Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

having a secondary set of wheels for a cyclocross bike

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 10:46 AM
samlochner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am buying a surly cross check for its versatility. It comes with cross tires. I would like to have a second wheel set for road riding. I am wondering the best way to go about this. I'm thinking I need to have a complete extra set including rims, tires, spokes, hubs, and cassette for the rear. Is there a better way to do it without requiring a new cassette?

Can someone who keeps a second set of wheels for the same bike explain how they go about it? Also, any tips on the most economical way about purchasing (complete or in parts, on the web or in a lbs) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sam
Old 05-26-11, 11:28 AM
jgt_madone_newb
Oops... Madone-less

Bikes: seven Axiom SG, Spec Roubaix Expert Di2, Trek DS8.4, Trek Sawyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do just exactly that - a second wheelset ready to go - wheels tires, cassette. I can swap the cross wheelset for the "road" wheelset in about two minutes. no tools, no derailler adjustments, nothing. It's really slick. If I had to mess with swapping out cassettes and stuff, I'd never do it.
Old 05-26-11, 11:28 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
A complete second set of wheels is definitely the way to go. It'll make things much easier if you get two sets of wheels with the same width rims. Otherwise you need to adjust the brakes whenever you switch wheels.

Are you getting the Surly at your LBS? If so, your best bet might be to talk to them about getting two sets of wheels with the bike (perhaps swapping out the stock wheels). Buying complete wheels is definitely the way to go. You can often get essentially new Mavic Aksiums for around $150 on eBay, because they come stock on a lot of bikes but it seems many people feel the need to upgrade to something flashier immediately.
Old 05-26-11, 12:17 PM
samlochner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, thanks. I'll do exactly that.
If anyone knows of any good low cost canadian online bike stores, please let me know.

Thanks again,
Sam
Old 05-26-11, 01:20 PM
bluenote157

Bikes: Surly CC, Raleigh Team Pro, Specialized Rockhopper with an xtracycle

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah.. just get a second set of wheels and another cassette. I would recommend the same width, but I suppose you'd want a narrower "road setup". I guess you can always use a barrel adjuster of some sort??
If you are thinking of getting the same set that the surly's ship (alex dc16???) with, I have some used ones with less than 300 miles that were never used for cx but more for commuting. PM me if interested.
Old 05-26-11, 01:30 PM
samlochner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By sheldon browns chart:
https://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
I could put a 25mm tire on a rim with 16.3mm inner width and be safe. Sound right? So I could use the same size rim that comes on my cross check for a 25mm rode tire?
Old 05-26-11, 02:03 PM
shadoman

Bikes: Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Cannondale ST400, Fuji Palisade, GT Timberline FS, Raleigh Technium 420, Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn Tempo, Specialized Sirrus Elite (aluminum), Specialized Sirrus Triple (steel), Trek 7.6, Viner Road Record

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 19 Posts
Yup. Sheldon's chart shows that you should be able to go safely anywhere in the 25-37 range. Keep in mind that all tires don't mount the same though. Some are easier to get on and off the rim than others. Also, one day you might need to mix and match the sets (flat, wheel damage, who knows?) and you may notice a difference in handling the farther the two sets are apart in size. You have to choose which criteria are the most important to you.