Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What are some good trails in OC and LA county?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-18, 02:17 PM
SurlyRoadRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Folks
I live in south Orange County in California and recently discovered the Aliso Creek trail, which is a really fun ride. Close to where I live, I hop on it near El Toro and Trabuco roads and ride down to Paseo de Valencia near Los Alisos Blvd. It's a nice twisting, gently uphill and downhill ride, over a couple wood bridges and through some underpasses. Aside from the wood bridges, it's all paved, though there are some patches with branches and leaves on the concrete. I've also gone north on it a bit above Trabuco. I usually ride about an hour or 90 minutes depending on if I take the northern section as well. I'd like to maybe build to longer rides eventually.

I've also ridden from Newport to Huntington Beach which is nice because it's coastal. It's mostly straight so not as fun but still enjoyable.

I'm riding a Surly Midnight Special road bike with 650b x 47 tires, so with those wide tires I can take a little gravel or whatnot if need be, but mostly paved is best.
I try to avoid riding in traffic as much as possible, so not interested if it involves riding on a highway with significant traffic.

I'd like to find some new trails in Orange County or Los Angeles County or elsewhere in So Cal. If you have any suggestions for trails or sources of info, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Last edited by SurlyRoadRider; 10-09-18 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-09-18, 02:48 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Paved - San Diego Creek Trail, From Los Olivos Apartments all the way to Newport Dunes.

Walnut Trail/Como channel trail/Peters Canyon/West Irvine - can continue up Peters Canyon (unpaved) all the way to Irvine Regional Park at Jamboree/Santiago

Aliso Creek trail goes all the way to Cooks Corner at the start of Santiago Canyon.

Dirt - Serrano Creek trail - can pick it up a Trabuco/Peachwood and ride into Whiting Ranch - some serious hills there if you want a workout - Line Shack Rd, Dreaded Hill, etc.

In San Juan Capistrano, the Trabuco/San Juan Creek Trails (paved) run from Avenida de la Vista all the way to Doheny State Beach.

Also There is also a trail out of O'Neill Regional Park that generally follows Trabuco/Tijeras creeks thru RSM/MV. I've never done this so not familiar with it.
Old 10-10-18, 12:59 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Don't forget the river trails... Santa Ana River Trail (SART) goes waaaaaaaay inland and if you continue up north to Seal Beach you can hit the San Gabriel River Trail and/or the coyote creek trail from there. The La River Trail is a bit further for you and probably not worth the effort, but it *is* there if you want to hit them all in the interest of completeness.
Old 10-10-18, 02:24 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I didn't notice when I replied yesterday, but you might get more activity on this if it were in the SoCal regional forum. You can ask the mods to move it.
Old 10-14-18, 07:53 PM
SurlyRoadRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Jim. I contacted the site to see if they'll move the thread.

TrojanHorse: I've been on the very first part of the SART from the beach, and saw it last week from above in Fairview Park in Costa Mesa. I'll check it out. Wondering how far it goes straight and level or where it might change up a bit. I'll do a search on it but in the meantime if you have any info on it or opinions about the ride, feel free to post. Thanks..
Old 10-14-18, 08:25 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
You can take the SART uninterrupted from PCH all the way to Green River in Corona. After a 10 mile gap in Corona/Norco, there's 30 more miles of it, (currently) ending at Waterman Avenue in San Bernardino.
Old 10-16-18, 10:52 AM
dwolsten

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 1995 Trek 470

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm surprised you haven't gotten some condescending replies telling you that riding on a trail isn't true road cycling and shouldn't be in this forum, and that you should stay off trails and instead ride alongside 60+mph traffic.
Old 10-16-18, 04:51 PM
SurlyRoadRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dwolsten: Anyone who wants to do that is fine with me, but I'll pass thank you. I've seen riders on Pacific Coast Hwy between Newport & Huntington Beach in the bike lane with what is indeed 60mph traffic going by them, with a perfectly good 6 foot wide mostly vacant sidewalk right there up off the road they could be riding on. I guess that's the purist way to go, but it only takes one driver not paying attention for a second or two for someone to lose their life. Not a risk I'm willing to take, maybe because I'm older than the average rider, I don't know.
Old 10-17-18, 12:37 PM
dwolsten

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 1995 Trek 470

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SurlyRoadRider
dwolsten: Anyone who wants to do that is fine with me, but I'll pass thank you. I've seen riders on Pacific Coast Hwy between Newport & Huntington Beach in the bike lane with what is indeed 60mph traffic going by them, with a perfectly good 6 foot wide mostly vacant sidewalk right there up off the road they could be riding on. I guess that's the purist way to go, but it only takes one driver not paying attention for a second or two for someone to lose their life. Not a risk I'm willing to take, maybe because I'm older than the average rider, I don't know.
I agree completely, I'm just giving you a heads-up about the attitude you're likely to encounter here. I've seen it too many times.
Old 10-17-18, 10:26 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by dwolsten
I'm surprised you haven't gotten some condescending replies telling you that riding on a trail isn't true road cycling and shouldn't be in this forum, and that you should stay off trails and instead ride alongside 60+mph traffic.
It is so easy to easy traffic if riding in SoCal. Just go up a mountain, the traffic really this out and is slower. Why would anyone ride flats regardless?