Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Diamondback Podium Vitesse Disc?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thoughts on Diamondback Podium Vitesse Disc?

Old 05-22-18, 08:27 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Great deal - wish it was SRAM
Buy Brandon McNulty's or Adam de Vos's

Old 05-22-18, 08:43 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic
I like Diamondback and I've ridden both Podium and Century and they're both great, comfortable bikes. If you like it, it's a good choice. The Century is a fast, light endurance bike, so if you're looking for something more comfortable, the geometry on it is considerably more relaxed.
+1

I'd probably pick a frameset with endurance or more "traditional" road geometry if I were buying another. I already have an early 2000's Lemond Buenos Aires frameset so will be building that up next. I know its not as light as carbon, but its still got that Reynolds 853 "magic."

Edit: @Lazyass, congrats on the new bike!

Last edited by ptempel; 05-22-18 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-22-18, 09:30 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by MSignore
bike looks great. what is your height/inseam? Need to order one of these podiums today as i just sold my other bike! Still can't decide what model though
I'm 5'10" w/ a 32in inseam. I do run my saddles a little lower than average, 71cm from the center of the BB to the top edge of the saddle with that crank length. And because I'm getting old I started going with less reach, hence the shorter stem. Sucks the stock HED stem was too long for me because it's pretty nice.

You get a bunch of stuff with it. The bottle cages, that carbon paste for the seatpost, block off plates to use Di2, extra FD and RD hangers and even a little torque wrench with the allen bits.

I went on a proper ride this morning at sunup for 33 miles and I could ride a century in total comfort. It's a great bike for chipseal roads. Even the stock Prologo saddle is good on my rear (and nice looking) so I'll keep it. It's super responsive, the brakes are quiet, it's all good. Deal of the year at $1124. The only issue is that dang brake hose rattling inside the tube. I did some research and I'm going to order some 9mm x 6mm foam tubing and slide it over the hose inside.
Old 05-23-18, 01:27 PM
MSignore
MSignore

Bikes: 2012 Diamondback Podium 1 as my starter. Saving up for something better.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Placed an order for the e’tape disc as well. Will net out under $1100 after the activejunky 3% clickthrough as well which they already confirmed $44 back in my account. Ultegra was tempting, but I will probly want to go deeper carbon wheels anyways. And can use the savings to just swap out to the new shifters down the road if compatible and if I hate the 505 ones.

Thanks for the input and photos that everyone shared.
Old 05-23-18, 01:36 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
And can use the savings to just swap out to the new shifters down the road if compatible and if I hate the 505 ones.
The RS-505s work really well; as long as your hands fit them okay, I couldn't see someone being disappointed with their performance. And while they look awkward and bulbous, they're not as offensive from the saddle and I actually think that the knob is a kind of reassuring on choppy sections of road.
Old 05-23-18, 01:41 PM
MSignore
MSignore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea I am sure they will be fine and I hope to just stick with them. 44cm bars though...I’ve downsized before which relieved a numb hand issue so am thinking I will need to do that again.
Old 05-23-18, 02:06 PM
Lazyass

I measured my 505's and my Ultegra 6700's, and the 505's stick out a full inch further. These things are huge. If you ride with your hands glued to the hoods all the time like so many do today it will affect your reach. But they feel great to me. I like the 44cm bars, too.

FYI for another issue I had. The seatpost was clicking inside the seat tube every pedal stroke so I used my little pipe cutter that I bought to cut steerer tubes and chopped about 3 inches off and it's good now. If you don't run your saddle as low as me it may not be a problem.
Old 05-23-18, 04:24 PM
MSignore
MSignore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the call out on the rattles. Tracking them down is the toughest part sometimes.

Did your 56 show show up with 172.5 crank as listed? My 4iiii from old bike will bolt right on.
Old 05-23-18, 05:01 PM
Lazyass

Thanks for the call out on the rattles. Tracking them down is the toughest part sometimes.

Did your 56 show show up with 172.5 crank as listed? My 4iiii from old bike will bolt right on.
Yeah 172.5
Old 05-23-18, 05:07 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Anyone know if the rim brake Podium E'tape will fit 28s? I found a blurb about it but haven't been able to confirm. I've been out of the road racing bike game for a while and looking to get back into it, just with a little larger tires.
Old 05-23-18, 05:21 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Anyone know if the rim brake Podium E'tape will fit 28s? I found a blurb about it but haven't been able to confirm. I've been out of the road racing bike game for a while and looking to get back into it, just with a little larger tires.
It's supposed to have the same frame as the disc version (minus mounts of course). Another mistake on their site is the tires. The Conti's are listed as 23c but I got the 25c's. And on the Flanders wheels I measured them with my calipers at exactly 28c, with room to spare. The caliper version is listed with the same wheels and tires.

The DB website is totally jacked up. So is Raleigh's, which is the same company. Last year I was looking at a steel Raleigh disc bike. The picture showed it had skewers, but the specs listed thru axles. I sent a message asking what it was and was replied that it had thru axles. A couple of weeks later they changed it in the specs to skewers.

Monday I received a reply from my email telling them the geometry charts were messed up. The guy admitted they were jacked but basically said all I needed to be concerned with was the recommended rider height for each size. As if a 2cm difference in ST length or 10mm in HT length is irrelevant. Just stupid.

Last edited by Lazyass; 05-23-18 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-23-18, 05:28 PM
MSignore
MSignore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It also looks like the rim brake version might be a year older frame as it has the integrated seatpost clamp in the photo.
Old 05-23-18, 05:35 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
It's supposed to have the same frame as the disc version (minus mounts of course). Another mistake on their site is the tires. The Conti's are listed as 23c but I got the 25c's. And on the Flanders wheels I measured them with my calipers at exactly 28c, with room to spare. The caliper version is listed with the same wheels and tires.

The DB website is totally jacked up. So is Raleigh's, which is the same company. Last year I was looking at a steel Raleigh disc bike. The picture showed it had skewers, but the specs listed thru axles. I sent a message asking what it was and was replied that it had thru axles. A couple of weeks later they changed it in the specs to skewers.

Monday I received a reply from my email telling them the geometry charts were messed up. The guy admitted they were jacked but basically said all I needed to be concerned with was the recommended rider height for each size. As if a 2cm difference in ST length or 10mm in HT length is irrelevant. Just stupid.
Thanks for the response, just what I needed to know. I'm still waffling on rim or disc but I'm pretty set to getting in on this.
Old 05-23-18, 06:07 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Thanks for the response, just what I needed to know. I'm still waffling on rim or disc but I'm pretty set to getting in on this.
Better hurry, the extra 25% off ends Friday. My biggest thing is brake squeal and rotor rub and mine have been silent so far. I only notice the brakes when I squeeze the lever. Like mentioned above, the frame of the rim version looks like the older model. Pictures don't do this bike justice, it looks pretty cool in person.
Old 05-24-18, 10:36 AM
MSignore
MSignore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also wanted to add that DB confirmed the rim brake version doesn’t come “ride ready”. Which means you will need to do a little more assembly and tuning like adjusting derailleur and they even mentioned tensioning wheels. Makes the disc version an even better deal
Old 05-24-18, 05:42 PM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
For anyone that got this deal, how is the bike?

My BB started creaking, but everybike I've had with BB30 creaks, so no biggie.
Old 05-24-18, 06:03 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by jordanair45
For anyone that got this deal, how is the bike?

My BB started creaking, but everybike I've had with BB30 creaks, so no biggie.
With 114 miles on mine in three days I can't think of anything on this bike that's negative, except they should have set up the rear brake hose so it wouldn't rattle inside the frame. My BB is silent, it has the Praxis conversion one and not a press fit. All I can say is this bike is bad ass and the deal of the year.
Old 05-24-18, 06:29 PM
jordanair45
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lazyass
With 114 miles on mine in three days I can't think of anything on this bike that's negative, except they should have set up the rear brake hose so it wouldn't rattle inside the frame. My BB is silent, it has the Praxis conversion one and not a press fit. All I can say is this bike is bad ass and the deal of the year.
Right on. I haven't investigated my issue, just started happening the other day, might just be some bolts on the crank, who knows.

Put 47 miles on mine today, love it more and more with each right.

My cables do not rattle.
Old 05-25-18, 01:21 PM
Mindcrime

Bikes: 2018 Diamondback Podium Equipe Dura Ace Disc, 2013 Felt z85 (now a frankenbike,) 1994 Serotta Colorado TG, 1999 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2017 State Undefeated II Track Bike, 2005 Litespeed Tuscany project

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've put around 500 miles on my Podium Equipe Disc. No squeaks or problems with one exception. The rear thru axle keeps vibrating open, no matter how tight I close the QR lever. I had to put some blue Loctite on the threads of the receiving bolt, and also on the bolt that holds in that receiver in the frame as it kept coming loose too. Since then no problems.
Old 05-25-18, 03:43 PM
Lazyass

My front thru axle came loose yesterday, I noticed the wobbling wheel when I got home and pushed my bike inside. It was good on a 2 hour ride this morning. I'm pretty amazed how killer this bike is. Comfort wise it's like an endurance bike but performs like a race bike.
Old 05-25-18, 05:51 PM
jordanair45
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mindcrime
I've put around 500 miles on my Podium Equipe Disc. No squeaks or problems with one exception. The rear thru axle keeps vibrating open, no matter how tight I close the QR lever. I had to put some blue Loctite on the threads of the receiving bolt, and also on the bolt that holds in that receiver in the frame as it kept coming loose too. Since then no problems.
I have no problems with the QR BUT they are pretty crappy, I've been looking to upgrade these.
Old 05-26-18, 06:20 AM
Lazyass

For my rattling brake hose I came up with an idea. I cut an old road tube to tube just wide enough to wrap around the hose slightly loose and long enough. I would wrap one section and secure it with regular clear tape, fish it through the hole, wrap another section, fish it in, ect until the entire hose inside was wrapped. Totally silent now.
Old 06-16-18, 07:26 AM
jordanair45
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

What you guys think ? Put some.50cm prime carbons on it and a fsa slk seatpost. Too deep ? Wheels feel great .
Old 06-16-18, 05:58 PM
fried bake

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
^^wheels look good, but a 0 offset seatpost is needed.
Old 06-16-18, 09:11 PM
jordanair45
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fried bake
^^wheels look good, but a 0 offset seatpost is needed.
Thanks.

Agree. But. The kforce was $50 on nashbar. Couldn't resist. Saddle can.come.back a bit. Just installed it. Still working on the fit for this bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.