Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's Your Worst "Loss" While Riding?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's Your Worst "Loss" While Riding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-19, 11:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Took a long weekend tour this past weekend. Friday night I accidentally left some uncooked pasta on my campsite picnic table. In the middle of the night a raccoon made off with the bag. Found it in the brush in the morning. Looks like he did really eat much, if any. Guess it was to al dente for him.
Old 09-30-19, 11:41 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I've managed to loose 2 wedding rings while on long tours. When the tours are over a month long, I tend to lose a little weight which makes my ring loose. After losing 2, I finally figured out that they came off when I removed my gloves. Iwas pretty sure where I lost one of them, but it was 70 miles back over some steep hills, and I was not that sure.

I crashed and didn't realize I'd lost my computer until the next day while checking the bike for damage. I knew exactly were I went down, and drove out to the spot. I found the computer right where my bike landed in the middle of the road.

Last edited by Doug64; 09-30-19 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 12:23 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Worst I've ever lost was a water bottle. I did the Whiskey 25 (MTB race) the same day as the race but not as a registered participant, so all the racers had done the course before me that day. Since I wasn't racing I stopped when I saw something interesting. Could have had a veritable plethora of water bottles, but I actually stopped for the nice pair of sunglasses and the bike multi-tool. I've used the glasses a few times, and the multi-tool is currently in my saddle bag.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 09-30-19, 02:10 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
On the bike, a glove or two. But in recharging my light I lost the 100 bike light in my apartment. NEVER did find it and had to buy a new one. I have a feeling it fell in trash basket and got thrown away. Or someday I may come across it under something.... its my hope.
Old 09-30-19, 08:46 PM
madsen89

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worst loss was the credit card out of the saddle bag. Not a big deal, just a big hassle.
Biggest near losses were on my Lake Ontario tour that I just completed a few days ago. I left my Showers Pass jacket on the rear panniers and didn't realize it until I was 3 miles down the road. I was halfway back when someone in a truck flagged me down and asked if I lost a jacket and handed it to me. That following night a raccoon stole my handlebar bag from my tent vestibule and started dragging it away. I started chasing it and it eventually gave it up and ran off. It was then that I realized that my passport was in that bag. That would have been an interesting story to tell when trying to get back home. The passport stayed a lot closer to me the rest of the tour.
Old 10-01-19, 05:26 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Last Winter, I started a ride on the General Van Fleet trail in Florida with a brand new, never worn before, wind shell. After it warmed up, I folded it up and velcroed it under the seat. At the turn around, I noticed it was gone and quickly retraced my route to no avail. Some dirty rat bastard on the trail got a brand new jacket.

Old 10-01-19, 06:07 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by madsen89
That following night a raccoon stole my handlebar bag from my tent vestibule and started dragging it away.
Heh. Not sure if I mentioned it in this thread, but a 'coon tried to make off with an empty pannier of mine. I was camping in bear country in New Jersey. I had put all attractants in the bath house for safety. The pannier was completely empty, but during the day it had contained a very aromatic everything bagel. I have to assume that was the allure. Glad I was able to shoo him away before he got far.
Old 10-01-19, 06:33 AM
ceebee4

Bikes: 1970 Raleigh Super Course; 1985 Team Fuji; 200? On-One InBred

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Sunglasses, this summer. Had them about 3 weeks. Loved how they felt and looked. Then, after a cloudy morning ride... gone
Old 10-01-19, 06:51 AM
ThreadedSpoke

Bikes: 2016 Pinarello Rahza H Carbon

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
Jammed my iPhone, wallet, and keys in to my saddle bag, along with the flat kit and tool pod, and forgot to zip it closed. After I was about three miles from home on a busy MUP, I heard the sound of the keys bouncing out and hitting the rear wheel. I stopped and immediately found the keys and most of my tools. Then I little further back I found my iPhone. But no wallet! I spent a very long time looking, riding the entire route back and forth very slowly, but nothing. I eventually gave up and went home.

As I was on the phone attempting to cancel my credit cards, the doorbell rang and a good Samaritan was standing there with my wallet! I've personally returned many a lost wallet in my day, so it felt good to be on the other end of it for once! At the end of the day, I just lost a pair of plastic tire levers.
I have been on BOTH sides of the fence on this one. Lost wallets are deal breakers, so I no longer carry one!
Old 10-01-19, 07:05 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
My Moss tent which went awol on the Great Divide Trail! ...

https://www.bikeforums.net/20945273-post27.html
Old 10-01-19, 12:05 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Got lucky on Sunday. Almost lost a power meter/crank arm. It's spaced out due to a frame fitment issue. I wasn't careful last time I attached it to the bike. It totally came off while riding and was lucky it didn't slide all the way off and bounce around against the ground. Stayed clipped in also.

That could have been really ugly depending on where that crank arm went.

Permanently solving the problem with new rear brake to eliminate the fitment issue and am not riding the bike again till I fix it proper.
Old 10-01-19, 01:09 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Super-nice Cygolite I neglected to remove from bars when I locked up and went inside a store. Haven't done that again!
Old 10-01-19, 02:15 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
"I went out bicycling one afternoon, and suddenly, as I was riding along a country road, I realized that I no longer loved Alys. I had had no idea until this moment that my love for her was even lessening. The problem presented by this discovery was very grave. We had lived ever since our marriage in the closest possible intimacy. We always shared a bed, and neither of us ever had a separate dressing-room. We talked over together everything that ever happened to us… I knew that she was still devoted to me. I had no wish to be unkind, but I believed in those days…that in intimate relations one should speak the truth." - Bertrand Russell, 1901
Likes For tcs:
Old 10-01-19, 02:19 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Mine's an almost. Went on my ride this morning, got home around lunchtime (on my road bike if this matters). Took my frame pump off of my bike so I could hang it up in the garage, went in to shower.

Later, went to the grocery store. Came out and went to open my trunk to put groceries in, and there sat my frame pump in the gap between the trunk lid and rear window, right where I left it...
Likes For mprince:
Old 10-01-19, 05:21 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Like Seth AZ my worst loss was a water bottle. It was a long ride, too!
Old 10-02-19, 02:33 AM
MrFingers

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
MrsFingers lost a through-axle once (loading in bike, placed TA on the curb in the parking garage while demounting the wheel, forgot to put it in the car), and only noticed when she got home. Luckily it was late in the evening, so she raced back, and it was still there where she left it. Otherwise it would have been an expensive & difficult lesson.

I once lost a bottle cage + holder, that came undone on one of those brutal Belgian cobbled roads. The holder cracked, and the bottle went flying into a ditch. Tried getting it out (because littering), but the bottle didn't survive the impact. Apart from that I always arrive with what I departed with, except for some calories & motivation, those always get used up during the ride...
Likes For MrFingers:
Old 10-02-19, 03:59 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Fortunately 70 lbs over the last five years.... Hopefully they are not trying to find me....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 10-02-19, 12:24 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
For years I have frequently lost my right speedplay cleat cover (including the newer 'walkable' cleat cover version).
Luckily I pedal with a guy that loses his left cleat cover, so it cuts our replacement costs in half.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-02-19, 12:32 PM
indyfabz

I lost my cool during a charity ride. Some idiot almost took me out my trying to squeeze by me on the right. I told him I would knock his teeth out if he tried that again.
Old 10-03-19, 06:46 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I lost the entire bike when it got stolen during a ride.

I lose time on long rides when that ride became "too long" and I was suffering just to get home riding very slow as the energy wasn't there anymore.
Old 10-03-19, 06:58 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Fortunately 70 lbs over the last five years.... Hopefully they are not trying to find me....
Old 10-03-19, 12:52 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I lost my dignity when I got dropped on a huge paceline.

I've lost a few things including front light, rear blinky light, water bottle, mini-toolset, and a protein bar from my back pocket.
Likes For Sojodave:
Old 10-03-19, 01:44 PM
SkepTeach

Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
My worst loss, so far, was a bit of skin from my face, shoulder, knuckles, and ankle during what seemed like a slow-motion crash on a paved biking and running trail this past July. Ironically, I have always been slightly paranoid to ride in traffic, but my only serious accident has, so far, been on a trail.

What did I learn?

1. Inertia isn't enough to propel a road bike out of gravel and back onto a trail approaching it at a steep angle - it'll happily lay over though!
2. Even at relatively low speeds, helmets are a lifesaver.
3. Knock of POCs actually stand up pretty well to abuse and likely saved me from a fractured orbital socket.
4. A visit to the ER can add up to $2600 in rather short order.
5. And, the worst part of anaesthesia, and I mean *worst*, is the ironic feeling of liquid fire being injected into your skin.

But you know what they say, what doesn't kill you....just costs you a lot of money and a bit of confidence.
Likes For SkepTeach:
Old 10-03-19, 03:41 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I cracked a phone and probably bruised some ribs in the same crash about 2 years ago.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-03-19, 11:13 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
On the first day of a 2-month tour my daughter lost the poles to a relatively expensive UL tent that she was sharing with her sister.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.