Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Catch all Professional Cycling Chat (Possible Spoilers)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Catch all Professional Cycling Chat (Possible Spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 02:00 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
True. But 10 seconds later, Froome on a bike 6 sizes too small with the wrong pedals is about the ugliest thing I have ever seen, or will ever see.
Old 07-14-16, 02:21 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling once again makes itself look completely amateurish. I was reading some of what cyclocosm was tweeting, either the stage counts or it doesn't. Let the results stand or nullify completely, they really shouldn't be looking at the stage and deciding when and where to make things count or not, too much room for bias in that.
Old 07-14-16, 03:31 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
neutralize at the place of accident.

whoever was leading at that time would have gotten wallopped

crash not fault of rider. no idea why they didn't have the gendarmes lined up holding hands to quell the crowds (like they do in Italy)
It's not that simple. What about the splits? You have Dimension Data, but that's not official. You have moto splits that are, but how accurate are they at that moment? Because if Yates' incident they had to be somewhat consistent, but I don't like the precedent it sets. Too many opportunities to manipulate the results.
Old 07-14-16, 03:46 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I agree, bad precedent. Too many riders have had bad luck in the past and not had the results changed to neutralize it. Some of them due to spectators or moto drivers.

The message that I get from today's drama, including the leaders' crash and also the Sky domestique crashes and subsequent MJ neutralization of the peloton is that the Brahmins of this sport really want Sky to remain the Empire. Maybe I am not seeing the whole story, and probably have a skewed opinion on it anyway, but it *feels* a lot like Postal.
Old 07-14-16, 03:46 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
they fixed it. right call. the race would lose credibility if yellow is won or lost based on the organizers unable to provide a road on which to race bikes.
Old 07-14-16, 03:59 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Considering that the original call was to leave the results as they were at the line, there must have been some sort of vehement protest. I think it was quite some time before the results were amended, and certain media outlets had to change headlines.
Old 07-14-16, 04:01 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
If I was Yates, Quintana, Porte, etc...I would've protested. I'd hate to gain time that way.
Old 07-14-16, 04:04 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They could have just stopped riding and waited for him.
Old 07-14-16, 04:11 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bauke Mollema Verified account ‏@BaukeMollema

What's going on? Seems like everybody gets time bonuses. I wonder what would have happened if I would have been the only one to go down...
Old 07-14-16, 04:58 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckbelle
G. Thomas's joke about Froome being Kenyan, so they expect him to run...was gold.

Old 07-14-16, 05:05 PM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a sprint...nah. Put him in a 10km or Marathon
Old 07-14-16, 05:08 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Flatballer
...which will cost you 100, somethings. Euros I guess? ...
That punch fine for Froome was $230 something which would the the current EUR->USD conversion for 200.
Still odd to me they would fine him the exact amount of an action that has the fine AND[not OR] elimination, yet not eliminate him.
Old 07-14-16, 05:31 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
Considering that the original call was to leave the results as they were at the line, there must have been some sort of vehement protest. I think it was quite some time before the results were amended, and certain media outlets had to change headlines.
It's standard practice to publish the provisional results before the jury has decided the outcome.

This whole thing pales compared to what happened in Nice. I shudder to think what a truck bomb on the Champs would do. We're talking millions of spectators, totally vulnerable. Boston cranked up a notch.
Old 07-14-16, 05:47 PM
Doge

@shovelhd , @hack got me looking for the rule that you can't advance without a bike. I can't find it. I can't even find you have to cross the line with a bike.

Anyone got a UCI / USAC rule that says that? It would be nice to know the rider with a mishap can just drop the bike and run.
Old 07-14-16, 07:22 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
@shovelhd , @hack got me looking for the rule that you can't advance without a bike. I can't find it. I can't even find you have to cross the line with a bike.

Anyone got a UCI / USAC rule that says that? It would be nice to know the rider with a mishap can just drop the bike and run.
https://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/N...NG_English.PDF

Under section 3 (under a picture of a sprint with a crash in it):

"NB: In order to be classified, any rider no longer mounted on his cycle may finish the course either carrying, dragging or
pushing his machine, all of which must be without assistance. A rider will be classified if he is in possession of his cycle."
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 07-14-16, 07:35 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
https://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/N...NG_English.PDF

Under section 3 (under a picture of a sprint with a crash in it):
Good link. But this is what I see below the picture. Not about the bike (or I'm blind).

• In the event of a fall after passing the kite marking the start of the last three kilometres, the rider or riders involved will be awarded the time of the group to which they belonged at the time of the fall if the incident has been recorded by a race official or the finish judge or pointed out by the race director.
• These arrangements do not apply to individual or team time trials or in the event of a finish at the top of a mountain pass or in the case of steep gradients.
• If, after a fall at the finish line, a rider is unable to cross the line, he is classified in last place for that stage.
• In team or individual time trials, the finish judge must record, in order, the passage of all riders crossing the line so that the timekeeper can award them a time and, if appropriate, record them as having exceeded the disqualification deadline.
Old 07-14-16, 08:36 PM
carpediemracing 

Good link. But this is what I see below the picture. Not about the bike (or I'm blind).

• In the event of a fall after passing the kite marking the start of the last three kilometres, the rider or riders involved will be awarded the time of the group to which they belonged at the time of the fall if the incident has been recorded by a race official or the finish judge or pointed out by the race director.
• These arrangements do not apply to individual or team time trials or in the event of a finish at the top of a mountain pass or in the case of steep gradients.
• If, after a fall at the finish line, a rider is unable to cross the line, he is classified in last place for that stage.
• In team or individual time trials, the finish judge must record, in order, the passage of all riders crossing the line so that the timekeeper can award them a time and, if appropriate, record them as having exceeded the disqualification deadline.
Sorry, just above the picture, in bold. My bad.

(Attachment failed, can't edit, so did another quote response)
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 07-14-16, 08:38 PM
carpediemracing 

Picture below:
Attached Images
Old 07-14-16, 08:39 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
In general, the motorcyles look as though they feel they're more important than racers. Forcing their way through the peleton, 6 motos covering a break of 3 riders..... Just looks out of control lately.

Paris Roubaix too. 100 lead vehicles kicking up dust that the cyclists have to breathe.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-14-16, 08:40 PM
carpediemracing 

Picture below:
I wonder if this picture is bigger.
Attached Images
Old 07-14-16, 09:49 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
also, this

UCI 12.12.14: "Wilful deviation from the course, attempt to be placed without having covered the entire course by bicycle, resuming the race after having accepted a lift in a vehicle or on a motorbike" are prohibited.
Old 07-14-16, 09:57 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
They could have just stopped riding and waited for him.
With all the other vehicles in front and behind in that narrow area with all the spectators, that would have been a dangerous thing to do.
Old 07-14-16, 10:26 PM
Doge

Sorry, just above the picture, in bold. My bad.

(Attachment failed, can't edit, so did another quote response)
Thank you!

Edit: Answer by @echappist

Two things.
It is a guide. Normally an official doc, but does allow some wiggle room (I had the same for soccer and the ref could override).
It says nothing - unlike USAC about advancing without a bike. Only finishing.

Good argument there was no rule broken.
Old 07-14-16, 10:27 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by echappist
also, this

UCI 12.12.14: "Wilful deviation from the course, attempt to be placed without having covered the entire course by bicycle, resuming the race after having accepted a lift in a vehicle or on a motorbike" are prohibited.
Yea - that's it. I'll edit my prior post.
Old 07-14-16, 11:14 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Exciting ****.

And what was up with the Mavic neutral bike? One thing for it to not fit, and the pedals were the wrong type, but then it stopped shifting or something?

Also I thought I saw one of Froome's team mates pass him just when he was about to get the Mavic bike, you'd think they'd stop..

Also #2 did Froome go down in Gerran's pileup on that descent?

What a stage.

my race videos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.