Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will my Road Bike be okay to put Infant Child Seat in front?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Will my Road Bike be okay to put Infant Child Seat in front?

Old 02-25-20, 08:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
a limb from a tree maybe has it come to this

I have it from good authority (Looney Tunes) that we are in constant danger of having anvils and pianos dropped on our heads.
Old 02-26-20, 04:18 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
My opinion is that one should ONLY consider using a slow and stable, long-wheelbase, tourist style bicycle with a minimum of 32mm tire width. Wider wheels and tread width would be even better.
Safety and protection of the infant is paramount!
Recently, our riding group came upon a young, first time dad, who was recklessly riding with his small child, enclosed in the zipper bubble of the bike trailer behind his SPECIALIZED bicycle at Saluda Shoals Park. This young man did not realize that he was just riding way too fast with a child in the trailer! He didn't realize just how recklesss he had been, until one person in our group videoed this guy and then showed him the video.
The young man just didn't realize he had been going so fast that while cornering downhill that one rear wheel was at least two inches off the ground and sometimes bouncing twice that high when encountering bumps. You cannot expect to ride at 22mph to 27mph with a child onboard or in a trailer attached to your bicycle!
My recommendation is that with any child onboard, you should Go Slow ( 10mph to 16mph maximum Cruising Range).
Others will possibly have different opinions, but I firmly believe that when Children are involved, It is Not What Is Best For You The "Cyclist"!!!!
You cannot treat such bicycling outtings with children onboard or being towed as a "normal training ride".
It is stupid and reckless to even consider doing that.
Ride like a dad! Do not ride like you are some crazed cycling pro on a regimen of banned substances in a furious quest to win the Tour de France this year!
REMEMBER THAT A CHILD is riding along. It seems that perhaps it is easy to have a momentary lapse of reason while enjoying a ride.
Slow Down! I recommend using a suitable, slow, stable, tourist type bicycle for the times that you are riding with a child as a passenger.
Hey, if you ever happen to see someone riding recklessly with a child onboard, don't be afraid to say something to that rider. They probably aren't the dumbass that they appear to be, they just might not realize how fast and reckless that they are riding while the child is onboard!!
Old 02-27-20, 09:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
My opinion is that one should ONLY consider using a slow and stable, long-wheelbase, tourist style bicycle with a minimum of 32mm tire width. Wider wheels and tread width would be even better.
Safety and protection of the infant is paramount!
Recently, our riding group came upon a young, first time dad, who was recklessly riding with his small child, enclosed in the zipper bubble of the bike trailer behind his SPECIALIZED bicycle at Saluda Shoals Park. This young man did not realize that he was just riding way too fast with a child in the trailer! He didn't realize just how recklesss he had been, until one person in our group videoed this guy and then showed him the video.
The young man just didn't realize he had been going so fast that while cornering downhill that one rear wheel was at least two inches off the ground and sometimes bouncing twice that high when encountering bumps. You cannot expect to ride at 22mph to 27mph with a child onboard or in a trailer attached to your bicycle!
My recommendation is that with any child onboard, you should Go Slow ( 10mph to 16mph maximum Cruising Range).
Others will possibly have different opinions, but I firmly believe that when Children are involved, It is Not What Is Best For You The "Cyclist"!!!!
You cannot treat such bicycling outtings with children onboard or being towed as a "normal training ride".
Ride like a dad! Do not ride like you are some crazed cycling pro on a regimen of banned substances in a furious quest to win the Tour de France this year!
REMEMBER THAT A CHILD is riding along. It seems that perhaps it is easy to have a momentary lapse of reason while enjoying a ride.
Slow Down! I recommend using a suitable, slow, stable, tourist type bicycle for the times that you are riding with a child as a passenger.
Hey, if you ever happen to see someone riding recklessly with a child onboard, don't be afraid to say something to that rider. They probably aren't the dumbass that they appear to be, they just might not realize how fast and reckless that they are riding while the child is onboard!!

I definitely followed those rules as regards to speed. I easily took 8-10 mph off of my cruising speed when I had a seat on or a trailer attached. There's a lot of good reasons to do this, one of which is going any faster will definitely bounce the kid around more no matter how careful you are.

I also used fairly heavy hybrids every time I did this, so I really can't say whether I agree with you on the unsuitability of other types of bikes--I really can't compare how they would handle under load like this.
Old 02-27-20, 09:31 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
....I really can't say whether I agree with you on the unsuitability of other types of bikes--I really can't compare how they would handle under load like this.
They handle just fine.

It's a post with a bunch of "rules" frankly based on irrational fear and/or prejudice. In general these "rules" make no more sense than Velominati rules.

The irony that most Vintage Schwinns violate one or more rules above is rich.

I violated so many of the above "rules." Neither myself nor my child died.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 02-27-20, 09:44 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
You cannot expect to ride at 22mph to 27mph with a child onboard or in a trailer attached to your bicycle!

I think, also, you have to take into account where you are riding, before you throw any hard-and-fast rules about which bike you're 'allowed' to ride, and how fast one is permitted to go.
I certainly did training rides while pulling the trailer; However, it wasn't at the MTB park. I usually carried my stuff out to the Dismal Swamp Canal 'Trail' which is actually a closed-to-traffic stretch of old RT-17, so two car size lanes, with 45mph curves and no real hills. The extra weight and frontal area were great as a training aid; like riding uphill both ways.
Same with your anecdotal 'Danger-Dad' Anyone who can pull a trailer at 27 mph is not any one i'd want to mess with. But you and your riding group apparently videoed him, then chased him down and berated him for the error of his ways? Chapeau to you, sir.

Both of my kids, from ~3-5 liked the bumpy stuff, so i hitched up to the XC bike and took them on trail, too. You're only going to be able to go but so fast, when you're trying to thread a 32-inch wide Chariot CX-2 through the trees, and any trail that's wide enough to go fast, is probably not that technical. And, if being buckled into a 5-point harness, inside an aluminum-tube frame isn't a safe enough place for the kiddo to sit, then you probably shouldn't have them outside at all.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 03-02-20, 08:40 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
In the today's New York Times, in an op-ed about Coronovirus in Milan of all things.

A picture of Piazza del Duomo caught my eye:

Shops in Milan’s city center last Tuesday. Andrea Mantovani for The New York Times

Now normal people take pictures of the Cathedral off frame. But these are not normal times.

Normal people wouldn't notice the BikeMi bikeshare bikes, but then again I'm not normal.

Electric bicycle with child seat

Bravo, Milano!

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-02-20 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-02-20, 12:29 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
I did a lot of stuff when I was a young Dad....young being the key word, synonymous with "dumb". Now as a Grandpa with two seriously beautiful granddaughters under the age of three....I wouldn't put either of them on any of my bikes in any form or fashion. I'd kill myself if anything happened to them and I think the risk of even a fall over in a parking lot too is too great.
No offense to the OP...just my feelings.
Old 03-02-20, 01:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by smoore
I did a lot of stuff when I was a young Dad....young being the key word, synonymous with "dumb". Now as a Grandpa with two seriously beautiful granddaughters under the age of three....I wouldn't put either of them on any of my bikes in any form or fashion. I'd kill myself if anything happened to them and I think the risk of even a fall over in a parking lot too is too great.
No offense to the OP...just my feelings.

Subjective assessments of risk are just that. I'm pretty sure the kind of riding I did with my kids when they were less than 3 was statistically far less likely to result in serious injury or death than driving at highway speeds with kids in the car seats.

If you look at statistics on the number of children being injured in trailers and bike seats, it's really a small number, and the injuries are mostly minor. The most severe, not surprisingly, involve cars. In that regard, it's pretty much the same as being a pedestrian.
Old 03-09-20, 11:32 AM
vdoshi88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you so much for such variety of instructions and help in deciding how I should proceed. After reading all of this, I am tempted to go with a hybrid/city cruiser for the front carrier and keep the R bike for serious biking. The plan is to only do 'right around the neighborhood, on a bike path' with the son and do serious rides separately as I definitely agree that you can't mix the two.

I will keep you posted once I fix this up and see how much our son enjoys it. Thank you so much for such detailed explanations and help.
Likes For vdoshi88:
Old 03-10-20, 07:10 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Workcycles Fr8. Spend a few minutes looking at what a bike looks like when designed and refined for carrying children. You don’t absolutely need a bike so perfectly adapted to the task, they do exist. They do ride enormously better than slapdash contrivances.
Old 03-10-20, 07:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 63rickert
Workcycles Fr8. Spend a few minutes looking at what a bike looks like when designed and refined for carrying children. You don’t absolutely need a bike so perfectly adapted to the task, they do exist. They do ride enormously better than slapdash contrivances.
For carrying a single small child, I think I did better with my "sladash contrivances". That's wildly overbuilt for that purpose.

Might be different if I had been hauling more than one kid or a kid plus freight.
Old 03-10-20, 03:53 PM
63rickert

For carrying a single small child, I think I did better with my "sladash contrivances". That's wildly overbuilt for that purpose.

Might be different if I had been hauling more than one kid or a kid plus freight.
Absolutely it is overbuilt. Before he started Workcycles, Henry Cutler was fishing 1920s and 1930s bikes out of the canals in Amsterdam. They were still fixable and useful. Left him with a different perspective.

I haven’t tried one with a small child but have done testride with small 100# adult on the front rack. The stability and ease are noteworthy. There’s a difference between “I think this might work well enough” and built for purpose.
Old 03-10-20, 09:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
Seriously?
I'm not talking about balance or what feels right. Lots unexpected things can happen riding a bike. Why on earth would you expose your infant to those risks, and for what? So you can say you rode today. Wow
Why would you expose the sack of flour to that???? That could make a delicious loaf of bread some day WHY WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE BAGUETTES?!?!
Old 03-10-20, 09:29 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
This child seemed to have no problem. I took this in Dalian, China.

Old 03-11-20, 07:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Absolutely it is overbuilt. Before he started Workcycles, Henry Cutler was fishing 1920s and 1930s bikes out of the canals in Amsterdam. They were still fixable and useful. Left him with a different perspective.

I haven’t tried one with a small child but have done testride with small 100# adult on the front rack. The stability and ease are noteworthy. There’s a difference between “I think this might work well enough” and built for purpose.
Where you go off the beam is describing equipping a bike with proper carrying seats and trailers as being "slapdash" and thinking that those of us who have done this only got to the "I think this might work well enough" level. I've ridden with toddlers in a rear seat and a trailer on hybrids. They didn't work "well enough", they worked beautifully. I never had any issue with control, braking or balance.

A bike that's built to carry 250 kg is not "built for purpose" to carry one small child. and I don't think OP was asking for recommendations on putting a 100 pound child on their bike. That's a totally different issue.
Old 03-11-20, 10:57 AM
63rickert

Where you go off the beam is describing equipping a bike with proper carrying seats and trailers as being "slapdash" and thinking that those of us who have done this only got to the "I think this might work well enough" level. I've ridden with toddlers in a rear seat and a trailer on hybrids. They didn't work "well enough", they worked beautifully. I never had any issue with control, braking or balance.

A bike that's built to carry 250 kg is not "built for purpose" to carry one small child. and I don't think OP was asking for recommendations on putting a 100 pound child on their bike. That's a totally different issue.
When I worked at the bike shop we were named co-respondents in three different PI cases involving child carriers. I have personally witnessed a child launched from a child carrier and was witness for plaintiff. No idea how many broken carriers I have seen. Lots. No idea how many broken and damaged frames seen due to child carriers. Lots. Most home mechanics can’t bolt on a kickstand without damaging the chainstays. Installing a child carrier is a great deal more complex and consequential than a kickstand. Did you ever work on other people’s bikes? Kickstands basically always crush the chainstays. Home mechanics can get that one wrong when their framebuilder gave them a dedicated chainstay plate.

Of course some of us are omnicompetent. Some of us can get it right every time without thinking about it.

Many different possible bike designs allow for carrying substantial loads. Standard bikes really don’t carry much. Ten pounds of groceries is enough to make the bike handle different. Not unsafe, noticeably different. Few standard bikes work well at all with over twenty pounds. I know lots of people carry much more and never give it a thought, never have a problem. If you can do it on a standard bike and not even notice, that’s you, you are different.

OP started by talking about carrying a child on a criterium race bike. Possible. Possibly someone could ride around the world on a track bike carrying a child in their arms. Bad idea for most of us.

Half the posters on these forums are afraid of their shadow and imagine they are risking life and limb every time they balance on two wheels. Another big contingent is ready to insist that it is all good. Doesn’t matter what is recommended or contemplated, it is all good. Good for who?
Old 03-11-20, 11:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

When I worked at the bike shop we were named co-respondents in three different PI cases involving child carriers. I have personally witnessed a child launched from a child carrier and was witness for plaintiff. No idea how many broken carriers I have seen. Lots. No idea how many broken and damaged frames seen due to child carriers. Lots. Most home mechanics can’t bolt on a kickstand without damaging the chainstays. Installing a child carrier is a great deal more complex and consequential than a kickstand. Did you ever work on other people’s bikes? Kickstands basically always crush the chainstays. Home mechanics can get that one wrong when their framebuilder gave them a dedicated chainstay plate.

Of course some of us are omnicompetent. Some of us can get it right every time without thinking about it.

Many different possible bike designs allow for carrying substantial loads. Standard bikes really don’t carry much. Ten pounds of groceries is enough to make the bike handle different. Not unsafe, noticeably different. Few standard bikes work well at all with over twenty pounds. I know lots of people carry much more and never give it a thought, never have a problem. If you can do it on a standard bike and not even notice, that’s you, you are different.

OP started by talking about carrying a child on a criterium race bike. Possible. Possibly someone could ride around the world on a track bike carrying a child in their arms. Bad idea for most of us.

Half the posters on these forums are afraid of their shadow and imagine they are risking life and limb every time they balance on two wheels. Another big contingent is ready to insist that it is all good. Doesn’t matter what is recommended or contemplated, it is all good. Good for who?

Basically, you just recommended a tanker truck to carry a gallon of milk.
Old 03-11-20, 02:04 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

My black MIELE UNO SL that I had converted to a touring bike setup by having the items needed for cantilever brakes brazed on is a STANDARD frame bicycle. I carry a lot of stuff that weighs a lot more than ten pounds on it and don't notice much difference if any in handling. That includs the time I brought home a dehumidifier on this bicycle.

If I was going to use a bicycle to carry a child on the front of it I'd use an MTB and possibly a Wee-Ride child seat. The child can see ahead and that reduces a child's squirming around, and the rider's arms help protect the child in the advent of a spill as do the wide handlebar of an MTB or hybrid bicycle.

Likes For Miele Man: