Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Picked up a 1991 99% original Trek 720 21”

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-23, 09:17 AM
D50doug
IMONABOAT43

Bikes: Trek, giant and an iron horse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I picked up a 1991 trek 720 multitrack hybrid. I’m pretty sure it’s about 99% original. I’m looking to get an idea if I should spend the time and money on going through it to sell or just sell as is. I’dike to see if anyone can give me a proper estimate both ways. Going through it, i.e. replacing the original dry rotted tires, sandblasting all screws, nuts and bolts to remove surface rust, touching up the few paint chips it has and buffing to blend in the job. Sanding and polishing spokes and wheels, having them rebalanced. The bike rides absolutely incredible the way it sits, everything works and it’s been sitting in a carport for over 15 years. All
I did was put on a new seat and put air in the tires (very scary). I appreciate all input. Thanks and God bless. Doug
Old 11-02-23, 09:37 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Pictures are always helpful. I’m not sure as to specific value, but all of that labor will probably not add a lot of value for the work involved.
Old 11-02-23, 09:57 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
Can't tell without pictures but honestly if you want to get rid of it just sell it. It doesn't pay to spend the time an effort for the few extra bucks you'll get. If you have to buy tires, cables, and casing at retail, you may get less than you put into it.

I like working on bikes. I have fixed up mid level vintage bikes I meant to sell at a net loss because I enjoyed the process. There is nothing wrong with that and actually better than most hobbies where you can't even give away the end result.
Old 11-03-23, 10:28 AM
abdon 

Sometimes that's not necessarily the best approach. I could help sell the bike to a non vintage person but more often than not you don't gain anything (you could hypothetically sell it for $100, or spend $50 on tires and hope to sell it for $150). Case in point I picked a specialized expedition that received that treatment, I have no use for the brand new tires it has so they are about to get replaced.

I would only work on it if the first attempt at selling it fails.
Old 11-03-23, 05:14 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
The used bike market has collapsed. Demand is non-existent in most areas of the country. The days of refurbing for profit are over. Best to sell as is.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 11-03-23, 06:13 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
In case it's helpful - I bought 3 Trek Multitracks in the past 2.5 years, all higher-level than your 700 (maybe more desirable since they're made in the USA with lighter frames and nicer components). I paid $40 for a 1998 730 17" (frame in good shape, needed new tires, new seat and seatpost, new brake pads, and $10 in parts to fix the brakes), $50 for a 1992 790 17" (some chips and rust on the frame, needs a significant overhaul and a lot of new parts), and $130 for a 1996 730 19" in nearly new condition (new tires, even - just needed brake pads). I'm in the San Francisco area, not sure how much location affects that pricing. I'm not reselling any of them right now.​​​​​​
Old 11-03-23, 07:16 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
With
Old 11-03-23, 07:24 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
With a short check it seems nice examples of these are selling offered for sell in most markets from $75-200 in good to nos condition so no room value on upgrades work . Very nice basic all around bike if you just want need something to ride I have road a lot worse.
Old 11-04-23, 05:57 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Originally Posted by D50doug
Hello everyone, I picked up a 1991 trek 720 multitrack hybrid. I’m pretty sure it’s about 99% original. I’m looking to get an idea if I should spend the time and money on going through it to sell or just sell as is. I’dike to see if anyone can give me a proper estimate both ways. Going through it, i.e. replacing the original dry rotted tires, sandblasting all screws, nuts and bolts to remove surface rust,I'm not trained in the arts of metalurigacal arts, but I think this will do more harm than good. Rub then with with some fine steelwool. touching up the few paint chips it has and buffing to blend in the job. Sanding and polishing spokes and wheels how rusty is thing? I would think a 720 would have alloy rims and stainless spokes. , having them rebalanced. The bike rides absolutely incredible the way it sits, everything works and it’s been sitting in a carport for over 15 years. All
I did was put on a new seat and put air in the tires (very scary). I appreciate all input. Thanks and God bless. Doug
Why did you buy it if you don't want it? Unless you're getting the bike free it is nearly impossible to make money on repairing and reselling bikes. Once you install new tires on this you're likely in the hole. Watch a few youtube videos about repairing bikes.

In your market it is probably worth what you paid for it.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-04-23, 12:07 PM
abdon 

I don't know about the OP but I have bought more than one bike on a whim that I have come to regret. Funny enough I know I'll do it again. For all we know he got it for dirt cheap if not free.
Likes For abdon:
Old 11-16-23, 08:41 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Definitely not worth your time doing the work you describe. Sand blasting rust off bolts? No thanks! It will come right back.