Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Diamondback Podium Vitesse Disc?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thoughts on Diamondback Podium Vitesse Disc?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-18, 12:08 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Those wheels are alright but I wouldn't want them in a crosswind. I was surprised how light the stock wheels felt even with the tires and rotors on them when I took them off. Whenever I replace the tires I'll take the rotors off and put them on the scale. For clinchers they're more than good enough for me. If I replace them it will be for tubulars and I have the build planned. Alu HED Belgium Dics rims, 105 R7000 disc hubs and DT Comp spokes. I might even get a complete R7000 hydro group and use the parts on it now for a CX build.
Old 06-17-18, 02:55 PM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fried bake
^^wheels look good, but a 0 offset seatpost is needed.
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Those wheels are alright but I wouldn't want them in a crosswind. I was surprised how light the stock wheels felt even with the tires and rotors on them when I took them off. Whenever I replace the tires I'll take the rotors off and put them on the scale. For clinchers they're more than good enough for me. If I replace them it will be for tubulars and I have the build planned. Alu HED Belgium Dics rims, 105 R7000 disc hubs and DT Comp spokes. I might even get a complete R7000 hydro group and use the parts on it now for a CX build.
Stock wheels are 1681 grams. The stock wheels are fantastic. I just like my bikes to look cool.

I rode in heavy winds yesterday and surprising they do very well in the wind. Not as bad as one would imagine.
Old 06-17-18, 04:12 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by jordanair45
Not as bad as one would imagine.
Not exactly high praise.

38-40mm is all I would ever use regularly as a front wheel, but 50-60mm is fine on race day if conditions permit.
Old 06-17-18, 04:59 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by jordanair45
Stock wheels are 1681 grams.
That actually doesn't surprise me. They felt way lighter than I expected. Most 105 level bikes come with low end wheels that weigh like 2000g at least.
Old 06-17-18, 05:22 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Keep an eye on those wheels, though. I think that they're the same as what came on my Haanjo - HED Tomcat rims, nothing special hubs and straight gauge spokes. I've had both the front and rear pop way out of true only to find one or more spokes completely untensioned. A quick and dirty truing didn't hold although they've been fine since I really spent some quality time with them and a tension meter. Tension was all over the place and I think that some of the spokes were a bit wound up. HED doesn't make them, BTW - I contacted them and they said that the rims were made to their spec but the whole process was farmed out to whomever by DB.
Old 06-18-18, 06:32 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Keep an eye on those wheels, though. I think that they're the same as what came on my Haanjo - HED Tomcat rims, nothing special hubs and straight gauge spokes. I've had both the front and rear pop way out of true only to find one or more spokes completely untensioned. A quick and dirty truing didn't hold although they've been fine since I really spent some quality time with them and a tension meter. Tension was all over the place and I think that some of the spokes were a bit wound up. HED doesn't make them, BTW - I contacted them and they said that the rims were made to their spec but the whole process was farmed out to whomever by DB.
The ones on my E'Tape have Flanders rims. When I pull the cassette off I'll try to see who made the hub. Although not listed in the specs, the spokes are clearly butted at both ends. Going off the spoke head ID chart, they are Mac Elite spokes. If I had a digital gauge (my cheapo one is mechanical) I would be able to tell if they are the double or triple butted version. Probably double.
Old 06-18-18, 07:24 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
The ones on my E'Tape have Flanders rims. When I pull the cassette off I'll try to see who made the hub. Although not listed in the specs, the spokes are clearly butted at both ends. Going off the spoke head ID chart, they are Mac Elite spokes. If I had a digital gauge (my cheapo one is mechanical) I would be able to tell if they are the double or triple butted version. Probably double.
Hmmm, the wheelset on my bike are called HED Flanders - not a SKU that you see available at retail. Yours are probably still largely the same and almost certainly not built by HED. Again, just keep an eye out.
Old 06-18-18, 08:30 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Hmmm, the wheelset on my bike are called HED Flanders - not a SKU that you see available at retail. Yours are probably still largely the same and almost certainly not built by HED. Again, just keep an eye out.
Mine have 450 miles and are good so far, none feel loose. I do need to get the adapter for thru axles so I can put them in my stand. If you squeeze your spoke with two fingers and slide it all the way up and down you can actually feel if they're butted at the ends. Some are hard to tell just by looking at them, especially if the difference in diameter is just 0.2mm. I can't see the butting on mine unless the light is at a certain angle.

These are the mac Elite's.

Old 06-19-18, 04:55 AM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Stock wheels are light but I will say as soon as I swapped them out , a good set of wheels made a huge difference. Mainly with the hub.

The stock wheels were a PITA to change tires. I would Dread getting a flat on the stock wheels .I kept getting flats with my stock Flanders and has to install a thicker rim tape.

Loving the new wheels.so far.
Old 06-23-18, 01:31 PM
Lazyass

Has anyone removed/installed the derailleur cables yet? I want to shorten the housings but I'm wondering if it's a PIA to route the cables through the frame. Looks like it could be. I just finished shortening my brake hoses.
Old 06-23-18, 02:18 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Has anyone removed/installed the derailleur cables yet? I want to shorten the housings but I'm wondering if it's a PIA to route the cables through the frame. Looks like it could be. I just finished shortening my brake hoses.
Any chance it has sleeves inside the frame for the cables? I ask, because I've changed shifter cables on two bikes with internal cables. One, a Ridley, had a set of sleeves, so routing cables was trivial. The other, a Specialized, did not. Do-able, but a minor pain in the ass to ensure that I didn't cross the cables.
Old 06-23-18, 02:46 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by GuitarBob
Any chance it has sleeves inside the frame for the cables? I ask, because I've changed shifter cables on two bikes with internal cables. One, a Ridley, had a set of sleeves, so routing cables was trivial. The other, a Specialized, did not. Do-able, but a minor pain in the ass to ensure that I didn't cross the cables.
I don't know, I think it must but that's what I was hoping to find out. The cable guide on the bottom of the BB shell is covered with a little door secured with an allen bolt. When you remove it you can see there is no room to use fingers to pull and guide a cable through. If it does have sleeves it should be a no brainer.

Old 06-23-18, 03:01 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
On the Ridley, the cable sheath is visible -- at first I wondered what it was. If you trace the FD cable around the bottom bracket to where it exits the frame and heads to the FD, you might see it there. On the Ridley, a white tube surrounding the cable sticks out of the frame about 1/4". On the Specialized, there is a plastic guide in the same spot, but it's part of the plastic cover (like you're showing), and not a separate sheath.

Good luck.
Old 06-23-18, 08:43 PM
noodle soup

I don't know, I think it must but that's what I was hoping to find out. The cable guide on the bottom of the BB shell is covered with a little door secured with an allen bolt. When you remove it you can see there is no room to use fingers to pull and guide a cable through. If it does have sleeves it should be a no brainer.

Once the cables are removed, the guide piece that is under the cover plate can be removed. This will allow the cables to be fished through easily, then the guide is put back in place. Cable tension holds the guide in place, then the cover plate is screwed back on.
Old 06-25-18, 09:42 AM
noodle soup

Did you ever get this sorted out?
Old 06-26-18, 09:04 AM
Lazyass

Okay, I shortened the cable housings. It was pretty easy. First, I suggest to place a drop of super glue on the tips of the cables so they don't fray when you're routing them through (I always do that anyway).

There is no sleeve inside the downtube for the cables but that's okay because when you remove the "door" on the BB shell covering the cable guide you'll see there's an open slit that the cables come out of. Hard to describe it but you'll see it when you do it. So my cables came right out so I could put them in the guides.

When you get the cables in the guides you'll see two tiny holes you route the cables through to get them all the way to the derailleurs. The only somewhat tricky part is for the rear cable. Where it comes out of the chainstay you need to unbolt and remove that little plate the rear housing attaches to. When you do you'll see the cable inside of the chainstay, so just get a pair of needle nose pliers to grab it and pull it up. Then route it through the plate you removed and bolt it back on. Then you're basically done.
Old 06-26-18, 09:08 AM
noodle soup

Okay, I shortened the cable housings. It was pretty easy. First, I suggest to place a drop of super glue on the tips of the cables so they don't fray when you're routing them through (I always do that anyway).

There is no sleeve inside the downtube for the cables but that's okay because when you remove the "door" on the BB shell covering the cable guide you'll see there's an open slit that the cables come out of. Hard to describe it but you'll see it when you do it. So my cables came right out so I could put them in the guides.

When you get the cables in the guides you'll see two tiny holes you route the cables through to get them all the way to the derailleurs. The only somewhat tricky part is for the rear cable. Where it comes out of the chainstay you need to unbolt and remove that little plate the rear housing attaches to. When you do you'll see the cable inside of the chainstay, so just get a pair of needle nose pliers to grab it and pull it up. Then route it through the plate you removed and bolt it back on. Then you're basically done.
Sounds like you did it the hard way, but you got it done anyway.
Old 07-10-18, 03:43 PM
MSignore
MSignore

Bikes: 2012 Diamondback Podium 1 as my starter. Saving up for something better.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my rim brake version. Weighs 17.5 with pedals. Ride is great and fit feels good. Swapped out saddle, seatpost and wheels. Stock seatpost was over 100 grams heavier than the carbon one I had sitting around. Stock wheels were not built well. Had re-trued after 100 miles and then they quickly went back out . Think they need to be properly stress relieved.

Last edited by MSignore; 07-10-18 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-10-18, 04:05 PM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MSignore
This is a nice looking bike
Old 07-10-18, 04:13 PM
Lazyass

It's pretty crazy how the rim brake version is $500 more than the disc, but most sizes are out of stock now. The Ultegra Vitesse Disc is only $80 more than the regular E'Tape. I'm actually tempted to get the Vitesse. I'm 50 years old and want to make sure I have this exact frame under me for the rest of my life, I don't want anything else and at some point it will be discontinued. Hopefully the one I have lasts forever.
Old 07-10-18, 04:13 PM
MSignore
MSignore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic
This is a nice looking bike
thanks. One thing to note on the rim brake version in case deals pop up again and people are considering. The rim brake version couldn’t fit 28mm Conti 4ks on the rear with the wide wheels. Even the 25mm barely brushed when the wheel had some wobble in it but would have been ok if wheel was perfectly true. The 25mm rubino pros fit with enough room though as that tire doesn’t sit as tall as the Continental.
Old 07-10-18, 04:19 PM
MSignore
MSignore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's pretty crazy how the rim brake version is $500 more than the disc, but most sizes are out of stock now. The Ultegra Vitesse Disc is only $80 more than the regular E'Tape. I'm actually tempted to get the Vitesse. I'm 50 years old and want to make sure I have this exact frame under me for the rest of my life, I don't want anything else and at some point it will be discontinued. Hopefully the one I have lasts forever.
agreed that the pricing gets wonky. I opted for the rim brake version when the prices were almost the same. I know I gave up value, but I live in a very flat area and wanted to stick with rim brakes. I also wasn’t a fan of how those hydro 105 shifters felt in my hands. Either way, I am super impressed with the diamondbacks we own or I have seen.
Old 07-10-18, 05:21 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by MSignore

thanks. One thing to note on the rim brake version in case deals pop up again and people are considering. The rim brake version couldn’t fit 28mm Conti 4ks on the rear with the wide wheels.
Did you actually measure the tire? The stock 25mm Conti Ultrasport on my HED rims measure exactly 28. A 28 version would probably be huge. I don't know if they normally run wide or if it's the rim. On my frame I still have 5mm of clearance on each side of the tire at the tightest point of the chainstays.
Old 07-10-18, 05:57 PM
MSignore
MSignore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fit issue is actually the height of the tire on the rear brake bridge. I didn’t measure them but the general consensus is that the Contis run wide. And the 4000s are usually one of the widest tires out there. Also measured to be taller than most per bicyclerollingresistabce.com. Pairing that with a very wide rim like the HED, Results in an even taller tire profile as the sidewalls sit straighter on a wide rim. I had a few sidewall cuts on my 4000’s anyways so I am going back to the rubinos which I have been pleased with. The rubino 25mm has a noticeably shorter profile and gives plenty of clearance to the brake bridge.
Old 07-10-18, 07:06 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Not exactly high praise.

38-40mm is all I would ever use regularly as a front wheel, but 50-60mm is fine on race day if conditions permit.
Really? I may be the worst bike handler in the 41 and I run Jet 5s in the wind at COTA and out north of town.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.