Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Newbie trying to tune up 90s Specialized bike. Few questions.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-11, 03:56 AM
3800Chris

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I want to say thanks first because when I started I had LOTS of questions, but after perusing these forums for a while I have learned quite a bit. I am mechanically inclined and do a lot of work to my car, but this is my first venture into bicycles.

My bike is from around 1995 and says it is a Specialized Hardrock. It seems to have gripshift gear selectors, and the cassette is a 7 speed 11-28 if I counted right. I have linked pictures of the bike and the cassette at the bottom of this post.

I have tried some offroad riding on this bike in the time I have owned it, and I enjoy doing that from time to time. Lately I have been riding more, and I would like to tune my bike up and use it for riding paved trails in Philadelphia, though sometimes I will still want to go offroad.

Now for my questions:
Can I use different shifters without issue, including switching from index to friction shifting? i.e. gripshift to shimano revo
Any recommendation on which to use? (I think I like the feel of index)

I also have to replace a shifter on another bike. It looks like the same gripshift I have. Do I just find a gripshift index shifter and swap it out, or are there different types?

I may want to buy some better looking pedals, what size threads do I need(I found multiple options when searching)?

I need to overhaul my wheel bearings. What size wheel bearings on my front and rear wheels? 3/16" and 1/4"?

What tools will I need to swap bearings? What size cone wrenches, cassette lockring remover, wrenches, chain whip, etc.

Should I bother to true my wheels myself, or should I have a shop do it? I would use the "on-bike brake pad method"

Should I replace my cassette and chain? It looks a little worn to me, but not bad, though a shop told me it needed replacement. If the parts aren't too expensive I want to just do it. And do I just look up the same cassette I have on there? Is it a shimano? Any specific chain I should be looking at?

Should I replace the crank gears? If so, which should I buy?

Can/should I replace the bearings in my bottom bracket(where the crank is)?

I think I may also want to buy new wheels. What kind of new wheels should I use? I could keep my old worn our wheels(tread in middle is worn low) and buy some smooth road wheels(since I am riding paved trails a lot). Or just buy a new set of offroad wheels, and just run them on the street too?
If I buy a set of smooth wheels, I will switch back to my used wheels for use offroad, which is why I am thinking of just buying offroad wheels, but if road wheels will feel much better then I may want them instead.

And which wheels would you recommend?

I am not sure if my rear derailleur is bent. I didn't think much of laying my bike down when I was young, and there are some minor shifting and alignment issues. However I feel these may just be from how filthy and un-tuned my bike is, so should I try to clean and tune(thanks to the video tutorials) both derailleurs first, or is there some way to check my derailleurs for obvious damage?

Thanks for all the help!

Old 07-11-11, 05:44 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by 3800Chris
Hello, I want to say thanks first because when I started I had LOTS of questions, but after perusing these forums for a while I have learned quite a bit. I am mechanically inclined and do a lot of work to my car, but this is my first venture into bicycles.

My bike is from around 1995 and says it is a Specialized Hardrock. It seems to have gripshift gear selectors, and the cassette is a 7 speed 11-28 if I counted right. I have linked pictures of the bike and the cassette at the bottom of this post.

I have tried some offroad riding on this bike in the time I have owned it, and I enjoy doing that from time to time. Lately I have been riding more, and I would like to tune my bike up and use it for riding paved trails in Philadelphia, though sometimes I will still want to go offroad.

Now for my questions:
Can I use different shifters without issue, including switching from index to friction shifting? i.e. gripshift to shimano revo
Any recommendation on which to use? (I think I like the feel of index)

You could use any Shimano 7-speed indexed shifter or any non-indexed shifter if you don't care about keeping the index function

I also have to replace a shifter on another bike. It looks like the same gripshift I have. Do I just find a gripshift index shifter and swap it out, or are there different types?

You have to match the number of "speeds" the cassette has.

I may want to buy some better looking pedals, what size threads do I need(I found multiple options when searching)?

Your pedal threads are 9/16"-20tpi which is the standard for all good quality pedals and cranks. The other available size is 1/2"-20 used only on Ashtabula (one-piece) cranks and some BMX bikes. Remember, the left pedal (non-drive side) is left-hand threaded so it removes and installs by turning it the opposite way from common threads. You may also need a pedal wrench if the wrench flats on your old or new pedals aren't wide enough for a standard 15 mm open end wrench

I need to overhaul my wheel bearings. What size wheel bearings on my front and rear wheels? 3/16" and 1/4"?

Most likely that is correct. Typically 10x3/16" balls per side for the front hub and 9x1/4" balls per side in the rear.

What tools will I need to swap bearings? What size cone wrenches, cassette lockring remover, wrenches, chain whip, etc.

You will need suitable size cone wrenches (usually 13 and 14 mm or 13 and 15 mm front and rear but hubs vary. You will have to measure yours), a lockring tool to match your brand of cassette, an adjustable wrench or bench vise to hold the lockring tool and a chain whip. Also suitable bearing grease and perhaps new bearing balls.

Should I bother to true my wheels myself, or should I have a shop do it? I would use the "on-bike brake pad method"

Do you understand how wheels are constructed and trued? If so, do it. If not, find out or let the LBS do it.

Should I replace my cassette and chain? It looks a little worn to me, but not bad, though a shop told me it needed replacement. If the parts aren't too expensive I want to just do it. And do I just look up the same cassette I have on there? Is it a shimano? Any specific chain I should be looking at?

If they are worn and shifting badly, replace both. The brand will be marked on the cassette lockring and is probably a Shimano but check first. You can buy the same cassette configuration if you like the present gear range. Any good quality 7/8-speed chain will be fine and Shimano, SRAM, or KMC are all good.

Should I replace the crank gears? If so, which should I buy?

Only if they are badly worn or damaged. Chainrings (the accepted name for "crank gears") are very durable and last thousands and thousands of miles if not badly abused.

If you have a loose bearing cup-and-cone bottom bracket it can be serviced and relubed like the wheel bearings. If you have a sealed cartridge bottom bracket they aren't serviced but replaced when worn out. Have your dealer determine which type you have. Both require some specialized tools and a crank arm puller to work on.

I think I may also want to buy new wheels. What kind of new wheels should I use? I could keep my old worn our wheels(tread in middle is worn low) and buy some smooth road wheels(since I am riding paved trails a lot). Or just buy a new set of offroad wheels, and just run them on the street too?
If I buy a set of smooth wheels, I will switch back to my used wheels for use offroad, which is why I am thinking of just buying offroad wheels, but if road wheels will feel much better then I may want them instead.

I believe you are referring to tires, not wheels. Yes, if your current tires are badly worn, replace them. For the mixed, mostly pavement, riding you do either road tires or a lightly treaded tire would work well.

And which wheels would you recommend?

Tires, not wheels. See your dealer for the proper size and type.

I am not sure if my rear derailleur is bent. I didn't think much of laying my bike down when I was young, and there are some minor shifting and alignment issues. However I feel these may just be from how filthy and un-tuned my bike is, so should I try to clean and tune(thanks to the video tutorials) both derailleurs first, or is there some way to check my derailleurs for obvious damage?

Well, certainly clean everything first. You can't really inspect and evaluate their condition when the parts are dirty. Then, if shifting remains poor have your LBS check the derailleur hanger alignment and realign it if needed..

Thanks for all the help!]
I'll answer some of these questions. My comments are in bold under the particular topic.
Old 07-11-11, 08:24 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Can I use different shifters without issue,
Kinda-sorta. You need to match number of speeds (unless friction), there are different actuation ratios available, and "road" parts take another bar diameter than "MTB" parts.

including switching from index to friction shifting? i.e. gripshift to shimano revo
You've got a bit of confusion going on there. Gripshift and revoshift are both indexed shifters, they switch between defined positions (well, there's a really low-end gripshift unit which is more of a ratchet unit)
Friction shifters act like a door with badly rusted hinges, they'll stay at whatever angle you put them, with no preference of their own.
AFAIK friction shifters are only available in a lever design.
I can't see the point of replacing one with the other, unless what you have is broken. Grip/Revo to trigger shifters OTOH, there's a change.

Maybe Grip has a slightly smaller diameter "barrel" than Revo.

Any recommendation on which to use?
I really like Grip on my winter commuter, they're compatible with mittens. I'd probably be quite content with Revo as well. But as long as I can ride bare-handed or with thinner gloves I prefer trigger shifters. Can't see myself going back to friction for the kind of riding I do now. But for someone with a more predictable ride friction can certainly work well too.

Yes, there are different types. Numbers of speed can certainly change, some are meant for internally geared hubs, and I don't really know what SRAM is up to with regards to actuation ratios.

Wheel trueing is one of those things that are really binary, done well or done fast? And there's really no set value for where "good" begins and "bad" ends. If you're reasonably patient, try it yourself.

Should I replace my cassette and chain?
Chains and cassettes wear together. When you're starting from scratch you can usually get several chains worth out of one cassette - assuming you swap out the chain in time. If you don't know the history, the new chain might not play nice with the old cassette, so you may as well ride 'em into the ground and replace both when the chain begin to skip.

.. It looks a little worn to me,
Judging cassette wear is difficult. There are all kinds of contours, shifting ramps and such that messes with the visual impression. It's a bit more trustworthy to wrap a chain around and see if there's a gap.

.. And do I just look up the same cassette I have on there?
Well, are you happy with what you have now or not? You may be able to replace it with one with tighter spacing or a wider range if you wish.

Any specific chain I should be looking at?
I like KMC. As far as I can judge, they're inexpensive, and I can't notice any difference in performance.

Should I replace the crank gears?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

.. which should I buy?
If you're doing it for the sheer fun of it, get whatever that tickles your fancy. You may have to replace the BB as well. Don't expect to notice much of a difference though.

You probably have a cartridge BB. These are usually not serviced, but replaced in one piece when required. Unless yours is obviously damaged/worn (play, uneven action) there's very little improvement to be had from a replacement.

Are you talking about wheels here, or are you actually talking about getting a new set of tires?

Having two sets of wheels with different tires on them can be quite handy if you ride seriously different surfaces. Otherwise there's really not much call for those very knobbly off-road tires. You need a lot of soft mud before they become useful. A tire with fairly low knobs will do OK on both roads and firm trails. Continental Speed King comes to mind.
Road slicks are nice on roads, and not horrible on firm trails either. They're hopeless on sand/mud, and as they're usually narrower more prone for snakebite flats. 1.25 is certainly narrow enough for me.

..I am thinking of just buying offroad wheels, but if road wheels will feel much better then I may want them instead.
Don't think I've ever seen any dedicated "road" wheels in 26". There's no stopping you from getting a pair with a lower spoke count (and narower rim)to use as road wheels though.

I am not sure if my rear derailleur is bent. .. or is there some way to check my derailleurs for obvious damage?
Get bike into a gear that has the derailer pointing straight down. Stand bike upright. Try to get frame as vertical as possible. Hunker down behind bike, eyeball derailer alignment. If it looks vertical it's probably OK.

Front derailer is so well tucked in that it rarely sees any handling damage.

However I feel these may just be from how filthy and un-tuned my bike is, so should I try to clean and tune .. first,
Clean and tune, put some new cables in. The skill will come in useful eventually anyhow.

Last edited by dabac; 07-11-11 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-11-11, 05:24 PM
3800Chris

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you both so much. You answered all my questions and more. And sorry, I did mean tires not wheels, I always confuse the two. But I like the extra info about wheels, it gives me a bit to think about.

These forums are great! So much better than the car-model specific forums I am used to browsing(my big hobby is car modding).