Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Geometry comparator that takes saddle & seatpost into account?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-16, 12:52 AM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

I've been thinking a lot about the differences between a few of my bikes, and I happened across this link tonight: GearInches.com » Bike Geometry Comparator

So far, I'm finding it quite interesting, and there's a lot you can do with it, but I'm frustrated that it doesn't give me any way to include my saddle position into the comparison. Does anyone know of a similar calculator, or perhaps a modified version of this one, that takes that into account? I know about BikeCAD, but that doesn't give the easy and immediate comparison I'm looking for without paying for the Pro version.
Old 04-04-16, 01:54 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
My friend and I figured out something of a workaround. What's pictured is two of my bikes, which have very similar geometry. The geometry charts from the manufacturers don't have all of the same information, so a couple things were guessed at. The program used to make these diagrams doesn't allow for saddle placement on the diagram, so the seat tube angles are modified to account for seatpost setback. The diagram shown assumes identical saddles, which isn't the case in the real world at this time, but it's possible to work out the saddle placement based on the clamp position. The handlebar position shown for the "green" bike is based on changes that could be made to more closely match the real-life position on the "red" one.