Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Trek Answers back on ZX

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Trek Answers back on ZX

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 06:01 PM
digitalayon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Answers back on ZX

Many of us can remember the special Trek frames from the late 90's. It was a project with Easton. However they took a left turn at some point and some of us (like me) would want to know why they'd leave such a good frame since they are still highly sought after frames even now. So I emailed Trek and a gal replied to it. And it's a sad story in my opinion.

"Dear ###########,

In reference to your question about the Easton Project. May of these very desirable frames can still be found through the “used” sections in bike shops and on the web. The project was one of our finest feats. But it was also one of our failures at the same time. The margin of error wasn’t big enough to keep it going. For a good frame to go out and be bonded correctly to pass inspection, it had to be pretty much perfect. Thus with the level of quality needed, there were about 3 frames being made to every one that was made good enough to be made into a bike. The other problem we had was the warranty. The paint on that frame actually added strength to the frame. The paint bonded with the metal. When areas of paint were warn away from use, the frame would buckle and sometimes break. Those who tried to strip the frames for a repaint, found it very hard to remove in the later models. But by then it was too late and we moved our division out of Easton’s plant and settled happily in China where the quality is high on all levels. I hope this helps you with your question of “what happened to the Easton/Trek frame Project of the late 90’s?”

Thank You
############
Trek R&d"
Old 10-30-07, 10:28 PM
Madoner
Brake Denial

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm not familiar with this. someone mind filling me in or posting pics/links?? thx!
Old 10-31-07, 06:02 AM
Svr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalayon
So I emailed Trek and a gal replied to it. And it's a sad story in my opinion.

"Dear ###########,

In reference to your question about the Easton Project. May of these very desirable frames can still be found through the “used” sections in bike shops and on the web. The project was one of our finest feats. But it was also one of our failures at the same time. The margin of error wasn’t big enough to keep it going. For a good frame to go out and be bonded correctly to pass inspection, it had to be pretty much perfect. Thus with the level of quality needed, there were about 3 frames being made to every one that was made good enough to be made into a bike. The other problem we had was the warranty. The paint on that frame actually added strength to the frame. The paint bonded with the metal. When areas of paint were warn away from use, the frame would buckle and sometimes break. Those who tried to strip the frames for a repaint, found it very hard to remove in the later models. But by then it was too late and we moved our division out of Easton’s plant and settled happily in China where the quality is high on all levels. I hope this helps you with your question of “what happened to the Easton/Trek frame Project of the late 90’s?”

Thank You
############
Trek R&d"
More like a BS story. Late '90s?

Trek sold bonded aluminum frames with Easton tubing for nearly ten years. The last year for the bonded MTB frames was 1997. Trek just realized that the competition was enjoying obscene margins from Chinese made goods and wanted a piece of that action.
Old 10-31-07, 08:59 AM
digitalayon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's the problem....there is no info....it's as if Trek never did the project
Old 10-31-07, 10:41 AM
Svr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go here: https://www.vintage-trek.com/TrekBrochures.htm

They introduce their bonded aluminum frame in 1985, and started marketing the tubesets as Easton E9 series in the late '80s.
Old 10-31-07, 11:41 AM
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a good frame to go out and be bonded correctly to pass inspection, it had to be pretty much perfect.
Maybe I'm reading too much into this line, but what does it imply about their other frames?
Old 10-31-07, 01:12 PM
C Law
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Late nineties? i have other questions that need answering;

1. What ever happened to N'Sync?
2. whats the best use for my Y2k Bombshelter?
3. Will my cisco shares ever hit $80 again?
Old 11-01-07, 07:32 AM
trek1

Bikes: Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But by then it was too late and we moved our division out of Easton’s plant and settled happily in China where the quality is high on all levels. I hope this helps you with your question of “what happened to the Easton/Trek frame Project of the late 90’s?”

Thank You
############
Trek R&d"
I beg to differ with high quality coming from China in anything......do they add lead to the bikes or some other deadly material we yet have to discover. They have no enviromental regluations and their crap is only pleasing to the eye until it is put in every day use situations, then falls apart sooner than later. Please, what a BS statement from a company that advertises "Hand built in the USA" on their top models. Worse is that pretty soon most Americans will not only be able to afford new cars, they won't be buying their new bikes either.....and on and on (bye bye middle class USA)
Old 11-01-07, 09:04 AM
jm01
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm...my daughter's first MTB was the 7600zx in the Trek anniversary colours. She loved that bike.
Old 11-05-07, 08:34 AM
dwtlax
New to the road

Bikes: Road is a Airborne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first bike was a Trek 7000 ZX, the dragonfly green.. I miss that bike so much!!
Old 11-06-07, 01:12 AM
digitalayon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dude....I had the same bike color.....mine was stolen....I swear the ZX series climed better than the later 7000 models.....I just found on ebay a 96' 18 inch 7000 ZX frame. Bought it for 80 bucks....can't wait to build it up with my 2002 LX parts.
Old 10-20-10, 12:00 PM
RoadDawg52

Bikes: 1985 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1988 Schwinn Prelude, 20?? S&W Tactical MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1997 zx 7000

After a lifetime of riding road bikes i bought my first MTN bike at age 59. A used (stored in a garage for 10 years) TREK ZX 7000. Tires were rotten cotton (Psychos...looked brand new!) I took it to mt LBS and had some Kenda K-Rads installed along with a general tuneup. The smallish 18" frame seemed too small for me but the bike shop guy said it would be fine. He said the frame was perfect. After 340 miles of flat trail and road riding I am completely blown away with this bike. I'll never go back to road bikes-this is way too much fun!
Here's my queston...should I upgrade the bike or save my money and invest in a more modern bike? I only paid 150 dollars for the Trek. i would appreciate any opinions / advice as I'm a complete newbie to MTN biking. Going forward, I'd like to try my hand at all terrain biking. Not looking to do downhill or aggressive...more like XC and touring. Thanks!
Old 10-20-10, 03:37 PM
Ali_Pine

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper

Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Here's my queston...should I upgrade the bike or save my money and invest in a more modern bike?"

Yes do both. Sooner or later you will 'need' a new bike, just like the wife need new shoes.
Old 10-20-10, 04:50 PM
meatpants
15 minutes with you

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my question: Does anyone at trek understand grammar?

"When areas of paint were warn away from use, the frame would buckle and sometimes break."

I hate when my paint gets warn out.

+1 to Junkyard's comment.

I had an old trek 8000 that i freakin' loved. I traded it for a bass guitar and amp. Dumbest trade for me (to date).
Old 04-05-17, 06:57 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Many of us can remember the special Trek frames from the late 90's. It was a project with Easton. However they took a left turn at some point and some of us (like me) would want to know why they'd leave such a good frame since they are still highly sought after frames even now. So I emailed Trek and a gal replied to it. And it's a sad story in my opinion.

"Dear ###########,

Thank You
############
Trek R&d"
***ZOMBIE ALERT***

The above statement most likely was given by someone in the mailroom. Paint adding strength to the frame??

I just bought a '96 7000zx off CL for 60.00 and now giving it a new paint finish so I can safely ride this off the curb.
Old 04-06-17, 05:59 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by trek1
, what a BS statement from a company that advertises "Hand built in the USA" on their top models.
Frames that are built in China / Taiwan then all the parts (also made in the same place) are assembled onto the frames (hand built) at their plant in Waterloo, WI. So only partial BS. The bottom line is there is no major bicycle production in the U.S. for any of the big players. And if they did make them here, the vast majority couldn't afford them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2014/08/01/in-wa...-bicycles.html