Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Kickr Flywheel rubbing

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-17, 10:33 AM
Chris3g

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got a brand new '17 model Wahoo Kickr and right out of the box the flywheel makes an awful rubbing sound once per rotation.

i was able to track down the source of the issue and it's very stupid - there are a couple of external stick-on pads on the outside of the flywheel (i assume for balancing) and they are rubbing on the head of a screw every time the flywheel goes around. It looks to me like the screw is not tightened correctly causing the head to stick out further than it should.

I hate to have to go through the process of returning this thing just to tighten one screw but as far as i can tell the only way to get in there would be to take apart the entire flywheel assembly, which doesn't appear to really be user accessible

I have some pics and a video that shows the issue but the board won't let me post them...just wondering if anyone has any thoughts while i wait to hear back from wahoo support...
Old 11-04-17, 01:43 PM
Chris3g

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok figured out how to remove the flywheel, the screw causing the rubbing was almost completely backed out. Tightened it up and should be good to go now.

Not too thrilled with the Wahoo QC here but at least it won't need to go back.
Old 11-04-17, 02:44 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Good to hear you solved the issue. But there should have been no issue with a brand new (and expensive) trainer. Very disappointing. Did you consider other trainers before buying the Wahoo? I'm currently in the market but haven't decided yet.
Old 11-04-17, 06:23 PM
Chris3g

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddub
Good to hear you solved the issue. But there should have been no issue with a brand new (and expensive) trainer. Very disappointing. Did you consider other trainers before buying the Wahoo? I'm currently in the market but haven't decided yet.
you're absolutely right that there should be no issues but **** happens and i wouldn't discount it over 1 loose screw. It actually ended up being quite easy to remove the flywheel assembly and tighten up the screw once i discovered the trick to it (from a youtube comment, of all places ).

now that it's working i'm very happy with it so far. i also considered the elite direto but i was able to find a 15% off coupon that worked on the KICKR and i think it's the better trainer.
Old 10-29-18, 04:01 AM
Cdb1982

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same issue

Hi how did you manage to resolve this? I have exactly the same problem. Cheers Chris
Old 10-29-18, 10:07 AM
Chris3g

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cdb1982
Hi how did you manage to resolve this? I have exactly the same problem. Cheers Chris
Hi, solution was posted above. There was an internal screw which was not fully tightened from the factory, it was rubbing against the flywheel on every rotation. I ended up removing the flywheel and tightening the screw down.