Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Advice on first MTB. Trek, Specialized, or GT?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 05:48 PM
Jbmorrey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So I am looking for a first decent MTB, I found a GT karakoran 2.0 that is my size, but I have been also looking at the Trek marin5 and Specialized Pitch, so far the GT is the cheapest at $20, the Marin 5 and Specialized pitch seem to go for about $100 more. I am not going to do serious mountain biking, just for trail, but I want something I can upgrade as well, because I have a habit of getting into a hobby, and if I like it, I want to upgrade and get better stuff. What would be a recommendation for me? Thank you so much for the advice.

james
Old 03-03-24, 07:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Probably none of those bikes are good candidates for any upgrades but they are low initial cost bikes and it sounds like used bikes in some condition.

If you want a decent bike that could be upgraded look for something with air forks ideally from Rockshox, Fox, DVO, Öhlins, MRP...and ideally Deore derailleurs and shifters or above and hydraulic disc brakes. If you really and truly don't think you will get into it at all then get whatever but if you have an interest get a decent bike not just something to upgrade but a solid bike at the start so you won't be discouraged with poor components or a used bike that could use a lot of work.
Old 03-04-24, 12:18 AM
Jbmorrey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Probably none of those bikes are good candidates for any upgrades but they are low initial cost bikes and it sounds like used bikes in some condition.

If you want a decent bike that could be upgraded look for something with air forks ideally from Rockshox, Fox, DVO, Öhlins, MRP...and ideally Deore derailleurs and shifters or above and hydraulic disc brakes. If you really and truly don't think you will get into it at all then get whatever but if you have an interest get a decent bike not just something to upgrade but a solid bike at the start so you won't be discouraged with poor components or a used bike that could use a lot of work.
thanks for replying, so the GT Karakoram has Devore rear derailed that I can see and also has rock show forks, not sure what kinf
d they are but it does have that brand. The trek has shimano Tourney as does the specialized, I believe the trek is 7speed and the specialized is 8 speed, but the Gt is 9 speed. Would you say it’s more important to have good components when the frames are pretty comperable. I am only worried as I believe the Gt is a little less than 10 yrs old where the trek and specialized are about 3-5 yrs old, at least the ones in my price range.
Old 03-04-24, 06:11 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 251 Posts
Pics and actual specs would help with input.

Which one fits and rides best for you? Start with this! Too big or too small each have challenges.
Can you make your own repairs/upgrades?
What size steer tube on the forks? Straight 1 1/8 air fork options are limited but workable.
Is the 7 speed a freewheel or freehub? Freewheel is upgradable but with some caveats. I'd lean towards moar gears.
Components matter and higher up the product line is better. Tourney will get the job done but even stepping up to Alivio would be an improvement.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 03-04-24, 07:45 AM
Jbmorrey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s
Pics and actual specs would help with input.

Which one fits and rides best for you? Start with this! Too big or too small each have challenges.
Can you make your own repairs/upgrades?
What size steer tube on the forks? Straight 1 1/8 air fork options are limited but workable.
Is the 7 speed a freewheel or freehub? Freewheel is upgradable but with some caveats. I'd lean towards moar gears.
Components matter and higher up the product line is better. Tourney will get the job done but even stepping up to Alivio would be an improvement.
I am not sure on the type of forks, or what size they are, as for fit, I have yet to ride them, but at 5’7” I understand a medium is the size I need, seems like the GT Karakoram has better components, shocks and is about $100 cheaper, how important though is age, it looks very clean but is about 6-7 years older. Should I be concerned about the age difference?
Old 03-04-24, 08:06 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

I'd guess you take a medium but at 5'6" with shorter legs I find myself right on the edge of small and medium 29er mountain bikes.

As for your question about bike age, you're asking for advice from a guy who rides a 1994 Specialized S-Works M2 on the local trails. Age is not a concern to me. Other than upgrading to an air fork, it's pretty much as Specialized built it. I'll gladly ride a nice older high end bike over newer lower level - the only gripe is that M2 has 26 inch tires and rim brakes. For any trail riding, I'd rather have discs.

Last edited by Trav1s; 03-04-24 at 11:58 AM.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 03-04-24, 08:13 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbmorrey
thanks for replying, so the GT Karakoram has Devore rear derailed that I can see and also has rock show forks, not sure what kinf
d they are but it does have that brand. The trek has shimano Tourney as does the specialized, I believe the trek is 7speed and the specialized is 8 speed, but the Gt is 9 speed. Would you say it’s more important to have good components when the frames are pretty comperable. I am only worried as I believe the Gt is a little less than 10 yrs old where the trek and specialized are about 3-5 yrs old, at least the ones in my price range.
The Karakoram is probably the minor-ly better bike but it was from back in the day when they put a nicer rear derailleur on it and slightly cheaper parts elsewhere to make it look good. Compared to the newer stuff it would be a better bike as tourney is at the bottom of what Shimano makes and when you see that it is a bad sign for everything else, however it probably is a cheaper coil fork. Buy what you want but I wouldn't have such a low budget and then waste money upgrading. Get the bike you want out of the gate, if you decide you don't like cycling which I doubt then you will have a better resale value.

Quality 7 and 8 speed stuff came out in the 80s to the early 90s and 9 speed in the mid to late 90s. Now you can get an entry level 11 or 12 speed equipped bike with Deore and potentially some other decent parts. Really the key is finding an air fork vs coil and that will usually get you better shifting and sometimes brakes as well though the lower end of Shimano hydraulic brakes are surprisingly decent enough but I suspect it is harder to make those significantly lower performance vs a derailleur and shifter which is quite easy.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-04-24, 09:53 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Trav1s' advice is excellent. Buy the one that seems the most comfortable, best maintained and has a good bike shop selling the brand nearby (whether a shop is good is hard to assess, but you can visit to determine if they're friendly and ask the locals). Read about the model, learn about the various spec levels and get 10 posts so you can transmit pictures here. The Kent Trouvaille is $190 at Walmart now. If you purchase this bike, you'll have a good start except no good bike shop to service it. Also,you'll need to have a knowledgeable individual check it out (or read copiously).
Old 03-04-24, 12:28 PM
Jbmorrey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I put the GT Karakoram on hold at my local bike shop, they seem nice and we’re willing to help me adjust the bike to fit me if needed. I figure the components are better than the tourney and the price is cheaper as well, so $250 is a small initial investment and hopefully I can upgrade as needed, thank you everyone for the sound advice, it helped me feel more confident in my purchase. Will let y’all know if I get it.

james
Likes For Jbmorrey:
Old 03-04-24, 02:49 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Definitiely keep us updated.
Old 03-04-24, 09:10 PM
Jbmorrey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s
Definitiely keep us updated.
Travis ,
I looked at the bike a little closer today,
front shocks. Rockshokx C28
frot derailed Acera
back derailed Deore
brakes. Alivio

total price is $249. I put it on hold to possibly get tomorrow depending on how it rides.

james
Likes For Jbmorrey:
Old 03-18-24, 01:12 PM
Strawbunyan
StillNewbieButInGrey

Bikes: Austro Daimler SLE

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbmorrey
Travis ,
I looked at the bike a little closer today,
front shocks. Rockshokx C28
frot derailed Acera
back derailed Deore
brakes. Alivio

total price is $249. I put it on hold to possibly get tomorrow depending on how it rides.

james
how did it go?
Old 03-25-24, 02:35 PM
schnee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I'll chip in with something I've seen in myself, and several friends getting in to the sport:

Don't buy your first bike with the intent to upgrade. Buy a bike that lets you ride the trails around you well enough to decide whether or not you like the sport.
By riding it around, you'll develop and identify your preferences that you should then use to buy a solid 'low end of the high end' bike.

You don't know where it will take you yet. Maybe you'll make friends with a group that rides longer suspension bikes and ride faster and rowdier, and so you'd be better off with one of them too. Maybe you gravitate towards long distances and want something more 'bikepacking' friendly and stick with a solid entry-level hardtail with 120-130mm travel. Maybe you get something really flickable and rowdy like a 27.5mm tire mid-travel bike and ride it like a BMX. Maybe it's perfect in every way, but it's the wrong size or can't fit big enough tires. Or maybe you bounce off of it and this entry level bike becomes your coffee and bar-bike.

Just don't get too attached to that first bike - you'll likely flip it soon enough.