Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Overestimated Abilities - 1st Ride

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 05-16-14, 10:33 PM
SquatchBiker
Trained Killer

Bikes: '13 Fuji Absolute 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My plan was to commute to and from work, but I'm not sure when I'll get there. I just picked up my bike from an LBS. Rode home, 5.22 miles, and it took me 33 minutes. I had to walk the last part since it is a pretty steep, but short, hill.

My commute to work would be anywhere from 10 to 14 miles one way, with some pretty sustained climbs. I'm wondering how long it will take to get where I can make that ride? Do I just continue to ride around town and get my legs under me? I was hoping the commute would give me a purpose and give me a reason to have to ride. I have not done any exercise for about 10 years and am currently around 280 or so. Kind of disappointed that I might not be able to make the commute starting next week. I'm unable to run due to knee issues so this bike is probably my last hope at getting in shape and shedding some weight.

I feel OK after the ride, a little sore in the legs but overall my body seems OK. No sore back or sore hands from the ride since the guys at the bike shop helped the bike fit me.

How long did it take other Clydes/Athenas to get to where they could ride a good sustained ride of 15 miles one way?

Cory
Old 05-16-14, 11:03 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
If you haven't done any exercise in 10 years, >5 miles for your first ride is great. So is doing it at ~10 mph.

Yes, I think you should build up your mileage with evening (before sundown, hurrah for Daylight Saving Time) and weekends. In fact, you should probably test-ride your commute on a weekend before doing it for a workday. Is there a good spot for you to have a rest and snack near your work site? If so, you could do your "morning commute" to that place, chill for an hour (having a drink and a snack), then do your "evening commute."

You didn't mention what kind of bike you're using. Everything will be easier if you have proper gearing (and the bike fits you). If this is the case, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much your endurance will build in the next month or so.

Hang in there, and good luck!

Edited to add: Just noticed you have a Fuji Absolute. That will be a fine commute bike.
Old 05-17-14, 12:08 AM
veerod82

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Sport Disc,Giant Escape 2,Raleigh Capri 1.0, New to me Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When i first started riding my bike It took a long time to get to where i could ride 5 miles non stop. I would ride 2.5 miles down our bike path and then rest and ride back. It took me a few weeks to be able to go further. The 7.5 mile, then eventually 10 mile round trip. The best way to get the leg muscle for me was doing the hills over and over. We have levee's all around, and I just rode up and down every chance i got. That also seemed to help with windy days.
Old 05-17-14, 05:02 AM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be gentle with yourself in the beginning. Short rides just a mile or so are good to build strength and endurance.
And welcome to the bike forums - this is a wonderful community of people who look out for each other.

Charlie
Old 05-17-14, 06:39 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Five miles pushing 280+ is quite an accomplishment, however long it takes you. Just keep on cycling and keep losing weight. Eventually, your legs will get stronger, your cardiovascular will adapt, your weight will decrease, and cycling will become much easier.

Trust me, I know...

Been there, done that!
Old 05-17-14, 07:56 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't try to ask "what is normal" because it is different for everyone. We all tend to want to rate ourselves to other riders but in the end the most important factor is to just keep riding. The more you ride the better you will get. Your body will tell you your limits. Listen to it. Add a little more each ride and before you know it you will be doing more than you ever thought you could.
Old 05-17-14, 07:57 AM
ClydesterD

Bikes: '97 W'ford X-11, '00 W'ford RS-22; '06 VO Rando; '07 Surly Cross-Check; '08 VO Pass Hunter; Riv Homer Hilsen; '09 Riv Sam Hillborne; '09 VO Polyvalent; '11 Rich Adams; '13 VO Campeur; '17 Riv Cheviot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I echo the others' responses, but with a twist: I'd recommend riding nights and weekends as far as you want to go, without necessarily setting any hard-and-fast goals and without killing yourself. You'll enjoy the rides and will get stronger quickly, and at some point soon you'll ride 6 miles and think, hey, that's how far it is to work! Then commute to work and see how it goes.
Old 05-17-14, 08:02 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If your improvement is like mine has been in the past, your improvement won't necessarily be linear. The distances and speeds will increase, but sometimes it seems once you pass certain thresholds you make a little leap and changes come quickly.

You will see improvements in several areas. Fitness, comfort and technique. All of these will help you on your rides, including the climbs.

And there is no law that I am aware of that prohibits you from walking up hills when commuting by bike, or any other time.

Persistence is the key. However, it will probably be within a month or two that you will be ready to make that commute.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-17-14, 08:16 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SquatchBiker
I'm wondering how long it will take to get where I can make that ride?

Age, health, diet, and a whole lot of other factors come in to play, so it is impossible to give a set number of weeks to make a given ride. The good news is that most people new to cycling, or any exercise, usually see rather quick gains at first and your goal is very realistic.

Do I just continue to ride around town and get my legs under me? I was hoping the commute would give me a purpose and give me a reason to have to ride. I have not done any exercise for about 10 years and am currently around 280 or so. Kind of disappointed that I might not be able to make the commute starting next week. I'm unable to run due to knee issues so this bike is probably my last hope at getting in shape and shedding some weight.

Don't let it get you down. I started in much the same situation you are in. My first 5-mile rides left me tired and sore and I now ride 30+ miles regularly and have ridden a few centuries. The key is to actually plan incremental improvements rather than just putting in saddle time waiting for improvements. Set goals that are stepping stones to where you want to end up. For example: I will ride Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays hard enough to become tired but not completely wiped out by the end of the ride. I will do my long rides on Saturday or Sunday and will increase my distance by one mile each week. Remember Smarter not Harder when it comes to training plans.

I feel OK after the ride, a little sore in the legs but overall my body seems OK. No sore back or sore hands from the ride since the guys at the bike shop helped the bike fit me.

Sounds like your bike is a good fit, which is very important. It also sounds like you pushed yourself just enough. A bit tired and sore is common with new exercise and is a sign of progress. Severe pain that takes days to go away isn't.

How long did it take other Clydes/Athenas to get to where they could ride a good sustained ride of 15 miles one way?

Don't compare yourself to other people. There will always be those who progress faster or recover more quickly. You want to push yourself but not cause overuse injuries or burnout, aka overtraining. The three sides of the training pyramid are: Training, Nutrition and Rest. They must be in balance. Unless you plan to compete, compare your performance only to where you were last week and how that compares to your long-term goal.

Cory
Good Luck

Last edited by GravelMN; 05-17-14 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-17-14, 09:07 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
You need to crawl before you can walk, walk before you can run. Reality is, you need to build up to riding 125 Miles a week. Even under the best circumstances, that will be about to 2 hours a day of riding. That is a lot for a very fit person, let alone a person who has been sedentary for some time.

So give yourself a break and work up to it. Ride 1 hour a day 3 or 4 days a week for a couple of weeks. Slowly increase your time on the bike. When you can comfortably ride 2 hours without stopping, then you are probably ready to commute without being too exhausted.
Old 05-17-14, 10:04 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
WOO HOO!
Awesome first ride!
Congrats on starting.
Congrats on choosing a goal that will get you in GREAT shape!

I've looked up the bike you have in your profile. Fuji absolute 2.1...
This is a GREAT bike for your intended purpose!

Lowest gearing at 28 (granny gear) 32 (largest rear cog) is perfect for a clyde facing climbs, even with a commuting pack. My gearing is even lower (too low) at 22/32 for the loads I currently carry. But best to have 1 more gear down low... I spin out at 30-ish anyway, so that's fast enough on top...

The rest of the bike looks tailor made for commuting. You'll of course personalize it over time.

Please consider you have set a goal which is both quite doable, but also a goal well worth achieving. Give your self the courtesy of respecting your goal. A goal like this is to be respected.

Follow others advise on getting into shape. They'll steer you right! Listen to your body, bad pain is to be avoided. Your max mileage will increase rapidly. Best thing I can add is to attend to your physical recovery, good sleep, proper nutrition (replace carbs, enough protein).

Ask about anything that makes you sore, particularly contact points (bum, hands, feet) but also neck and shoulders. Most of that is alleviated by dialing in fit of the bicycle to you.

If you don't "have" to bicycle commute to survive, please consider easing into it.
I commute 1 day, 50 miles rt(round trip)... The mileage is not the challenge, it's the almost 2000 vertical feet of climb. 2 days a week would be survivable, but not enjoyable for a few weeks.
Old 05-17-14, 11:23 AM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just keep at it.

I was in your shoes five years ago and now I'm actually racing these infernal machines.

Looked in the mirror one evening, said to myself, "**** this ****!", got up at 4 AM the next day, got on my bike to ride before work, and made it about 6 miles before pretty much falling over. Within three months I was doing 30+ miles just about every single morning. I started commuting to work shortly after that - 16-19 miles each way depending on the route I took.

As other posters have said - there will be ups and downs. You will see huge improvements and even some backsliding at times. Just keep at it.

And the amount of money you save on gas will buy you a lot of bike schwag.
Old 05-17-14, 11:37 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
Just go slow and let your body tell you how fast to progress.
The worst thing you can do is overextend yourself and be miserable. It makes it too hard to "climb back on the horse".
See how you feel the next day. That'll tell you if you pushed too much or not.
IF you feel "good" add a mile or 2 a day. IF NOT, back off and only ride a mile or 2 per day until you quit hurting.
In a matter of a few days, you'll have a good idea of how to progress.

Good luck!
Old 05-17-14, 12:42 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Do you see a common sentiment in EVERY single post above. Here it is - YOU CAN DO THIS!

You didn't get to 280 overnight, you won't get the mileage overnight. However, if you search this forum, you'll find countless stories just like yours. "I'm XXX pounds and could barely ride X miles." Now, almost every one of those members is doing 10, 20, 50 or 100 miles at a time. Yes, clydes/athenas can do centuries, it just takes time. I'd bet by the end of this weekend you post that you were able to get up to a 10+ mile ride.

Congrats on getting serious. Please post your progress. We want to hear it. Also, it will help encourage others in the future who follow in your footsteps.
Old 05-17-14, 04:09 PM
SquatchBiker
Trained Killer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thanks so much for the words of encouragement! I realize that I need to take it slow, but I also feel like I need to do more than normal just because I've been so neglectful of myself for so long. I don't feel like I deserve to "ease" into anything. But that is what I will try to do since I need this to actually work. Not go too hard, get hurt and then give up. My wife is proud of me for trying and is very supportive so I think I'm lucky there.

I have some housework and a little yard work to get going on, but I'll take a ride tonight!

Here's a pic of the bike. Nothing really on it yet, my wife worries about me riding so I have a light on the front and back.

Really appreciate the support!

Cory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo 1.jpg (98.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-17-14, 06:43 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts

Welcome! Congrats on that initial ride! I'm an Athena - I too started out by commuting to work. That 6-7 miles was soooo hard at first at my starting weight of 260+. But eventually it got easier so I pushed harder to do it faster. Bet same will happen for you.

I now have a job that 1 way is 45 miles by bike so no bike commuting for me as it would mean leaving my house by 4am or earlier.

Agree with PhotoJoe. Keep us posted. You can be the inspiration for another in future. That's how this forum rolls. Pay it forward by sharing our stories and helping others get understanding that they CAN DO IT!

I
Old 05-17-14, 06:50 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
my 2 cents. walking at lunchtime would be good. did the bike shop check the spokes? don't stress, biking is fun. don't rush yourself either. bike commuting is a whole thing, beyond just cycling. you can do it, just don't rush yourself.
Old 05-17-14, 09:17 PM
SquatchBiker
Trained Killer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very short ride tonight. Just 2.5 miles, but it's the first time in many years I've done something like an activity two days in a row. Every little hill that I think nothing of driving my car up feels like such a huge obstacle. Small ones make my legs burn, but it's fun when I go down the hill. Thanks again everyone.

Cory
Old 05-18-14, 08:22 PM
LiamSkymom

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale Street

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good for you on the two days in a row. Keep up the good work and you'll get there.
Old 05-18-14, 08:23 PM
Jnelson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just want to put my two cents in, please do take it slow. I went on my first trail ride Sunday, and we made a poor choice changing trails and ended up walking a rough trail uphill for more than an hour. Long story short, I ended up being a heat casualty even though I had proper clothing, lots of water and three deployments to Iraq. I over estimated the amount I had lost fitness and nearly had a heat stroke.

So just take it easy and let it come, and really have fun! It will make it easier to stick with it and get in shape.
Old 05-19-14, 01:15 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracr39
Don't try to ask "what is normal" because it is different for everyone. We all tend to want to rate ourselves to other riders but in the end the most important factor is to just keep riding. The more you ride the better you will get. Your body will tell you your limits. Listen to it. Add a little more each ride and before you know it you will be doing more than you ever thought you could.
I agree except for one thing, I think its normal to be slow and very distance challenged at first, but nearly everyone is also pleasantly surprised how quickly the distance goes up once you get into it. The biggest hurtle is behind you, getting off the couch and on a bike!
Old 05-19-14, 02:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
yeah, that couch thing is tuff! I swear mine has velcro!
Old 05-19-14, 02:55 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
Do you see a common sentiment in EVERY single post above. Here it is - YOU CAN DO THIS!

You didn't get to 280 overnight, you won't get the mileage overnight. However, if you search this forum, you'll find countless stories just like yours. "I'm XXX pounds and could barely ride X miles." Now, almost every one of those members is doing 10, 20, 50 or 100 miles at a time. Yes, clydes/athenas can do centuries, it just takes time. I'd bet by the end of this weekend you post that you were able to get up to a 10+ mile ride.

Congrats on getting serious. Please post your progress. We want to hear it. Also, it will help encourage others in the future who follow in your footsteps.

What he said. We've all been there and done it.
I know one on this forum now that lives in California won't go for a ride unless it's > 10 miles. Not worth the effort to get changed he said in a post.
Old 05-19-14, 05:42 PM
HelpMeRhonda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't read the entire thread. But, I believe the most significant factor for all of us who have made it, ("made it" meaning: losing XXX pounds) is we finally reach a point of being totally feedup with being overweight. Once you truly reach that point you become mentally "steeled" and will do anything/everything to win the weight loss gain. There have been hundreds of posters with the initial "want" to lose weight. They eventually give up. But at some point we develop a "f*** this" I can and will do this. Good luck developing the "want to lose at all cost mentallitiy"
Old 05-19-14, 06:16 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
Congrats......

build it up slowly and when can do 15 miles at a time, don't think you have to do that twice a day for your commute.

Drive in, Ride home

Ride in , Drive home

take a day off

drive in ride home

Ride in drive home

and then slowly build up to twice a day if you feel like it

What type of a bike gear do you have?

My standard recommendation for a longer commute (based on what has worked for me) is:

Road bike, with drop bars.... more efficient, more hand positions, better ability to deal with wind

good bike gloves

Bike shorts

bike jersey -

toe clips or clipless pedals

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.