rear tire. It looked like something light grey was in the bottom of the slit.

So, I didn't have my knife that I normally probe with, but I thought I'd probe the slit with a small allen wrench.

Whatever it was, it didn't pop out easily. So I probed more...

Then...

Psssssssssssss

It turns out I had a hole through the tire, and I was probing the tube that was poking out.

I was running late (or would have been on time).

Tossed in a new tube. Patch over the hole in the tire (without letting it dry properly). And, down the road again.
Old 06-25-19, 07:44 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Hanky1984
Anyone out there a bigger idiot? Beat that!!
Well, I'm not 300# so I don't think I can be a bigger idiot. But I can be quite the idiot none the less...
Old 06-25-19, 11:00 AM
BenBoozer

Bikes: 2020 Domane SL 5, 2016 Crossrip Comp

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 17 Posts
On a recent commute to work, I ran over a piece of coil spring about an inch long. No problem, I’ll get off the bike and replace the tube only to find I left my saddle bag at home with spare tube, tools and CO2. Call the wife to bring it and drop me off at work.
End of the day I am removing the tube and putting in a new one when I attach the only CO2 cylinder I have and hear a loud hiss. Turns out I removed and then remounted the same tube with a hole in it. New one sitting there on the floor.
Likes For BenBoozer:
Old 06-25-19, 11:14 AM
washed up

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Tried to bang in loose bar end plug while riding. Don’t try it!
Too funny...I thought I was the only one to do that.
Old 06-25-19, 11:16 AM
Halfpoundbobby
FNG

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I recently installed a master link from a retailer I really shouldn't have and went on a ride without a spare.

I actually broke both sides of it clean in the middle. The two ends of my chain had both halves of each...half still in there.

Good thing I only made it a mile from home.
Old 06-26-19, 04:49 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I know of someone that drove to a group ride and forgot to bring their bike.
I've had everything loaded in the car for a ride, bike on the roof... Forgot the front wheel...
Likes For zjrog:
Old 06-27-19, 03:00 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
When I first started riding my first bike had crank arms held on by cotter pins. After overhauling the bottom bracket and putting everything back together I went for a test ride. I rolled down the driveway and soon discovered that instead of the arms being 180 degrees to each other they were parallel. Hilarious trying to pedal that!
Old 06-27-19, 04:07 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Yep, I did that once. ONCE.
Old 06-27-19, 04:14 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Ouch!!!! This is the biggest reason I didn’t get a roof rack because I would have done this.
Ditto on this one. and it wasn't even my garage, it was my dad's house, no idea why i decided just then to drive on in!
Old 06-27-19, 09:06 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
I think we have a winner! That made me literally LOL.
Did me too!
Old 06-27-19, 09:18 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I routed my chain under the chain stay and around the back nub on the derailleur at the same time
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-27-19, 09:18 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

Oops.

-Kedosto
If that had been me, I would NEVER have lived it down.

Didn't they make an insurance commercial about you?
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 06-28-19, 01:48 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
If that had been me, I would NEVER have lived it down.

Didn't they make an insurance commercial about you?
Wife was in the car with me. We'd just finished a great ride and were engrossed in conversation, reliving our triumphs and stumbles from the mornings ride. When I attempted to whip into the garage there was a horrible crunching noise as the car came to an instant stop. The headliner punched down between us, and the metal garage door buckled loudly. We were both thrown violently into our seatbelts. I should never have been going that fast. My stomach dropped and a cold chill swept over me as we looked at each other in the moment.

The car, a Subi Outback, was wedged under the two steel framed MTB's. I couldn't pull the bikes out they were wedged in so tight. I had to really give it the gas to back out, and doing so pulled the garage door off the track and the garage door head unit fell from the ceiling and hit the floor. The track was bent anyway, so it was a goner. The wooden framing around the door was splintered with shards strewn around a blast radius of about 15 feet. It was truly a disaster of epic proportions.

We made an insurance claim for the car only and paid out of pocket for everything else. I've never used a roof mounted bike rack again.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 06-28-19, 02:22 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
That has to be the dumbest mistake I ever heard of. Are you really that d...? No, just kidding that is to funny.
I know of someone that drove to a group ride and forgot to bring their bike.

I personally went on vacation and forgot to load my cycling clothes. Good excuse to by more though.
I've driven 3 hours to a solo mountain ride I'd planned meticulously in advance, but realized when I arrived that I'd forgotten my shoes
Old 06-28-19, 07:01 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Wow, this thread is really bringing the woe.
Old 06-28-19, 07:21 PM
realyfishy

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine01, Wilier GTS, Nishiki FS2

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Done that............!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.