Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

15 year old Rockhopper worth buying?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-23, 07:25 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

A local seller a Specialized Rockhopper Comp XL with a Manitou fork for sale. It looks clean and well maintained.
Are these worth getting or is the geometry seriously outdated?
I would just be doing mild trails and/or gravel.
Would a different bike be better?
Old 12-17-23, 09:36 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
For light trail use and gravel it won't be bad, only thing I would look for is if the manitou is in need of a rebuild/refresh from 15yo seals, if its just a spring fork that might not be an issue either. An old MTB this age/quality. Modern MTBs do have a better geometry and better wheel size IMO, but the geometry will still be as good as it was at the time and just fine for gravel riding. Tire selection in the size is becoming an issue but high quality wheels are easy to find affordably on ebay. Cost, which you don't mention, will heavily influence how good a value it really is.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 12-17-23, 09:56 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
For light trail use and gravel it won't be bad, only thing I would look for is if the manitou is in need of a rebuild/refresh from 15yo seals, if its just a spring fork that might not be an issue either. An old MTB this age/quality. Modern MTBs do have a better geometry and better wheel size IMO, but the geometry will still be as good as it was at the time and just fine for gravel riding. Tire selection in the size is becoming an issue but high quality wheels are easy to find affordably on ebay. Cost, which you don't mention, will heavily influence how good a value it really is.
He is asking $125.00. He said it had just been tuned up and has like newSpecialized Nimbus Armadillo tires and Shimano Diore XT drivetrain.
I really have no idea if those are good. I also don’t know the weak parts of a mtb. Hubs?
Old 12-17-23, 10:02 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I have an old Gary Fisher Napa that I guess I could use. I just don’t like the cruiser handlebars or the shock-like seat post. It would probably cost more to update it than it’s worth and I would still have an old bike. I bought it years ago and really didn’t know anything about bikes then.
Old 12-17-23, 10:31 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Originally Posted by pepperbelly
He is asking $125.00. He said it had just been tuned up and has like newSpecialized Nimbus Armadillo tires and Shimano Diore XT drivetrain.
I really have no idea if those are good. I also don’t know the weak parts of a mtb. Hubs?
Those are good things. XT is shimano's second from the top groupset, only thing better is XTR. The tires are probably great for commuting, Spec Armadillos in my experience tend to be fairly heavy and dead feeling but the trade off is something that has incredible puncture resistance. They'll be fine for any paved sections you ride but for gravel you'll want something totally different, but you'll have to really look at your riding and decide what. There are options like the Vittoria Mezcal that has a continuous center tread that will ride better on pavement/gravel while still being a decent MTB tire. Hubs are cassette on this bike, not much of a weakness, just need to be cleaned and greased from time to time. At the price its a bargain.
Old 12-17-23, 10:48 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
While the geometry is pretty outdated by modern MTB standards. it will be fine for mild trails. And even not-so mild trails. And if it is in good shape, its worth $125.

Its all about condition, though. 15-year old MTB could be pretty ragged. Especially the fork.

Also, those tires are fine for gravel, but not really meant for trail riding. More like commuter tires.

Last edited by Kapusta; 12-17-23 at 10:51 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-17-23, 11:01 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I have my Roubaix for pavement. I have some friends that say I am missing out on some fun.
Old 12-18-23, 09:32 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
IMO, if it's in good condition buy it even if you need to invest in off road tires. As far as geometry goes, I like the older steeper head tube, better than the newer slack design, but everybody is different.
Likes For 2old:
Old 12-18-23, 11:55 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
It would probably be a 29er and the Manitou wouldn't be original if it was a 2008 according to the specs, At least that is what it looked like when I looked up that model for 2008 (15 years old). So probably not a weird tire size and who knows how old the fork is. It could be newer or older than the bike.

I have a similar vintage hardtail and it isn't a bad ride. I also have a new fully suspended bike, but still enjoy the hardtail sometimes. Too bad the tire choice on this hardtail is what it is. Still for the price if it is in decent shape...
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 12-18-23, 12:20 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by staehpj1
It would probably be a 29er and the Manitou wouldn't be original if it was a 2008 according to the specs, At least that is what it looked like when I looked up that model for 2008 (15 years old). So probably not a weird tire size and who knows how old the fork is. It could be newer or older than the bike.

I have a similar vintage hardtail and it isn't a bad ride. I also have a new fully suspended bike, but still enjoy the hardtail sometimes. Too bad the tire choice on this hardtail is what it is. Still for the price if it is in decent shape...
He isn’t sure what year it is. He guessed about 15 years old. He did say it has 26” wheels.
If this is just a so-so price I will pass.
Maybe I will run across something better later.
Old 12-18-23, 12:35 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

He isn’t sure what year it is. He guessed about 15 years old. He did say it has 26” wheels.
If this is just a so-so price I will pass.
Maybe I will run across something better later.
Honestly, IF it is in really good shape, $125 plus the money for some better tires is a good deal for a trail worthy bike. Really, $125 is practically free in the context of a trail worthy bike from this century.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-18-23, 09:55 PM
Russ Roth

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I stopped working at a shop that sold Specialized in 2006 so I don't have exact knowledge but I did look up what it should have before I answered, in 2008 it does appear there was both options, a Rockhopper comp, and a Rockhopper comp 29er, wouldn't surprise me as 29ers were coming out but there was uncertainty about how the masses would receive them. Since the specialized website referred to the model as having 29er in the name and the OP didn't I assumed that it was left out due to it being a 26" wheel. Should it be a 29er, I would hop all over it in a heartbeat at that price.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 12-18-23, 09:58 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I stopped working at a shop that sold Specialized in 2006 so I don't have exact knowledge but I did look up what it should have before I answered, in 2008 it does appear there was both options, a Rockhopper comp, and a Rockhopper comp 29er, wouldn't surprise me as 29ers were coming out but there was uncertainty about how the masses would receive them. Since the specialized website referred to the model as having 29er in the name and the OP didn't I assumed that it was left out due to it being a 26" wheel. Should it be a 29er, I would hop all over it in a heartbeat at that price.
The seller said it had 26” wheels.
Old 12-20-23, 09:21 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
If it’s in good shape go for a test ride. You’ll know. If you get you'll be the vintage guy.
Old 12-20-23, 10:09 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

It’s sold.
Old 12-21-23, 09:44 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
No surprise, it was a good deal.
Likes For 2old:
Old 12-21-23, 11:15 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

How about a 2010 Stumpjumper for $100?
Old 12-28-23, 07:32 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

How about a 2010 Stumpjumper for $100?
$100 for a real mtb is basically free. Question is how much work the bike needs. And for $100 I would expect it needs a LOT of work unless the seller is cluless or the bike is stolen.

Don’t expect a well functioning trail bike at the prices you are looking at here.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-26-24, 10:38 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5473 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
I would buy it. I'm always looking for deals like that. But I am old. My days of blasting around in single track trails are behind me.