Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

I Ordered an Ibex

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

I Ordered an Ibex

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-16, 12:43 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
I Ordered an Ibex

I have been wanting a decent full suspension MTB for a while. I am not a serious mountain bike rider, as there just aren't many places around here to ride. I do make a trip out west almost every year where having an MTB with full suspension will be easier on my old back than my current hardtail. I don't mind paying good money for something that will get a lot of use, but given how little I ride an MTB, I just couldn't bear to have a $2000 wall hanger. I had looked at some closeout bikes for about $1400, but even at that price point I just didn't feel like the amount of use it would see would be worth the expense. I looked at Bikes Direct full suspension bikes, and even with them I'd have to spend over $1200 to get into a bike with good quality parts. I'd just about decided I'd never have anything more than my pretty good Giant XTC hardtail with SRAM X7 when I remembered Ibex used to get a good bit of play in the mail order bike market. So I checked out their website.

I zeroed in on the Ibex Asta Expert. https://ibexbikes.com/products/index.asp?product_key=12. The spec is solid. The spec for the price is very good. A mix of X7 and X9 switch gear, FSA Crank, WTB wheels, Rock Shox fork and shock and Avid elixir brakes. Nothing bottom end on the list. $700 gets you a hardtail 29er with an RST fork and Acera/Alivio grade components and Alex rims. I raced MTB back when suspension forks first came out. I won races on rigid forks while most folks were riding suspension. My reason for mentioning that is that I don't feel like I need the latest and greatest to get enjoyment out of riding. I know 27.5 and 29ers are superior to 26, but at $700 for parts spec that is comparable to what you see on $1500 bikes with 26" being the only penalty, I thought why not? I made a few calls to the company, both of which were answered promptly, politely and my questions answered satisfactorily. I ordered late Wednesday evening. I was immediately emailed a payment confirmation. Yesterday I received an email that said the bike would be shipped today.

Just thought some of you may be interested. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 05-13-16 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-13-16, 01:14 PM
tk1971

Bikes: Nishiki Prestige, Reign, IH Warrior, Rockhopper, Brompton, Q-Bike, Forever, Free-Ride, Dahon, Merckx Premium, Litespeed Teramo, Raleigh MTi 1000, Motobecane Fly Ti, OnOne 456, Kona Unit, Transition TransAM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A 29 lbs full suspension bike built for XC with an inclination towards light AM for $699.

Decent fork (Reba RL 100mm), and OK components for everything else. I'd say that's a smoking deal.

Can't wait to read your ride report. Remember to post that with plenty of pictures.
Old 05-13-16, 02:16 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I think Ibex went out of business years ago. Did somebody revive the name and maybe buy their old left over stock? Looks like that bike is old stock with the 9 speed setup and straight steerer headtube and reba fork. Nothing wrong with that especially for that price.
Old 05-13-16, 08:00 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Canker
I think Ibex went out of business years ago. Did somebody revive the name and maybe buy their old left over stock? Looks like that bike is old stock with the 9 speed setup and straight steerer headtube and reba fork. Nothing wrong with that especially for that price.
I don't know if they went out of business. They certainly fell off the radar. Their presence now isn't nearly what it used to be. I can live with 9 speed. I even have some SRAM 9 speed spare parts in the attic. I'll post pics and give a detailed a report as I can.
Old 05-14-16, 05:58 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Ride It,,just ride it,,
Don't get all into the details of the bike, It looks like a great deal. So all you have to do now is ride...

If you choose to Improve your mountain biking performance Just remember the secret, 'It ain't the bike, It's the engine'

My first Hard tail was 30 pounds, $600,, Loosing 5 pounds off the bike would have cost me what I paid for the bike.
I took 27 pounds off me for free
Old 05-14-16, 10:31 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
That's definitely an ~2010-era bike in terms of geometry and components. At the same time, that's a very solid spec list and an incredible price point. You have trouble finding bikes with similar specs on my local CL for less than $1500...Ride the hell out it!
Old 05-17-16, 05:41 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

The bike arrived signature required today. FedEx didn't mangle it. It was packaged much like every other mail order bike I have set up. Which is to say it was packaged very well. It took about an hour to set it up. I had to lower the front derailleur about a half inch. Otherwise it was tighten stem, inflate tires, insert pedals, insert seat/seatpost assembly and ready to ride. There were no blemishes, scratches or defects. The paint is of good quality. The welds are nice. I must say for $699 it is a ridiculous good deal. It came with clipless pedals. I put some platforms on it for the shakedown cruise. I'll end up putting Crank Brothers pedals on it. The saddle is surprisingly good. I may keep it. I will go with handlebars that have a bit more rise and sweep. I don't really know what else to say other than at this point I would highly recommend the bike. In quality it compares out very well with my Giant hardtail that I paid more for 10 years ago.

Oh, and for a little serendipity, it came with touch-up paint, a multi-tool and a stout pedal wrench. No other mail order company I have dealt with had those little extras.
Old 05-17-16, 06:04 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I should add that with the pedals in size large it weighs 28.8 pounds.
Old 05-19-16, 12:03 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
That rascal resembles a 26" Santa Cruz Blur! Very nice!
Old 05-19-16, 11:11 AM
tk1971

Bikes: Nishiki Prestige, Reign, IH Warrior, Rockhopper, Brompton, Q-Bike, Forever, Free-Ride, Dahon, Merckx Premium, Litespeed Teramo, Raleigh MTi 1000, Motobecane Fly Ti, OnOne 456, Kona Unit, Transition TransAM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a great deal. Enjoy it.
Old 06-01-16, 08:03 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I put my signature on it. I dressed the MTB up with a little color. The changes from stock are a Core stem that is 30MM shorter. A Selle SMP seatPanasonic tires that are 2.1 vs the 2.3. A Syncros carbon bar that is lighter and has more rise and sweep and some grippier grips. A quick spin around the block tells me that it's going to be a more comfy riding position but a more lively ride. I have the suspension set very stiff right now, so I can soften things up a bit.

Old 06-01-16, 08:06 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I have done a few trail rides with it now and absolutely thrilled with it. Anyone considering one should get one before they are gone. This is pre-mod.
Old 08-25-16, 04:43 PM
PDH2365

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was wondering if you were still enjoying your IBEX, I'm looking at the Astra Pro,