Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Reusable spray bottle for WD-40 and similar liquids

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 10:04 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts

I need new WD-40 (for cleaning, not lubing) and thought I may buy bulk liquid and use a reusable sprayer.

WD-40 has this hand sprayer which I assume withstands the chemicals in WD-40. i assume i want to not just use generic bottles since the solvents may destroy them.

TruePower has a reusable aerosol can that one can fill and pressurize. I seem to like that better since it has the smart straws. May also be easier to use with not having to pump. I also could use it for penetrating oil etc (smart straw and higher pressure than the hand pump spray)

It also would potentially open up the option to home-brew WD-40 or other liquids

Do you have any experience or other ideas or recommendations?
Old 01-02-18, 10:28 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
hmmm interesting concept! I would never use so much of that stuff to warrant it tho. I would be cautious of spilling it, bottle leakage & possible evaporation out of the bottle thru a bad seal maybe? I've never had good luck w reusable solvent/fuel containers like those red plastic gas cans. maybe this is better?
Old 01-02-18, 10:32 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I use a lot of WD-40 for motorcycle maintenance, but not so much for bikes. I buy it by the gallon and have a different version of the WD-40 hand sprayer that I use most of the time, and an aerosol can with the folding straw that I use for precision application. I don't see the point of homebrewing WD-40 when you can get a gallon for fifteen bucks.
Old 01-02-18, 10:42 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I have that WD40 sprayer and a gallon of the stuff-

use it on sewer cables to keep the rust down.

Works & saves the waste of aerosol cans but generally

one needs little if any WD40.
Old 01-02-18, 11:06 AM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
I have a similar re-usable pressurized spray bottle similar to the True Power the OP linked to. It works great, one of the best investments I've made. The one I bought came with the straws and various pattern spray heads. Just pressurize it with your bike pump and it works like an aerosol spray can. Easy to dismantle and clean, can be used with most liquids and you can buy spares if ever needed. I've never tried to use it with something more viscous such as some chain lubes so not sure if it would work for that.
Old 01-02-18, 01:01 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Yes, purchasing WD-40 by the gallon is an efficient method of using that chemical.

Their squeeze pump is a good option. I have also purchased their non-aerosol can, pried off the non-refillable top, refilled the can, snapped on the nozzle and used that can over again.
Old 01-02-18, 01:17 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) or PP (polypropylene) spray bottles will not be affected by WD-40, which is basically a refined mineral spirits containing some oil. That said, as a cleaner only, why not buy a gallon of OMS (odorless mineral spirits) at much lower cost than WD-40? Even cheaper is Kerosene which is as good a cleaner but a bit smellier.
Old 01-02-18, 01:28 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by HillRider
HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) or PP (polypropylene) spray bottles will not be affected by WD-40, which is basically a refined mineral spirits containing some oil. That said, as a cleaner only, why not buy a gallon of OMS (odorless mineral spirits) at much lower cost than WD-40? Even cheaper is Kerosene which is as good a cleaner but a bit smellier.
I ordered the TruePower Spray bottle.
I was thinking of just using mineral spirits (already have) and putting in some motor oil. I plan to clean my chain before re-lubing with it and feel having some lube in it would be good instead of just spraying mineral spirits around. The oil also may soften up some grut?

For the cassette i plan to use gear floss and WD-40. Then re-lube with bicycle lube and wipe the chain after each ride to keep clean. Only re-clean with above WD-40 (or similar) as it gets dirtier and the re-lube.

(and no, I'm no friend of taking off the chain off and putting in water-based degreaser... with WD 40 or similar even if I do it wrong, I never completely dissolve any lubricant already in the chain. I know many people here do that and i did it in the past. But just feels wrong to me to degrease all the chain inc. inside rollers, have water in that never gets out 100% - and it seems time-consuming compared to cost of chains. with WD-40 instead of water-degreaser I at least never actually put water on and the mineral spirit will evaporate easily and leave the thin lube - better than nothing)

Edit: MSDS says WD40 basically is mineral spirits and oil, so I could just try to mix my own... or just use mineral spirits if cleaning is my main goal.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 01-02-18 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-02-18, 02:09 PM
Crankycrank

+1 on the Odorless Mineral Spirits. Can basically cover all your degreasing needs on a bike and if you use a catch container you can let the gunk settle in the container and pour off the clean spirits to be used again.
Old 01-03-18, 07:14 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
WD-40....can with the folding straw that I use for precision application
Not sure why, but seeing WD40 and precision in the same sentence struck me as amusing. Maybe I'm just easily entertained, or not enough coffee this morning.
Old 01-03-18, 08:28 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Just use OMS, and proper chain lube(of your choice).
Old 01-03-18, 09:48 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil
Not sure why, but seeing WD40 and precision in the same sentence struck me as amusing. Maybe I'm just easily entertained, or not enough coffee this morning.
By precision application I just mean squirting it into tight spaces as opposed to spraying it all over everything like I normally do.
Old 01-03-18, 10:09 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Back in the late 1970s we had a couple of air preesureable cans with a nozzle. Fill up from bulk, air up and squeeze. I believe it's name was "Sure Shot". I hope the new ones don't have the limitations that the Sure Shot had. Too small an "air at pressure" volume when otherwise full of WD40. Messy to fill. Inaccurate spray and varied with the air pressure.

In the end we went back to the standard WD40 aerosol can for it's ease and consistent spray. We also found the actual amount of WD40 we went through went down because the aerosol spray was far better atomized. The Sure Shot was more garden hose like Andy

Just found that it still exists today, here's the link. Steel Strayers
Old 01-03-18, 10:22 AM
Crankycrank

I have one of the aluminum 8oz SURE SHOT sprayers and find it pretty easy to fill and use but probably a pain as Andrew mentioned above if using frequently such as in a shop. For the occasional use and trying to save with bulk liquids I think it's great. Haven't had any problems with inaccurate spraying.
Old 01-03-18, 10:50 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
Yes, purchasing WD-40 by the gallon is an efficient method of using that chemical.

Their squeeze pump is a good option. I have also purchased their non-aerosol can, pried off the non-refillable top, refilled the can, snapped on the nozzle and used that can over again.
Here is their Trigger Pro 20 oz non-aerosol pump can. This is my current preference, above their aerosol can options. I also like the gallon w/ a towel for lots of applications.

Old 03-06-18, 05:25 PM
HerrKaLeun

Just wanted to report back how it works. I've had it for a while now but didn't use it till I started on some project bikes last week.
it works pretty good and has different nozzles. one of them sprays fine and wide (especially once i charged to 90 psi), so it seems to work well for cleaning. I have no way of telling if it uses a lot, but seems very little.

It also has the straws for hard-to reach areas (not used yet)

I needed to get a handpump to fill it from my 1-gallon mineral spirit container (that one splashes when pouring into a funnel)

Thanks for everyone to advise.
Old 03-06-18, 05:43 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I like that refillable bottle idea with basic air pressure.

I wish, however, that they had folding straws like the new WD40 cans. Still, a WD40 can can last quite some time.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've started buying grease by the tub, and putting it into ketchup squeeze bottles. The biggest issue is the top pops off of the bottle I found if I get too low and squeeze too much
Old 03-06-18, 07:15 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I like that refillable bottle idea with basic air pressure.

I wish, however, that they had folding straws like the new WD40 cans. Still, a WD40 can can last quite some time.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've started buying grease by the tub, and putting it into ketchup squeeze bottles. The biggest issue is the top pops off of the bottle I found if I get too low and squeeze too much
I also have grease tub (boat trailer grease to be precise), but use a mini grease gun
Old 03-06-18, 09:50 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
I went to harbour Freight and bought a 3 pack of small white plastic squeeze bottles with the red caps. In one I put alcohol, in the second I put acetone, and in the third, WD 40. I also have a small can of 3 in 1 20w non detergent motor oil( specially formulated to lubricate small electric motors) and another squeeze bottle of 10 w oil that I oil the chain with. These I put in a small cardboard box and take with me when I volunteer at the Bike Exchange. I use all of them on a regular basis. With the small squeeze bottle of wd40 I can squirt a stream, drip just a little on hinge pivots or threads, or squirt some on a rag for wiping . The only downside is losing the little plastic caps. The wd40 doesn't evaporate much, the alcohol a little more , and the acetone, even with the tiny hole in the cap, evaporates pretty fast if left open. I have had no problem with any of the liquids attacking the plastic in the bottles.