Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bottom bracket replacement?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-29-19, 03:53 PM
armybikerider

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Chris Bishop custom steel road bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'm getting ready to replace my 2009 SRAM Rival 53/39 crankset with a new Rival 52/36 crankset. The original has 61,000 + miles and is noticeably worn, although it still works fine. I'm really replacing due to the lower gearing.

My question is....should I replace the original GXP bottom bracket also, as a matter of course? There's no issues with the BB currently, other than it has 61,000 + miles on it. There's no discernible roughness or play or noise.

Thanks.
Old 08-29-19, 04:30 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by armybikerider
...There's no discernible roughness or play or noise. Thanks.
Never Fix A Running Piece
Old 08-29-19, 04:44 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
+1 You can always spend the money on a new bottom bracket when the current one no longer runs.
Old 08-29-19, 05:44 PM
armybikerider

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
+1 You can always spend the money on a new bottom bracket when the current one no longer runs.
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Thanks. That's precisely what I was thinking......but second guessing myself for being cheap.

"Don't fix it if it ain't broke."
Old 08-30-19, 11:20 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 1,927 Posts
Why replace a perfectly good crank and bottom bracket? If the rings are worn, just buy new rings in the sizes you want.
Old 08-30-19, 11:26 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Why replace a perfectly good crank and bottom bracket? If the rings are worn, just buy new rings in the sizes you want.
I don't know if a 36T chainring would fit the old crank. If the bolt circle is the common 130mm it won't. I also wonder if the change from 39T to 36T is worth the expense. Why not get a "compact" (50/34) and get a usefully lower low gear?
Old 08-30-19, 11:40 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

I don't know if a 36T chainring would fit the old crank. If the bolt circle is the common 130mm it won't. I also wonder if the change from 39T to 36T is worth the expense. Why not get a "compact" (50/34) and get a usefully lower low gear?
Good point. Depending on what compact crank is used, the OP may "get lucky" and be able to retain the old bottom bracket, but it's not given.
Old 08-30-19, 06:26 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
61,00 miles on a GXP bottom bracket has to be some kind of record. I don't get more than about 4,000 before they develop some play or the drive side bearing seizes up.
Old 08-30-19, 06:45 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by dsaul
61,00 miles on a GXP bottom bracket has to be some kind of record. I don't get more than about 4,000 before they develop some play or the drive side bearing seizes up.
I have no experience with SRAM bottom brackets but I have two Shimano BB-6700 Hollowtech II bottom brackets, one with 24,000 and the other with 22,000 miles, and both are still in fine operating condition.
Old 09-01-19, 06:48 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I agree. Who needs a 52T chainring, if they're not racing?
Old 09-01-19, 06:54 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Rings cost as much as a crank nowadays, generally.
Old 09-01-19, 06:59 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
In the old 5 arm days, the bolt ring diameter was different between full and compact sizes. 130 vs. 110 I think. I have no idea with the newer stuff. Also, the old rings were compatible across brands. I never knew what was wrong with that.
Old 09-01-19, 06:48 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by zacster
In the old 5 arm days, the bolt ring diameter was different between full and compact sizes. 130 vs. 110 I think.
Five-arm cranks came in a large number of bolt circle diameters, including 86, 94, 110, 118, 120, 122, 128, 130, 135, 144, and 151mm; maybe a few more I missed. But most recently 110 and 130 are the most common for road cranks.

I have no idea with the newer stuff. Also, the old rings were compatible across brands. I never knew what was wrong with that.
Yeah, there's all kinds of mutually incompatible stuff these days as well. You know what they say: the nice thing about "standards" is you have so many to choose from!
Old 09-02-19, 09:53 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Thanks. That's precisely what I was thinking......but second guessing myself for being cheap.

"Don't fix it if it ain't broke."
Repair and maintenance are not the same thing.

In this situation there is nothing to fix because nothing is broken. Replacing a bottom bracket in this case is maintenance, not repair. It isn't semantics. Proper maintenance reduces the risk of needing repair and often prevents downtime.

Depending on cost and how much you value time, it might make sense to replace the bottom bracket now rather than having to pull it apart a second time. A worse case scenario is that the bottom bracket with 61k miles fails and leaves you stuck on the road or leaves you without a bike for a period of time.

If it is a $25 threaded bottom bracket then I would perform proactive maintenance without thinking twice, slap a new one in and be done with it. If it is a more expensive part and involved process, requires expensive tools such as bearing presses or expensive services from an LBS then make a judgement call.

Either way, 61,000 is a lot of miles for a bottom bracket. Personally, I value time and not getting stuck and would replace a BB with 61k.

-Tim-
Old 09-02-19, 10:55 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Repair and maintenance are not the same thing.

In this situation there is nothing to fix because nothing is broken. Replacing a bottom bracket in this case is maintenance, not repair. It isn't semantics. Proper maintenance reduces the risk of needing repair and often prevents downtime.

Depending on cost and how much you value time, it might make sense to replace the bottom bracket now rather than having to pull it apart a second time. A worse case scenario is that the bottom bracket with 61k miles fails and leaves you stuck on the road or leaves you without a bike for a period of time.

If it is a $25 threaded bottom bracket then I would perform proactive maintenance without thinking twice, slap a new one in and be done with it. If it is a more expensive part and involved process, requires expensive tools such as bearing presses or expensive services from an LBS then make a judgement call.

Either way, 61,000 is a lot of miles for a bottom bracket. Personally, I value time and not getting stuck and would replace a BB with 61k.

-Tim-
Um, no. The bearings used today will last a lot longer than that. They are much more likely to be damaged by doing "repair" than by just riding them. Overtightening, undertightening, tapping them out, tapping them in, not seating properly are all much worse for bearings than spinning the pedals. If they are smooth there is no reason at all to replace them.
Old 09-02-19, 11:45 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 567 Posts
With as common as noises and ticks and such can be with cranks and bottom brackets (in general -- maybe the GXP is less prone to this than other types), I think I would value a known quiet BB/crank combination over replacing it with new parts. I'd even probably favor just replacing the crank rings on your original crank, even though it may cost the same as a new crank. If you can get the old rings off and the new rings on without pulling stuff apart, even better.

Over time, I've learned to not disturb anything that's running right, as simple as the parts or assembly seems to be. I think I'm more sensitive than average to creaks and ticks and noises, and I sometimes beat myself up for changing something that works trying to improve it or otherwise experiment, and end up creating a noise or something that wasn't there before. If your 61k mile bearings are still smooth, and there are no noises, I'd do my best to preserve that.
Old 09-02-19, 02:03 PM
armybikerider

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
First - Thanks to all who have responded.

I'm replacing the crankset for 2 reasons - wear and also to lower the gearing to help with local short but steep climbs. The smallest ring I can fit on my current 130 BCD crank is a 39. I want to go to a 110 BCD crank so I can use smaller rings.

I ride rolling terrain in North Texas with some short but steep punchy climbs that I want to start including in daily rides. I can climb them now, but lower gearing would make the experience more pleasant! The difference in gear ratio between a 36X28 and a 34X28 is only .08. But I like to use the big ring also on flats and the back side of rollers and I'd lose some top end in my favorite 17, 19 and 21 cogs if I drop to a 50 versus a 52.

Good point. Depending on what compact crank is used, the OP may "get lucky" and be able to retain the old bottom bracket, but it's not given.
I'll make sure that any replacement crankset I get will fit the BB that I have now whether it's a compact or semi-compact.

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I agree. Who needs a 52T chainring, if they're not racing?
I haven't pinned on a number in 25 years, but I still like to go fast and push the pace as much as I can.

Originally Posted by zacster
Um, no. The bearings used today will last a lot longer than that. They are much more likely to be damaged by doing "repair" than by just riding them. Overtightening, undertightening, tapping them out, tapping them in, not seating properly are all much worse for bearings than spinning the pedals. If they are smooth there is no reason at all to replace them.
I agree and have pretty much decided to retain the current bottom bracket when I replace the crankset. Plus, in almost 40 years of "serious" riding, including commuting, racing and touring both road bikes and mtn bikes I've never had a BB seize up so bad that I couldn't make it home. Any issues I've ever had with bottom brackets were developed over time with plenty of warning to rectify the issue before it became a "show stopper."
Old 09-02-19, 03:40 PM
AndreyT

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
My question is....should I replace the original GXP bottom bracket also, as a matter of course? There's no issues with the BB currently, other than it has 61,000 + miles on it. There's no discernible roughness or play or noise.
Replacement of a GXP bottom bracket is typically a very clean, fast and easy task. No need to do it in advance.