Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

When did we stop drinking water?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 06:26 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I know, I know... there's electrolytes, salts, and trace elements that we need too.

Growing up, language was simple. I had a glass of water. Now, I hydrate myself. (?) and nobody drinks water any more. Going forward, I'd like to see simple language used in Bike Forum.

Going Forward is one of my pet peeves too. Why can't it simply be, "In the future..."
Old 02-07-13, 06:33 PM
Big Pete 1982

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skilsaw
I know, I know... there's electrolytes, salts, and trace elements that we need too.

Growing up, language was simple. I had a glass of water. Now, I hydrate myself. (?) and nobody drinks water any more. Going forward, I'd like to see simple language used in Bike Forum.

Going Forward is one of my pet peeves too. Why can't it simply be, "In the future..."
Well, unless it's really hot out, I just drink water when I ride. On a long ride in the summer, like a century ride where I go through a lot of liquid, I go about every 3rd bottle with an electrolyte tab.

The really disturbing thing about the "hydration" craze though is that it's marketed to kids. Gatorade isn't really a sports drink anymore. It's flavored sugar water.
Old 02-07-13, 06:33 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Water? Like...in the toilet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs

Old 02-07-13, 07:42 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
We drank the Kool Aid, so to speak, sold to us by those marketing hydration products. Yes, you lose electrolytes to sweat and urine. Yes, you need to replace them in a timely manner. Yes, you need to stay adequately (but not overly) hydrated. No, we do not need to guzzle down liter after liter of overpriced "electrolyte supplements". A granola bar with nuts and fruit has all the sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium you need along with a mix of fast and slow digested carbs and some fats to smooth out the glycemic curve. Learn to judge hydration by listening to your body. Your urine should be pale yellow and you should need to pee every 2-4 hours. You should be able to swallow and spit, the veins in the back of your hand should not be flat, you should not be light headed, and you should be sweating appropriately to the conditions and activity level. Problems like hyponatremia (low sodium levels) are real but they don't happen at the drop of a hat just because you crack a sweat. Drink adequate amounts of water by sipping frequently when you ride and eat some real food snacks like the ever popular Fig Newtons every hour or so and most people will be just fine. If you are an elite endurance athlete training in the Arizona desert in August, you might need a more advanced plan for hydration and electrolyte replacement, but you still don't want to go at it willy-nilly. The old "more is better" mentality when it comes to hydration and electrolytes is outdated.
Old 02-07-13, 07:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Now that Hydro Fracking is the new energy boom, When you could light it on Fire?
Old 02-07-13, 07:57 PM
aramis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just drink water when I ride.

I think a few times I remembered to grab a gatorade or something so I got more calories, but water works fine for me if I don't want more calories.
Old 02-07-13, 08:31 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Water? Like...in the toilet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs

Beat me to it!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
brawndo.jpg (87.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-07-13, 08:50 PM
tergal

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fish do horrible things in water ....
Old 02-08-13, 12:36 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Ooh, a pet peeve thread. I DETEST when people say "At this time". How tough is it to say "now"?

As for water, I drink loads of water every day. I have a nice reverse osmosis system installed under the sink and it's delicious.
Old 02-08-13, 06:06 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Big Pete 1982
Well, unless it's really hot out, I just drink water when I ride. On a long ride in the summer, like a century ride where I go through a lot of liquid, I go about every 3rd bottle with an electrolyte tab.

The really disturbing thing about the "hydration" craze though is that it's marketed to kids. Gatorade isn't really a sports drink anymore. It's flavored sugar water.
I've also seen children buying Five Hour Energy. What have we come to that CHILDREN need stimulant drugs?!?

Old 02-08-13, 06:17 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Myosmith
We drank the Kool Aid, so to speak, sold to us by those marketing hydration products. Yes, you lose electrolytes to sweat and urine. Yes, you need to replace them in a timely manner. Yes, you need to stay adequately (but not overly) hydrated. No, we do not need to guzzle down liter after liter of overpriced "electrolyte supplements". A granola bar with nuts and fruit has all the sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium you need along with a mix of fast and slow digested carbs and some fats to smooth out the glycemic curve. Learn to judge hydration by listening to your body. Your urine should be pale yellow and you should need to pee every 2-4 hours. You should be able to swallow and spit, the veins in the back of your hand should not be flat, you should not be light headed, and you should be sweating appropriately to the conditions and activity level. Problems like hyponatremia (low sodium levels) are real but they don't happen at the drop of a hat just because you crack a sweat. Drink adequate amounts of water by sipping frequently when you ride and eat some real food snacks like the ever popular Fig Newtons every hour or so and most people will be just fine. If you are an elite endurance athlete training in the Arizona desert in August, you might need a more advanced plan for hydration and electrolyte replacement, but you still don't want to go at it willy-nilly. The old "more is better" mentality when it comes to hydration and electrolytes is outdated.
Also, water doesn't give you the "sloshy nausea" Gatorade and other 'hydration' products do. Witness the mighty Sayre Kulp felled after his first century.

Old 02-08-13, 07:41 AM
LiamSkymom

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale Street

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the water.
Old 02-08-13, 07:54 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Neil_B
I've also seen children buying Five Hour Energy. What have we come to that CHILDREN need stimulant drugs?!?
It's a lifestyle statement. Just as we see people ordering a monster bacon-and-cheese-with-extra-lard-burger, jumbo fries and a Diet Coke, we see people constantly sipping at a bottle of branded mineral water while stuffing their face with cheesy fries, now we see people drinking sports drinks even though the closest they ever go to the gym is when they drive past on the way to the fast food joint.
Old 02-08-13, 09:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Going forward, I'll drink to this thread.
Old 02-08-13, 10:03 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
"Here's to plain speaking and clear understanding" - Casper Guttman

This wisdom no longer applies.
Old 02-08-13, 10:08 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil_B
The really disgusting thing is how this guy became filthy rich selling that crap: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manoj_Bhargava
Old 02-08-13, 10:16 AM
howsteepisit

If you are going to cite Wikipedia, you should also read that consumer reports states that the product actually works. Hence calling it "crap" seems unduly harsh from your own reference. One thing to note re 5 hr energy is that it does not contain a megadose of caffeine, its mostly B vitamins with a few other things thrown in. Not that I am a big fan of any of the energy drinks, just object to your classification when the products works as claimed.
Old 02-08-13, 10:18 AM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still drink water. I can't stand the taste of most of those electrolyte products. If I'm on a long ride and need a little something extra, I'll just mix 2 parts water to one part fruit juice such as orange or a citrus mix. I also prefer dried apricots and a handfull of nuts to the fancy packaged energy bars. It's cheaper, simpler, and not as cloyingly sweet.
Old 02-08-13, 10:46 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
The really disgusting thing is how this guy became filthy rich selling that crap: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manoj_Bhargava
Why is it disgusting that a guy works his tail off & is successful?

And the way he wastes his money! What an a-hole!

Bhargava's foundations include Knowledge Medical Charitable Trust and Rural India Charitable Trust. He has contractually pledged a billion dollar gift to the charities. The charities have funded medical research in the United States and over 400 charities in India.[SUP][19][/SUP] Two of the major initiatives are hospitals for the poor and education for disadvantaged women in rural areas.[SUP][20][/SUP] The Hans Foundation, a charitable organization, is solely supported by Rural India.[SUP][21][/SUP] In September 2012, he joined the Giving Pledge (www.givingpledge.org)
Old 02-08-13, 11:13 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Eh, before sports drinks were all the rage, I used to take diluted fruit juice with me on rides, and when I got home I tended to chug warm miso broth. Combine the two and you basically have the profile of an electrolyte drink. And I'd hit on that just because of listening to what tasted really really good at the time and assuming that was what my body wanted.

I tend to make my own sports drinks, now, to make them less sweet (and using real sugar or fruit juice, not corn syrup) and less chemical-tasting.
Old 02-08-13, 02:03 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Going forward, I'll drink to this thread.
Meh, I'll hydrate myself to this thread.
Old 02-08-13, 02:27 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
If you are going to cite Wikipedia, you should also read that consumer reports states that the product actually works. Hence calling it "crap" seems unduly harsh from your own reference. One thing to note re 5 hr energy is that it does not contain a megadose of caffeine, its mostly B vitamins with a few other things thrown in. Not that I am a big fan of any of the energy drinks, just object to your classification when the products works as claimed.

In my experience, it is more like "3 hour energy" or 2.5 hour energy. YMMV

At the time I was working 12 hour overnight shifts in the ICU, then went directly to class in the morning. After Algebra and English, I finally had Chemistry at 1PM. Nothing I could do would keep me awake all the way through Chemistry, including 5 hour energy. I seemed to do a little better if I took it an hour or two before the class, but taking it at 9AM was useless for me.

Besides, it didn't hydrate me at all!
Old 02-08-13, 02:44 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Water was, is and will always be my drink of choice. If I need electrolytes I use GU or Shok Blocs or Sports Beans... yes I tried all those energy drinks... they all made me sick and frankly were hard to choke down. I found myself getting dehydrated cause I didn't like the taste and thus would not drink. If I am doing a long ride (metric to century) then I do the old fashion thing... I bring along a water bottle filled with flat Coke. I like the taste and the caffeine and sugar are just want I need...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 02-09-13, 06:20 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
The fancy drinks make me ill so I just drink water, I drink about 3-5 liters of it a day anyway no mater what I'm doing. On rides I use up 1.5l for about 100km. I do however use etabs, they work for ME so I will continue with them.
Old 02-09-13, 10:24 AM
howsteepisit

I make my own fancy drinks, with Kool-ade, Sugar, and Morton's lite salt for potassium and sodium. I only use when riding more than a hour or so, but at least its cheap. I think its probably unneeded, and water really does suffice in most cases. But I have to be hydrated, saw it on TV!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.