Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXVIII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXVIII

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-17, 02:38 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I got a gift card to a local kitchen store for my bday and I just got back from a walk-though of the shop - I couldn't find a single pan or knife that interested me. @Bah Humbug will understand.
That is just tragic. AG is headed out of town on Friday for two weeks, so the knives will all be sharpened. Hell, some of them will get a literal polishing with fingerstones. Probably while watching Stranger Things S2. And The Mist.

It's not surprising there was nothing good though - most stores have an endless parade of celebrity-chef-branded copies of the exact same items, or famous-branded copies of the exact same items. You can't get the pan you (or I) would really like, but you can choose between the Rachel Ray and Wolfgang Puck colors of Teflon-coated aluminum! And matching painted stainless knives!

Old 10-31-17, 02:43 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Re: lights, I know you "serious" cyclists scoff at them, but the MagicShine Clone headlights from ScamBay/Amazon are fantastic IMO. You get roughly 800 Lumens, nearly bright as a car headlamp, with a 2 hour runtime, for roughly $25. I know the QC is not ideal, but even if you have to replace this once/year it's way more affordable compared to the MEILLENSTEIN Lupine lights that cost 10-20X as much.
MagicShine Clone headlights? I’m confused. Are they MagicShine or clones of MagicShine or what? Clones of Meillenstein?

Old 10-31-17, 02:48 PM
topslop1

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by trsnrtr
magicshine clone headlights? I’m confused. Are they magicshine or clones of magicshine or what? Clones of meillenstein?
light weight. So much light weight. Light, and weight.
Old 10-31-17, 02:52 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by topslop1
4.2 TSH level after blood work and apparently my bad cholesterol is slightly high at 114.
Datlas can correct me if I’m wrong, but genetics means a lot here. My TOTAL cholesterol is 130 and I’m 53# overweight.

TassR700

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Gary Fisher Tassajara; Motobecane Boris Fatbike; Cannondale Habit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I like the above for a helmet light since it is a spot pattern and will help seeing down the road or around the next bend on the mountain bike, but for the handlebars, I like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has more of a flood pattern and really lights up things right in front. Both together make a great combo.
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Re: lights, I know you "serious" cyclists scoff at them, but the MagicShine Clone headlights from ScamBay/Amazon are fantastic IMO. You get roughly 800 Lumens, nearly bright as a car headlamp, with a 2 hour runtime, for roughly $25. I know the QC is not ideal, but even if you have to replace this once/year it's way more affordable compared to the MEILLENSTEIN Lupine lights that cost 10-20X as much.
But a $50 dynamo (and build your own wheel) and $80 worth of lights and never run out of battery. I, frankly, will never go back to battery power. I ran low on battery practically every time I was out.

Old 10-31-17, 02:53 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
That is just tragic. AG is headed out of town on Friday for two weeks, so the knives will all be sharpened. Hell, some of them will get a literal polishing with fingerstones. Probably while watching Stranger Things S2. And The Mist.

It's not surprising there was nothing good though - most stores have an endless parade of celebrity-chef-branded copies of the exact same items, or famous-branded copies of the exact same items. You can't get the pan you (or I) would really like, but you can choose between the Rachel Ray and Wolfgang Puck colors of Teflon-coated aluminum! And matching painted stainless knives!

Sur Le Table is the shop that I'm talking about. They have some decent stuff, but nothing that's really speaking to me. I might just get a Miyabi Koh chef's knife (because it'll be better than the Wusthof bludgeon) or maybe an All-Clad SS saute pan or something.

I started watching ST2 a few days ago - no time for serious bingeing, though, so only through the first two episodes.
Old 10-31-17, 02:54 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28641 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
NYC = Terrible
Old 10-31-17, 02:55 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
MagicShine Clone headlights? I’m confused. Are they MagicShine or clones of MagicShine or what? Clones of Meillenstein?
Oops, I just saw the links.

Old 10-31-17, 02:58 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

We got a set of Wolfgang Puck heavyweight ss bowls, as we were leaving for Belize 16 years ago. They are like new today, minus the plastic tops, of course. I bet there are some fancy wine bottle stoppers in there. Perhaps some beer cozys.

Old 10-31-17, 03:02 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22609 Post(s)
Liked 8,932 Times in 4,164 Posts
I actually have one "true" Magicshine and one "knockoff/clone" and they are both fine. The original MagicShine costs a bit more, the clones are nearly as good and 1/3 the price.

They are in no way related to Meillenstein.
Old 10-31-17, 03:03 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by topslop1
Always another cuppa, my espresso people have arrived.

They're out of espresso pods here at work. 2018 I'll treat myself to a real espresso machine.
And your co-workers will destroy it within a week.

Old 10-31-17, 03:05 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
And your co-workers will destroy it within a week.
A real machine? Unpossible.
Old 10-31-17, 03:05 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

I was promised my cement block delivery at 2. It's 3:05.

Old 10-31-17, 03:14 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
I just left for a few minutes to help my wife with something and my MacBook went to sleep. I continued browsing and there were ads. Wut?

I checked and yep, I'd been logged out and had to log back in. Something is odd going on in BF land.
There must have been an update. There are always problems when they do an update.
Old 10-31-17, 03:14 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Sur Le Table is the shop that I'm talking about. They have some decent stuff, but nothing that's really speaking to me. I might just get a Miyabi Koh chef's knife (because it'll be better than the Wusthof bludgeon) or maybe an All-Clad SS saute pan or something.

I started watching ST2 a few days ago - no time for serious bingeing, though, so only through the first two episodes.
You're lucky then - SLT is the one that has a decent knife. Take a look at the Zwiling Kramer line - I have the basic Euroline version paring knife. The Damascus SG2 knives are quite decent:

https://www.surlatable.com/product/P...=c&matchtype=e

The 52100 version had some issues with the handle scales shrinking (being actual ebony as I recall), but may be resolved and they replace them without question in any case. Some people hate 52100; some find it quite good. The basic version uses what they call FC61, which is really Gillette AEB-L (called 13C26 by Sandvik). As such, it has no place in my house (the Euroline paring will be replaced eventually), but I believe you would have no such qualm with it.

I mean, if my knives, my travel knives, and my emergency backup knives all got stolen by the knife knomes, I'd drive across the street to SLT and buy that knife. So I wouldn't hate making dinner.
Old 10-31-17, 03:18 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

We got a set of Wolfgang Puck heavyweight ss bowls, as we were leaving for Belize 16 years ago. They are like new today, minus the plastic tops, of course. I bet there are some fancy wine bottle stoppers in there. Perhaps some beer cozys.
Well I would hope SS survived sixteen years. I can go to Maine and use plastic bowls my grandmother got when my father was a child, so that's more like fifty years. Heck I posted a pic of a tractor that's about seventy, maybe, and still does yeoman's work.
Old 10-31-17, 03:26 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I just had a cramp in my left shin. Not shin splints but an actual cramp. I’ve had a few in my right shin lately, too.

What the heck. I’ve had bad leg cramps before, usually adductor cramps but never shin.

Maybe I should ask the 50+ brain trust. ???

Old 10-31-17, 03:28 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

I just had a cramp in my left shin. Not shin splints but an actual cramp. I’ve had a few in my right shin lately, too.

What the heck. I’ve had bad leg cramps before, usually adductor cramps but never shin.

I thought that was genetic - I've gotten brutal Charlie-horses in my calves for quite some time, on and off, back to high school. So did bunches of other people then. My shins can get sore or swollen, but I've never even heard of one cramping. So that's Achievement Unlocked for the cyclist over the runner.
Old 10-31-17, 03:30 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Where are the adductors?

Old 10-31-17, 03:30 PM
WhyFi

You're lucky then - SLT is the one that has a decent knife. Take a look at the Zwiling Kramer line - I have the basic Euroline version paring knife. The Damascus SG2 knives are quite decent:

https://www.surlatable.com/product/P...=c&matchtype=e

The 52100 version had some issues with the handle scales shrinking (being actual ebony as I recall), but may be resolved and they replace them without question in any case. Some people hate 52100; some find it quite good. The basic version uses what they call FC61, which is really Gillette AEB-L (called 13C26 by Sandvik). As such, it has no place in my house (the Euroline paring will be replaced eventually), but I believe you would have no such qualm with it.

I mean, if my knives, my travel knives, and my emergency backup knives all got stolen by the knife knomes, I'd drive across the street to SLT and buy that knife. So I wouldn't hate making dinner.
The Miyabi Koh that I mentioned is FC61 as well.

I've heard that SG2 is a bit of a pain to sharpen, and that's something that I want to avoid.
Old 10-31-17, 03:32 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Where are the adductors?
Inner thighs, high up. Right alongside the nethers. If you have socks on a hardwood floor and stand with your legs spread and pull them together, it's your adductors you use.
Old 10-31-17, 03:32 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Well I would hope SS survived sixteen years. I can go to Maine and use plastic bowls my grandmother got when my father was a child, so that's more like fifty years. Heck I posted a pic of a tractor that's about seventy, maybe, and still does yeoman's work.
It seemed you were trashing WP. I also have fifty year old melmac bowls, from my own childhood. And those old farm tractors will last forever. Were you north of Route 2?

Old 10-31-17, 03:33 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12790 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
I was promised my cement block delivery at 2. It's 3:05.
I just got a banana concrete.
Old 10-31-17, 03:34 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts

Fine, but whatever you do don't bring none back with you.

Just yesterday night I had a high ankle cramp, above the ankle and wrapped around to the shin. Not the first time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.