Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

First Tool Kit Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

First Tool Kit Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-10, 08:15 PM
OhioBuckeye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Tool Kit Question

What is a good way to get a first bicycle tool kit. I know absolutely zero about bike mechanics but I've become addicted to riding and want to learn. Instead of purchasing individual tools would something like this park tool kit be a good way to go?

Thanks

OB

https://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PARK-TOOL-AK...#ht_3449wt_911
Old 07-10-10, 08:43 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
A lot of the basics you can buy for a lot less money than Park charges. With the basics, like allen key sets and metric wrenches and socket set, out of the way you can buy the Park or Zefal tools that you need rather than a kit that will have some stuff that you may never use. For example if you never need to do a threaded headset you won't need the big flat wrenches that are needed for them. And if you just buy as you need then you can build up the kit slowly and with some added focus.

A few things that you SHOULD get right away would be;
  • All three sizes of spoke wrench. Get the nice plastic dipped ones.
  • The flat cone nut wrenches used for cup and cone wheel bearings.
  • A BB tool to suit your bike(s). Although this can be put off until you need it.
  • Crank arm remover. Again it can be put off until needed.
  • Thin pedal wrench.
  • Tire irons of course.
  • and the basics, metric allen key set, metric wrench set from 8mm to 19mm. And a 1/4 and 3/8 combo ratchet set isn't a bad idea as well.

For a fairly new bike with threadless headset and a square taper style BB setup this is about all you need to work on the bike besides the more normal handtools that most home shops would have anyway such as assorted screw drivers, pliers, cutters, etc. If you don't have ANY of that stuff you'd need to expand a bit on the list above to fill in the missing links.
Old 07-10-10, 09:21 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Rule number one. Acquire skill before you acquire tools. Rule number two buy only those tools you know how to use, and suitable for jobs you'll actually do.

One of the best ways to waste money is to spend it on tools you can't or won't use. That's as true of bike tools as it is for overly powerful computers, or any other gadgets that get little use between the point of purchase and the scrap pile.

Start small, learn to fix flats, adjust gears and brakes, repair or replace a chain. That'll be 90% of what you need to know to enjoy cycling for years, and can be done with $5-20.00 worth of tools, some of which you might already own. Then you can expand your knowledge and buy more tools as your interest, time available, and budget dictate.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-11-10, 05:47 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Packaged tool kit = Bad move.

Do a search, it has been discussed many times. Acquire only the tools you need, when you need them. Some tools (chain tool, cable tool) need to be good ones. Other tools, pretty much any brand is good enough. I have a $6 pedal wrench for example, but a $50 Shimano cable tool. You don't have to go that good on the cable tool, unless you plan to work on quite a few bikes (I work on bikes every week).
Old 07-12-10, 01:19 AM
CollarBones

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Overpriced. I picked up one of these not 2 weeks ago as my first tool kit:

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_10000_200501