Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Gravel/cross bike recommendations for short rider

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 11-14-19, 01:25 AM
sanspm

Bikes: Specialized Ruby, Norco Search, Specialized Ruze, Norco VFR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm short (5'2) with short legs (720cm inseam) and I'm really struggling to find a gravel or cross bike model that works for me. Even the smallest frames tend to have insufficient standover.

I currently ride a Kona Major Jake size 48cm and I have no standover clearance which affects my confidence on the trails. I'm looking for a model that will give me a bit more clearance and can serve as my winter road bike, take me on gravel/fire roads, and have to option to do some cross races. I want something that has wide gearing ratios (wider than my Jake) and I'm considering a 1x set up. I'd like the option to put 28mm tires for winter riding and 40mm tires for gravel grinding.

Any suggestions for models I should look at? I'm looking to spend <$2000

Last edited by sanspm; 11-14-19 at 11:36 PM. Reason: added more detail
Old 11-14-19, 06:09 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
I'm roughly your height and I ride 24" wheeled bikes. A huge improvement in fit over larger wheeled bikes.
I currently ride a Giant ARX 24 yet it doesn't have any suspension. I suggest you try one of these for fit if you see one, https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...-jrdot-24-2020
I have seen high end, high performance 24" wheeled MTN bikes on the market and I suggest you see what you can find where you are.

Now these bikes are called "Youth" bikes but don't let that put you off. For whatever reason, the bicycle industry has been habitually putting people on bikes that are too big for them for a LONG time and shorter adults have not been well served.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 11-14-19 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-14-19, 07:40 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I am 5' - 6". I used to cyclocross on a 54 cm (way too big). I have downsized to 42cm (much better). I think that you should find a store with some sub 40 cm bikes if at all possible, and try them out (see what it is like to ride a smaller bike) with the seat adjusted to your preferred height. (measure it from your current bike) Do not forget that your test ride will likely be on pavement, and a bike always "feels" bigger once you are out in the dirt, and especially when dismounting the bike.
Old 11-15-19, 06:03 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
I should have looked earlier to see what a Kona Major Jake was.
Try to test ride one of these, Seriously. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-tcx-espoir-24

I expect that you will need to change a few parts out yet try it for basic fit.
Old 12-05-19, 06:50 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by sanspm
I'm short (5'2) with short legs (720cm inseam) and I'm really struggling to find a gravel or cross bike model that works for me. Even the smallest frames tend to have insufficient standover.

I currently ride a Kona Major Jake size 48cm and I have no standover clearance which affects my confidence on the trails. I'm looking for a model that will give me a bit more clearance and can serve as my winter road bike, take me on gravel/fire roads, and have to option to do some cross races. I want something that has wide gearing ratios (wider than my Jake) and I'm considering a 1x set up. I'd like the option to put 28mm tires for winter riding and 40mm tires for gravel grinding.

You could import an alu HUP Evo build (DIY which is cheaper, or complete):-
https://kidsracing.co.uk/collections...p-evo-drop-bar

1x. Threaded 68mm bb. Custom build options. The 48cm frame recommends a minimum of 68cm bare-foot.
Site mentions 55mm clearance i.e. clearance between fork blades, and chainstay, so a 40mm+ 700c should fit easily.
Old 12-09-19, 11:17 PM
sanspm

Bikes: Specialized Ruby, Norco Search, Specialized Ruze, Norco VFR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the suggestions! In one of the other threads somebody suggested the fantastic website www.99spokes.com to compare bikes and geometries which has really helped the search. I have found, however, that there is a great variation in the standover height the manufacturer claims and what it actually is when you throw a leg over the bike, so it seems that manufacturers measure the SO at different spots along the sloping top tube.

I've tried out a Specialized Diverge, Norco Search, Kona Rove, Salsa Journeyman, Cannondale Topstone, and a Trek Checkpoint. The main issue is that while shops usually have a 52 or 54 in stock, it's less common to have anything smaller especially in the mid-level range. I'm pretty reluctant to buy a bike sight unseen so I'm somewhat limited to the "usual" brands found in my area. At least I've determined that I need to have hydraulic brakes because of my short fingers, (affordable) steel is too heavy, and that a 1x drivetrain probably won't be the ideal option for winter riding.

Second follow up question: The Norco Search comes with 650b wheels in the 48 and 700 wheels in the 50.5. The 48 would be a special order but I tried the 50.5 and have sufficient standover and it felt good riding, though it felt better when they put a slightly shorter stem on it. Any thoughts on how a smaller bike with 650b wheels would ride differently from a larger bike with 700 wheels? I'm a weak hill climber, and I'm not really comfortable above 100 rpm for any length of time (I tend to push heavier gears at a lower cadence), and on bikes with a 700 wheel I seem to prefer a crank arm length of 165 (170 feels like too big a circle for my legs), if that makes any difference.

Third follow up question: on something like the Checkpoint, is it possible to have one 700 wheelset (for the road) and a 650b wheelset (for gravel) or do other things have to change when you change wheel sizes so it wouldn't be practical?
Old 12-19-19, 02:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
It's really impossible to say how the 48 will feel, but my guess is that it would work out well. I put 650b wheels on a bike of mine made for 700c wheels. (I changed the brake calipers to make them reach the rims.) It was a bit of an adjustment but not terribly difficult. I would bet that most people wouldn't even notice it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-19-19, 03:22 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
https://velo-orange.com/collections/...-complete-bike

Somewhat unusual with a retro-rando vibe but 51cm Polyvalent with 26 inch wheels might fit you.
Old 12-21-19, 12:31 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by sanspm

Surly makes bikes in smaller sizes. The Cross Check is available down to 42cm. After 54, they have a 52, 50, 46, and a 42. https://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check

The Midnight Special comes in a 50cm, 46cm and 40cm. https://surlybikes.com/bikes/midnight_special