Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Newbie questions

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-19, 12:48 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckschreiner
That is a really low bike! Yow... And then a really tall 2nd bike which looks wild. What do you like most about recumbants? (Are they usually called 'bent'?)
The older I got, the more uncomfortable my road bike got, until finally it got to the point where I was ready to give up cycling. Now the only discomfort I get is sore quads from pushing too hard. So "comfort" is what I like best. As a bonus, the two pictured make me much faster than I deserve to be.

You can see a good view of the first bike in the "what do old people ride..." thread. The thread is huge, but it's right on page 1.
Old 09-05-19, 03:27 PM
mrt2you

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
to the original poster.
you might want to look at a close out new non current year model bikes.
by me erics bikes is selling a 2017 specialized roubaix sport, sl4 frame, with 105 11 speed rim brake in a 52 for $1500. i just bought a 2014 roubaix expert sl4, same frame, and absolutely love the ride.

they also have a 2019 roubaix base, sl5 frame, with the future shock front suspension. tiagra 10 spd rim brake for $1600.
they also have a 2018 diverge sport, 9r frame, with future shock ft suspension, tiagra 10 speed, rim brake for $1899. this bike will accept up to 42c tires to smooth out the bumps even better. it also has braze on for fenders and has 3 braze on's for 3 water bottles.

all the above bikes have carbon frames.
Old 09-05-19, 03:35 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Some of us have tried multiple saddles to find one that was comfortable. Shorts, too. And getting the position sorted out can be a process. How much drop from the saddle to the bar?
You can set the top of drop bars to be in the same place as a flat bar.
That’s a good point as the top position on drop bars is at about the same elevation as flat bars.

Also, specific exercises, massage therapy and chiropractic treatments can also have a positive effect on back and neck flexibility and pain...
Old 09-05-19, 08:18 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
One easy $20.00 possible "fix" you can try that I didn't see above. (Maybe I missed it.) Have a stem riser installed. Your neck won't be stressed and sitting on the saddle rather than bent over the saddle may fix your posterior problem. $20.00 is a lot cheaper than a new bike (obviously) At worst you've wasted $20.00, at best you've solved your problem for only $20.00. Good luck
Likes For MAK:
Old 09-05-19, 08:52 PM
E53 
Chuggin' Along

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I was getting pain in all those places until I got a pro fit, and went to a chiropractor.
Old 09-05-19, 10:55 PM
chuckschreiner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
One easy $20.00 possible "fix" you can try that I didn't see above. (Maybe I missed it.) Have a stem riser installed. Your neck won't be stressed and sitting on the saddle rather than bent over the saddle may fix your posterior problem. $20.00 is a lot cheaper than a new bike (obviously) At worst you've wasted $20.00, at best you've solved your problem for only $20.00. Good luck
That hasn't been mentioned but has crossed my mind... maybe taller stem and new saddle would fix things... although I also suspect this bike is too big for me.

Question: if a seat works on one bike, will it probably work on a different bike?
Old 09-06-19, 02:32 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
If you're not committed to the full recumbent bike. You could try a feet forward designed bike like the Electra Townie. www.electrabike.com. They're comfortable and easy to ride. Or just a cruiser. Good luck.
Old 09-06-19, 06:30 AM
mrt2you

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
on the stem change.
does your old specialized bike have a specialized stem? if so specialized bikes of your era had stems with replaceable shims. they vary from 0 to 20 degrees. a 20 shim is hard to find but 16 is easy. and best of all they are cheaper than a entire stem.
make sure you have the correct size steer tube for the replacement stem. i had a 07 reobaix with this stem. i am not sure if your bike, a little older, can use it.

this ebay listing is $$ but it explains specialized adjustable stems pretty good.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Specialized...4AAOSwWkFcX4lI
Old 09-06-19, 07:06 AM
MAK

That hasn't been mentioned but has crossed my mind... maybe taller stem and new saddle would fix things... although I also suspect this bike is too big for me.

Question: if a seat works on one bike, will it probably work on a different bike?
Regarding your seat question...Not necessarily. I have a Brooks B-17 on my hybrid and my touring bike where both have relaxed to fairly upright positioning/geometry but I'm sure the B-17 would be excruciating (for me) on my road bike which has a more aggressive geometry. That said, I put a B-17 narrow on my single speed and had discomfort but when I put a stem riser on the bike the seat became less troublesome. I'll likely change it out next Spring for something more comfortable. FYI, there are some bike shops that will let you road test various saddles if you want to invest your time.
Old 09-06-19, 08:16 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,024 Times in 4,468 Posts

It does for me but I always try to duplicate the position from one bike to the other, even the mountain bike.

I just saw the pics of your bike in the link above and the set-up looks really wonky. Why don't you take that bike to a fitter or even a friend who knows about this stuff and try and figure out what you need? You might be able to get comfortable or even close by switching stuff around. At least then you would have a baseline of measurements.
The last time I bought a road bike I road tested one the shop had on the floor and it was so uncomfortable I couldn't ride it more than a few feet. I knew I could make it work because I know the measurements I like. I didn't buy that bike but the one I did buy I changed the bars, stem, seatpost, and saddle to make it work,
Old 09-06-19, 01:13 PM
MAK

Originally Posted by MAK
Regarding your seat question...Not necessarily. I have a Brooks B-17 on my hybrid and my touring bike where both have relaxed to fairly upright positioning/geometry but I'm sure the B-17 would be excruciating (for me) on my road bike which has a more aggressive geometry. That said, I put a B-17 narrow on my single speed and had discomfort but when I put a stem riser on the bike the seat became less troublesome. I'll likely change it out next Spring for something more comfortable. FYI, there are some bike shops that will let you road test various saddles if you want to invest your time.
Let me add that if I went from road bike to road bike, the seat would most likely be fine if transferred. What I want to say is that in my experience, some seats provided a better comfort level on some style bikes, while other bike styles require (for me) a different type of seat. It's your butt; no one can dictate to you what seat you must use or which is best. Only your butt can make the decision for you.

Mike

Last edited by MAK; 09-06-19 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-06-19, 02:35 PM
teejaywhy

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Fit
Posture
Core strength

These work together to provide ride comfort.

Poor posture can be caused by poor fit or just not understanding how to ride. I was experiencing neck pain and hand numbness. My bike fitter made some small adjustments to the seat height/position and my cleat location but also observed that I was hunched over, scrunching my shoulders and putting too much weight on my hands. Along with the fit tweaks, adopting a more "athletic" posture resulted in a much more comfortable ride and no more neck pain or hand numbness.

Core strength will help with the tendency to put too much weight on the handlebars, allowing the better athletic posture and a lighter touch on the handlebars.

Perineum pain is very likely a fit/seat position issue.

Definitely see if the bike can be fit. A good fitting will cost $150 minimally, and should take a few hours. Maybe you don't need a new bike?

If you do end up looking for a new bike... A carbon frame, disc brake, Shimano 105 will list in the $2500-2800 range but look for last year closeouts and you should find something in the $2K-2.2K range. Examples:

https://www.rei.com/product/145815/c...-105-bike-2019

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/defy-advanced-2
Old 09-06-19, 04:31 PM
chuckschreiner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Fit
Posture
Core strength

These work together to provide ride comfort.

Poor posture can be caused by poor fit or just not understanding how to ride. I was experiencing neck pain and hand numbness. My bike fitter made some small adjustments to the seat height/position and my cleat location but also observed that I was hunched over, scrunching my shoulders and putting too much weight on my hands. Along with the fit tweaks, adopting a more "athletic" posture resulted in a much more comfortable ride and no more neck pain or hand numbness.

Core strength will help with the tendency to put too much weight on the handlebars, allowing the better athletic posture and a lighter touch on the handlebars.

Perineum pain is very likely a fit/seat position issue.

Definitely see if the bike can be fit. A good fitting will cost $150 minimally, and should take a few hours. Maybe you don't need a new bike?

If you do end up looking for a new bike... A carbon frame, disc brake, Shimano 105 will list in the $2500-2800 range but look for last year closeouts and you should find something in the $2K-2.2K range. Examples:

https://www.rei.com/product/145815/c...-105-bike-2019

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/defy-advanced-2
Is there ANYTHING that doesn't bring posture/core into the picture? I doubt it! And no doubt, this is part of my issue.

I actually think there is a decent chance (25%?) my bike can be adjusted to work for me much better. My wife and I are off for vacation Monday. When I get back, I am going to start at the beginning with it, and a fitting.

I have really gotten great input from you guys and feel like I have a much better idea of what I am doing. Thanks again! Chuck
Old 09-07-19, 05:14 AM
Happytrails1963

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I learned a lot from reading this thread too. Good luck Chuck with getting it sorted out. Sounds like you've got a good plan.
Old 09-07-19, 07:46 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Is there ANYTHING that doesn't bring posture/core into the picture? I doubt it!
Actually, the recumbent solution doesn't require any core. In fact, I have to do core exercises because I get none at all from riding.
Old 09-07-19, 08:10 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
I would need a degree in engineering to thread that chain!

[img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/cfcd0dff-...f-1557a8e89e54
Old 09-08-19, 10:23 AM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Your fit will be 'evolutionary' as your fitness changes. Bring a few needed tools. Go ride somewhere quiet and level. Get the 'Zen' thing going on. Spin an easy gear while on the drops and look at the road 10 feet ahead. Do you feel like you are sliding forwards or backwards in the saddle? Is saddle too wide and cutting into rear end? Do your hips feel 'anchored' or 'wobbly' while pedaling? Do your legs seem cramped while spinning or do they seem too stretched out? Do your heels feel like they are turned in out out? Do you feel like your feet have too much pressure in the toebox area? Do your fingers feel like they have to reach up or down to get to the levers when on the drops? While on the drops do your hands feel like you have them bent down or up? Do your elbows feel like they are stretched out forward or inward? Does your back seem to 'hunched' or too flat?

There are a whole host of scenarios you can entertain here. It doesn't sound very scientific but these little exercises can help. 'Feel' for what isn't right then make teeny-tiny changes to your bike and kit. You may need wedges for your cleats or shoe inserts, too. When I get on my bikes I feel pretty 'slouchy' and relaxed on the drops and it takes more effort for me to sit up on the hoods! Good luck with getting your fit sorted. It can be a fun thing to do!
Old 09-08-19, 11:26 AM
chuckschreiner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boxkite
Your fit will be 'evolutionary' as your fitness changes. Bring a few needed tools. Go ride somewhere quiet and level. Get the 'Zen' thing going on. Spin an easy gear while on the drops and look at the road 10 feet ahead. Do you feel like you are sliding forwards or backwards in the saddle? Is saddle too wide and cutting into rear end? Do your hips feel 'anchored' or 'wobbly' while pedaling? Do your legs seem cramped while spinning or do they seem too stretched out? Do your heels feel like they are turned in out out? Do you feel like your feet have too much pressure in the toebox area? Do your fingers feel like they have to reach up or down to get to the levers when on the drops? While on the drops do your hands feel like you have them bent down or up? Do your elbows feel like they are stretched out forward or inward? Does your back seem to 'hunched' or too flat?

There are a whole host of scenarios you can entertain here. It doesn't sound very scientific but these little exercises can help. 'Feel' for what isn't right then make teeny-tiny changes to your bike and kit. You may need wedges for your cleats or shoe inserts, too. When I get on my bikes I feel pretty 'slouchy' and relaxed on the drops and it takes more effort for me to sit up on the hoods! Good luck with getting your fit sorted. It can be a fun thing to do!
Thanks. Those are great prompts. On our way to holiday for a couple of weeks but these prompts will guide me when we get back. I think I’m going to start just by replacing the stem on current bike and then assess. It may be possible to get my bike to work...at least week enough to prove I am serious. If current bike is close enough (and not misery-making) and I really do ride 6 hrs/week and look forward to it, then I will look at new bike.
Old 09-08-19, 06:04 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Take some of the bar tape off so you can adjust the levers up or down. You will find that rotating/raising/lowering the bars one way or another will get your hands comfortable enough but then the levers might be in the wrong spot! It's crazy but one adjustment will affect others in many cases. It is fun stuff, though!
Old 09-08-19, 07:00 PM
chuckschreiner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boxkite
Take some of the bar tape off so you can adjust the levers up or down. You will find that rotating/raising/lowering the bars one way or anot will get your hands comfortable enough but then the levers might be in the wrong spot! It's crazy but one adjustment will affect others in many cases. It is fun stuff, though!
Ha! I am sure that (one change impacts other stuff) is true. I really want to learn how to work on my bike and keep it in great shape. So... that’ll happen. Like most stuff where I learn how to do stuff, i am sure I’ll have moments where I goof up/get frustrated. But if I get to the point that I really know how to keep the bike fresh... nice.

I am going on vacation with wife tomorrow (we’re going to walk 115 km) - when we get back in a couple of weeks I am going to have a bunch of time to open up and will start working on my bike. Main goal is to get a bike that I can sit on and ride 2+ hrs with no major issues.