Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best all around bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best all around bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-19, 12:13 PM
amberleighburns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best all around bike

I am a mom of 2 who is looking for the best all around bike. I need a bike to pull my kids in a trailer on greenways but also ride on gravel and rough trails. Looking for something under or around $700 mark that will last me a long time. Looked a few different brands at local bike shops but still haven't found anything that seems like the best fit.
Old 09-21-19, 12:35 PM
hefeweizen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/talon-3-2020

https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/rove-2-dd-disc-2020

Last edited by hefeweizen; 09-21-19 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-21-19, 05:14 PM
rodgeman

Bikes: 2019 Salsa TimberJack

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Here is the Trek Marlin Six - https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=teal

I just got one last month and really like it. I would consider it and try it if you local shop is a Trek dealer.
Old 09-21-19, 08:45 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by amberleighburns
I am a mom of 2 who is looking for the best all around bike. I need a bike to pull my kids in a trailer on greenways but also ride on gravel and rough trails. Looking for something under or around $700 mark that will last me a long time. Looked a few different brands at local bike shops but still haven't found anything that seems like the best fit.
May I ask how tall you are? If 5'5" or less, most if not all modern bikes have 700c wheels, which makes for some weird geometry on smaller frames and causes toe-overlap where your huge wheel is close to your foot and your toes hit the wheel when you turn. Sucks hard.

Might I recommend classic steel? I'm riding a 1992 steel mountain bike with 26" wheels that I had set up as a cruiser/commuter, and it's the most comfortable ride I've ever had, with no toe-overlap. It's also sturdy enough to carry or tow anything you want, and with the same geometry as today's adventure bikes, it can handle any trails you might fancy riding. You can get them fairly cheap and have a mechanic build it up for you for around what you want to spend, and end up with a much nicer bike than you can buy new.

Otherwise, the Trek looks nice. Let us know what you decide, we do love to kibitz.
Old 09-22-19, 01:38 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Yeah i used a '90s steel MTB with smooth balloon tyres to pull my kid around in a trailer. I tried a few bikes (including a shopper) but the 27-speed Merlin was best.

No trailer now, these days she sits on the back.
Old 09-22-19, 08:04 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Agree with MtB steel... it's what I ride!
Old 09-25-19, 04:47 PM
m3tal070

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by amberleighburns
Check out Jamis bicycles site. If you have a local dealer, you get a lot of bang for the buck. Better than Trek imo.