Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Latex Inner Tubes: More Than They're Worth?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Latex Inner Tubes: More Than They're Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-18, 05:54 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
I'll put up with a cut in the tyre casing as long as it doesn't cause a bulge in the rolling surface. A small patch of gaffer tape is probably the best thing to stop the tube poking out.
Old 10-18-18, 03:28 AM
bungle73

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
So much in here and so frustrating to read knowing there’s a lot of misinformation on here but only a few will take the time to read this far down.

Op - you installed the tubes incorrectly. Period. Whenever you get a flat with any tube simply perform an inspection of that flat. The shape and position of the hole will tell you the cause. Large holes (opening that run along the tube and have a jagged edge (butyl - smooth on latex) in the center are caused by the tube not being contained. You didn’t keep it under the bead of the tire. Sorry.

Er no I didn't as a matter of fact.

Mounting a latex tube Can be subtly harder. It flops around a lot easier........BECAUSE it’s more supple. The whole point. It conforms easier and even though you think you have it tucked away in the tire you could easily pinch it or have a small edge of it between the bead and rim without realizing it.
I know full well how to take care when installing a delicate tube. I'd previously been using Continental Supersonics, which are probably the most fragile butyle tubes that you can get, and had no problems.

to the person with the tube tube sticking out the side - your tire’s purpose in life is to hold your tube in. If it’s not doing that then it needs to be fixed. Outside of temporary booting - there’s not really a fix. Get a new tire. Don’t like it? Sorry I guess. Don’t run over stuff that can cause a hole in the side of your tire.
That was me as a matter of fact. Forgive me for wanting to not have to throw away a six month old £36 tyre.....

And your last "suggestion" is just silly tbh.
Old 10-18-18, 03:29 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kimmo
I'll put up with a cut in the tyre casing as long as it doesn't cause a bulge in the rolling surface. A small patch of gaffer tape is probably the best thing to stop the tube poking out.
I haven't got any gaffer tape. Besides, I didn't like the look of the way the cut was spreading open when I tried putting a tube in and inflating it.
Old 10-18-18, 03:40 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I actually did try sticking the latexes into the Conti 4 Season tyres that I have. I thought I might as well give it a go, since I had them. At the time I wasn't convinced that I could feel much difference, which I put down heavy dutiness of the tyre (noticeably less supple than the Pirellis when holding them while off the wheel). But I recently swapped them out for some lightweight butyles and found the bike had a very noticeably rougher ride (boneshaker); and this was with the latexes at a higher pressure. So much so that I'm now considering putting the latex tubes back in.

Last edited by bungle73; 10-18-18 at 03:43 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 06:22 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by bungle73
Thanks, I'll check it out.
‘I have read through your thread and never saw if you reported back on your rim tape situation. I tend to believe it is what others have said - some type of installation error/improper set-up on your part. I get that you were careful, checked for no pinches etc...and that your technique was sufficient for the ultralight butyl tubes, but we still are left guessing about the state of your rim tape. I know for a fact that the one piece plastic tapes that are convenient for butyl tubes are a no-go. Even the little raised ridge of plastic where the tape is bonded to itself or any thickening of the tape around the valve is sufficient to produce a massive blowout just as you described.

‘Could you share with the group your rim brand, rim tape, tires you are using (brand/size) so we could finally, decisively help you move forward? I never used latex tubes before this year and when I first installed them I lost several tubes in the same manner that you described. That was until I analyzed what was afoul about my installation. You either get it right or you don’t. As good as your technique (almost) is, I’d say that you are not there yet.

I would be inclined to listen to the gentleman who has installed 1200 tubular tires. He might have seemed rude but he wasn’t - you get the sense that he speaks the truth here.

I’m feeling a great result in ride quality on the (low thread count) Michelin Power Endurance/and All Season tires that I have mounted on my harsh riding aluminum road bike with delightful results. I can only imagine what some of the supple, high thread count open tubulars would ride like with the Vittoria tubes - it makes you you want to pile on more miles just so you can wear your current tires off and get the reward of moving to your next set. BTW - once I got mine installed correctly, I have not had a single flat on the road all year! And this is over normal roads with occasional patches of broken glass and fresh chip seal, etc...

A photo of your rim, rim tape and tire would be most welcome at this juncture too...

Regards, from Bill.

Last edited by masi61; 10-18-18 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 07:04 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Holes don’t appear out of nowhere. They all have a cause. Large holes are no longer being constrained by the tire. Smaller holes at a sort of peak are from rim tape failure. Random holes from debris. Snake bites from under pressurization.

At one point I read “large hole”. That can only occur when the tube has made its way outside the tire. Seriously. You may not like the delivery but to say otherwise is a bit like denying pregnancy. “It couldn’t have happened! I know what I’m doing and was super careful.”

if youre so positive that you did absolutely nothing wrong wrong then why did you post it here? You posted it here because you knew people who actually know would give you information. I did that. Sorry it’s not the information you wanted to hear.
Old 10-18-18, 08:53 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by masi61

‘I have read through your thread and never saw if you reported back on your rim tape situation. I tend to believe it is what others have said - some type of installation error/improper set-up on your part. I get that you were careful, checked for no pinches etc...and that your technique was sufficient for the ultralight butyl tubes, but we still are left guessing about the state of your rim tape. I know for a fact that the one piece plastic tapes that are convenient for butyl tubes are a no-go. Even the little raised ridge of plastic where the tape is bonded to itself or any thickening of the tape around the valve is sufficient to produce a massive blowout just as you described.

‘Could you share with the group your rim brand, rim tape, tires you are using (brand/size) so we could finally, decisively help you move forward? I never used latex tubes before this year and when I first installed them I lost several tubes in the same manner that you described. That was until I analyzed what was afoul about my installation. You either get it right or you don’t. As good as your technique (almost) is, I’d say that you are not there yet.

I would be inclined to listen to the gentleman who has installed 1200 tubular tires. He might have seemed rude but he wasn’t - you get the sense that he speaks the truth here.

I’m feeling a great result in ride quality on the (low thread count) Michelin Power Endurance/and All Season tires that I have mounted on my harsh riding aluminum road bike with delightful results. I can only imagine what some of the supple, high thread count open tubulars would ride like with the Vittoria tubes - it makes you you want to pile on more miles just so you can wear your current tires off and get the reward of moving to your next set. BTW - once I got mine installed correctly, I have not had a single flat on the road all year! And this is over normal roads with occasional patches of broken glass and fresh chip seal, etc...

A photo of your rim, rim tape and tire would be most welcome at this juncture too...

Regards, from Bill.
The wheels are almost brand new Fulcrum Racing Quatros, and the rim tape is the standard supplied one. It wasn't the rim tape at all, it was the hole in the tyre. I thought that was clear; because that was why I brought it up. The tires were Pirelli P-Zero Velos, and I eventually tried with them with Conti 4 Season, with which there were no problems.

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Holes don’t appear out of nowhere. They all have a cause. Large holes are no longer being constrained by the tire. Smaller holes at a sort of peak are from rim tape failure. Random holes from debris. Snake bites from under pressurization.

At one point I read “large hole”. That can only occur when the tube has made its way outside the tire. Seriously. You may not like the delivery but to say otherwise is a bit like denying pregnancy. “It couldn’t have happened! I know what I’m doing and was super careful.”

if youre so positive that you did absolutely nothing wrong wrong then why did you post it here? You posted it here because you knew people who actually know would give you information. I did that. Sorry it’s not the information you wanted to hear.
Just admit you were wrong, and didn't follow the thread properly.

Not sure what you mean by "why"? You realise that I started this thread ~2 months ago right? Don't you think that is long enough to have, in the mean time, worked out myself what the problem was (given that I already suggested what is was a while ago, as I pointed out above)?
Old 10-18-18, 08:55 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It was never the rim tape from the start, anyway, because the hole was in the wrong place.
Old 10-18-18, 08:58 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I must have run over a piece of glass or something, because a while ago I got a sudden depressurisation. I changed the tube and all seemed well. I didn't notice at the time, what must have been a deep cut in the tyre, and it didn't manifest itself as a problem until I tried to install the latex tube, months later.
Old 10-18-18, 09:08 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
So now knowing that the problem was a cut in the tire, have you decided that the latex tubes worth the trouble?
Old 10-19-18, 03:08 PM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
So now knowing that the problem was a cut in the tire, have you decided that the latex tubes worth the trouble?
As I say, the seem quite nice. But I want to try them with the more suitable tyres first, but it's too late in the year to do that now.