Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Danger of carrying tools / phone in jersey vs bags?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-18, 04:40 PM
johngwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Just reading another thread on “cycling wallets” for tools etc, and I started to consider the safety aspect of carrying stuff in your jersey pockets vs in saddle or tube bags.

Apart from the comfort issue, I’m concerned whether a hard object might cause additional injury if you fall on your back. It’s also feel that my cell-phone isn’t very secure in a jersey pocket, and that it would be easily broken in a fall - which is precisely when you probably need your phone!

Becuase of these concerns, I’ve been using a saddle bag for tools & tube and a top-tube bag (Topeak) for my phone, keys & other small but hard items (e.g. small cable lock). There’s also room for some gels or snacks.

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Has anyone here suffered an injury from stuff in your pockets or busted your cell-phone after a fall?
Old 08-12-18, 05:21 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Probably. There are some pretty good hard cases for phones that are minimal bulk. Even if you break the screen most of the internals will still work. So if you get one of those apps (RoadID) that gives you a time period to cancel the emergency message, you’d have a significantly higher probabilty of getting a message out even if the phone took part of the impact. You could also wear something like an Apple Watch that has cellular capability. That way if your phone got whacked, you’d still be able to call out on your watch (essentially a phone backup).

My kids skied with their phones as alpine ski racers for years which meant a lot of hard falls and hard knocks. They also whacked them pretty hard on gates at speed too. We wound up replacing a few displays but the phones were never nonfunctional. Based on that, I’m pretty confident it would work. That said, nothing is foolproof - your bag can get knocked off the bike and run over by a car too.
Old 08-12-18, 05:44 PM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Of course there’s extra injury risk. There’s also risk to the components that you’re carrying (ie greater chance a phone breaks in your pocket opposed to in the bag).

There’s also a chance that having your phone there could prevent you from getting stabbed by a sharp metal object you could fall on.

At at the end of the day, do what makes sense for you.

I keep my phone and pepper spray in my jersey. Everything else in my bag.
Old 08-12-18, 05:50 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
A new UCI requirement coming soon, in the name of protecting its riders. It is fully customizable with sponsor logos etc.
Old 08-12-18, 06:03 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
A new UCI requirement coming soon, in the name of protecting its riders. It is fully customizable with sponsor logos etc.
UCI Airbag.
Inflate on impact?
Old 08-12-18, 08:25 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene

No hi-viz. It's a deathtrap.
Old 08-13-18, 01:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
A friend's broken clavicle was aggravated by those neck/shoulder mounted bluetooth speaker doodads. Freak accident.

I've fallen with jersey and shorts pockets crammed full. Can't recall that being a factor in any injury. So far my only serious injuries were side falls -- ribs last year, shoulder this year. The stuff in my pockets wasn't a factor.
Old 08-13-18, 06:43 AM
TassR700

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Gary Fisher Tassajara; Motobecane Boris Fatbike; Cannondale Habit

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I went over the bars and pancaked onto my back with my phone in an Otterbox Defender case in my center jersey pocket. Phone survived just fine but it gave me a broken rib to go along with my separated shoulder. I won't carry anything hard in my center pocket any more.
Old 08-13-18, 07:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18429 Post(s)
Liked 15,583 Times in 7,338 Posts
I am more afraid of getting sliced up by disc brake rotors.
Old 08-13-18, 07:45 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 712 Posts
Originally Posted by TassR700
I went over the bars and pancaked onto my back with my phone in an Otterbox Defender case in my center jersey pocket. Phone survived just fine but it gave me a broken rib to go along with my separated shoulder. I won't carry anything hard in my center pocket any more.
Are you sure it was the phone that gave you a broken rib...versus, say, oh, perhaps going over the bars and pancaking onto your back?

I know plenty of cyclists who've broken a rib or two (or six, in my case) who had nothing hard in their jersey pockets. Crashing breaks ribs just fine without requiring any additional help.
Old 08-13-18, 07:53 AM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
I used to wear gloves.
I had gone over the bars as a grade schooler, and the memory of soaking in epsom salt to prevent infection/release the grit and gravel
hung around for a long time.

Much more recently, riding too late one October evening, it got dark, no headlight, I put my front wheel into a pothole, and me over the bars again.

Long story short:
I so dislike tearing up my hands/knuckles
that I stopped wearing gloves.
Why?
A strong reminder to stay *on* the bike and *off* the tarmac.

Last edited by chainwhip; 08-13-18 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-13-18, 08:04 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I have had more issue from hard objects in my shorts pocket than in jersey pocket. Just bruising nothing serious. Possibly because the "side-fall" is more natural to me (trained in) where the contact is more on the hip, side of leg and upper back/shoulder. Over the bars is generally a roll, and stuff in the jersey pocket hasn't been a problem with that.

If you're doing the often-advised "arms in just fall" thing, then maybe a problem. If you're concerned about it, it's better IMO to learn correct falls and rolls than to address potential problems while falling dangerously.
Old 08-13-18, 08:12 AM
TassR700

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Gary Fisher Tassajara; Motobecane Boris Fatbike; Cannondale Habit

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Are you sure it was the phone that gave you a broken rib...versus, say, oh, perhaps going over the bars and pancaking onto your back?

I know plenty of cyclists who've broken a rib or two (or six, in my case) who had nothing hard in their jersey pockets. Crashing breaks ribs just fine without requiring any additional help.
Well, the rectangular bruise right over the top of the fracture seemed to convince the Dr. and physical therapist that the phone was the culprit. It was one of the floating ribs at the lower end of the back of the rib cage. Agree crashing doesn't need help to break stuff, but I am not adding any ammunition regardless.
Old 08-13-18, 12:35 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 712 Posts
So how about this one:

Several years ago while descending in a paceline that slowed suddenly, my wife grabbed a bit too much front brake and endo'd. Broke her collarbone. She also happened to be wearing one of those Take-A-Look eyeglass-mounted rear view mirrors. Because she went over the bars and landed on her face, the mirror got pushed all the way through her cheek into her mouth. And then ripped out again. Raggedy hole ~1" long in the side of her face that went all the way through. Mirror even wound up cutting her gums on the way in. Plastic surgeon had to sew her face up in six separate layers. (I forget if the stitches in her gums counted as one of those six, or if those were the seventh set of stitches she received.)

For those still reading...how many of you who currently ride with a rear view mirror will now stop riding with a rear view mirror because of this episode?
Old 08-13-18, 12:50 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
So how about this one:

Several years ago while descending in a paceline that slowed suddenly, my wife grabbed a bit too much front brake and endo'd. Broke her collarbone. She also happened to be wearing one of those Take-A-Look eyeglass-mounted rear view mirrors. Because she went over the bars and landed on her face, the mirror got pushed all the way through her cheek into her mouth. And then ripped out again. Raggedy hole ~1" long in the side of her face that went all the way through. Mirror even wound up cutting her gums on the way in. Plastic surgeon had to sew her face up in six separate layers. (I forget if the stitches in her gums counted as one of those six, or if those were the seventh set of stitches she received.)

For those still reading...how many of you who currently ride with a rear view mirror will now stop riding with a rear view mirror because of this episode?
Yikes - I imagine that what happened to your wife was a freak accident, but I'll be going the bar end-mounted mirror route in any case.
Old 08-14-18, 12:55 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
carrying too much stuff in your pockets usually damages the (especially lightweight) jerseys. experienced riders will carry 95% of what
they need on any given ride of decent distance. how they carry/transport it is their biz. have crashed more than i've wanted to. usually land
on my side. already have back issues. have been rocking a bag under the seat for innertubes, multitool and tire levers + debit/credit card(s)/
cash/id. currently slinging two big speakers in the left and right rear jersey pockets. crashed hard once w/o them interfering with existing back issues.
tomorrow never knows...turn off your mind relax and float downstream.
Old 08-14-18, 05:17 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
I wear mine attached to my helmet, so the same thing can't happen to me!
Old 08-14-18, 06:11 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
So how about this one:

Wow. I can’t imagine a more spectacular crash with a eyeglass mirror. Hope your wife is still riding after that. Even sans mirror. I’m more like @canklecat in that I have mostly crashed on my sides. Got a baseball sized road tattoo for each side in the last few years cycle commuting. Those cases I had a backpack. The rare times I ride from home, I’ll carry mini pump, tube and tire levers in a bundle in one jersey pocket. Then cell, wallet and house key in the other two pockets. I’ve never fallen on them but anything is possible...

Last edited by ptempel; 08-14-18 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-14-18, 07:05 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Of all the ways we can get hurt out there... this is pretty far down the list of **** to worry about. I've crashed - mountain and road - with my phone in my pocket and it's always come out unscathed. I don't use a saddle bag - everything goes in the jersey pockets. I make sure the stuff is flat, packed in the least "stabby" way possible. And, I don't care extra chainrings, brake discs or other "dangerous" stuff in the pockets.
Old 08-14-18, 09:41 AM
zoolzoo

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do you fall on your back alot when riding?
Old 08-14-18, 10:05 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Of all the ways we can get hurt out there... this is pretty far down the list of **** to worry about. I've crashed - mountain and road - with my phone in my pocket and it's always come out unscathed. I don't use a saddle bag - everything goes in the jersey pockets. I make sure the stuff is flat, packed in the least "stabby" way possible.
+1. I've had many wrecks(on and off-road), and never damaged anything in a jersey pocket, or had anything in the pockets harm me.

I do use a small seat bag for a tubes, and other repair items, but my phone, wallet, and food go into the pockets.
Old 08-14-18, 10:17 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I've also had more than my share of wrecks, and in each case I landed on my side. The backs of my jerseys were fine; the shoulders and sides of my jerseys and the sides of my bibs were torn up. An endo could be different, but that seems to be a much rarer case than washing out sideways.
Old 08-14-18, 10:18 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Not my bike (although coincidentally my bar tape) but I use a Quad Lock mount. One of my favorite purchases. The bars protect the phone a crash, My Garmin is my watch, so there is room for it, and if I get an emergency notifiaction, its right there to peek down at.
Old 08-14-18, 11:14 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
Not my bike (although coincidentally my bar tape) but I use a Quad Lock mount. One of my favorite purchases. The bars protect the phone a crash, My Garmin is my watch, so there is room for it, and if I get an emergency notifiaction, its right there to peek down at.
Nope. Crashes aren't that simple. Hands come off bars; heads go down, knees fly up, shoulders drop, bikes flip and tumble... < and that's just if it's one person. There's a reason sayings like "it was a yardsale" are used in reference to crashes. That phone is more vulnerable out there, than in a case in a pocket.
Old 08-14-18, 12:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
So how about this one:

I'll admit, that's exactly the type of injury I pictured when I first looked at the Take-A-Look mirror.

It won't deter me from using one, at least not until I find something better. Ideally I'd want the same design with rounder, rubber-padded edges, and perhaps a breakaway stem. The other helmet mirrors I tried were awkward, without the simple but versatile and functional mirror pivots of the Take-A-Look.

But it hasn't been a priority for me because the risk is so low compared with the risk of simply getting on a bike and riding. The most dangerous thing about every ride for me is the first mile of traffic between my apartment and my destination.

The better I can see my surroundings, including behind me via a good mirror, the safer I am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.