Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Should I clear coat or not?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-20, 11:07 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts

Not sure what forum to post this in. I have painted several frames in the past. I just did this Bridgestone. Stripped to bare metal, primer, paint. It was painted with Rustoleum Cherry gloss protective enamel. Came out very good. Then I put on some decals. In the past I had then put a clear coat on. This looks so nice I'm afraid that a clear coat may not look as nice. My skills are only so good and I can screw things up worse than most. But I think I should clear coat to cover the decals.to protect them. Your thoughts?

Likes For Jicafold:
Old 03-28-20, 11:26 AM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Yes, I would definitely clear coat. it will protect the paint and decals. You did a great job on the paint and decals, and your skill will follow in the clear coating.
Likes For hrdknox1:
Old 03-28-20, 11:59 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Super duper duper super nice job!!!!!

I painted a frame and have it on the back burner for a build. I've moved it around a few times storing it and had the chain attached to it. The dings are adding up quickly. It was my first attempt so I didn't know any better. I should've clear coated.

My gosh that's a beautiful job you did. I hear you about not wanting to screw it up but my guess is like the previous guy said, it'll stay looking beautiful longer if you clear coat it.
Old 03-28-20, 12:13 PM
Jicafold

Sigh. I knew that was the answer all along. I just needed someone to say it. I will just need to be very careful. Thank you for your advice
Old 03-28-20, 12:17 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

I totally get where you're coming from. It's like you wanna leave well enough alone. It does look sooooo good. My guess is clear coat will only make it look better though. You did so good so far. You know what you're doing.
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 03-28-20, 12:21 PM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Looks fantastic so far. Neeeeed pics when you've clear coated it.
Likes For JayKay3000:
Old 03-28-20, 05:17 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
Sigh. I knew that was the answer all along. I just needed someone to say it. I will just need to be very careful. Thank you for your advice

Looks awesome. Good luck.
Old 03-28-20, 07:08 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
awesome job....absolutely clear that beautiful frame!!!
Old 03-28-20, 07:18 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Things to consider

1. Dings through the clear coat can't be repaired easily.
  2. Any imperfections in your color coat are magnified under the clear coat.
  3. Did you prep the color coat to accept a clear coat? You'll have some wet sanding in your future if you want a good bond.
If you planned a clear coat, go for it. Take your time so your efforts aren't wasted.
Old 03-28-20, 08:22 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
  1. Dings through the clear coat can't be repaired easily.
  2. Any imperfections in your color coat are magnified under the clear coat.
  3. Did you prep the color coat to accept a clear coat? You'll have some wet sanding in your future if you want a good bond.
If you planned a clear coat, go for it. Take your time so your efforts aren't wasted.
Yeah, I agree. If I were going to clear coat, I would have wet sanded before adding the stickers. The stickers will make it difficult to wet sand. If you don't wet sand, the results won't be so good. I would be inclined to leave it as is now that the stickers are on.
Old 03-28-20, 08:56 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
I painted a carbon fork with the same paint last week. It looked amazing and the clear coat screwed it up. It caused the paint to raise up and look like cracked dry mud underneath.

I was told that it was because I didn't give it enough time to cure, 24 hours instead of 48+

I stripped it down and did it again. This time it got a week to dry.

I tried it on a test piece,a scrap of tape that had been over sprayed, it looked good. Once the clear coat hit the fork though, paint lifting up, ripples, cracks. That was today. I'm going to let it dry overnight and see in the morning, but I bet that I'll end up stripping the fork a second time and starting over.

I've got the same paint as you but a krylon clear coat. They are obviously not compatible.

The ****ty thing is, after wet sanding with 3000 grit and lots of love with polishing compound, it looked great. It would totally have been great to just stop there and install it on the bike.

If you clear coat, find a pipe and paint it as a test. Like a nice big thing to test on. Something that you can really examine in the sunlight.
Old 03-28-20, 09:52 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
You did a great job! Looks awesome. Word of caution though...years ago a frame that I striped and painted with a "rattle can" came out looking nice...initially. Two-tone...one of the colors was white. I decided to spary a clear-coat and somehow once it dried...on the white it took on a slight greenish hue. Maybe I used cheap (or the cheapest) clear coat spray...I dunno. But I'm just saying pay for the good stuff so that it doesn't FUBAR the nice job you've done so far.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 03-28-20 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-30-20, 09:20 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by phughes
Yeah, I agree. If I were going to clear coat, I would have wet sanded before adding the stickers. The stickers will make it difficult to wet sand. If you don't wet sand, the results won't be so good. I would be inclined to leave it as is now that the stickers are on.
Should have done that. I will wet sand around the decals.
Old 04-02-20, 11:02 AM
3S1M

Now I'm curious. What did you end up doing??
Old 04-03-20, 09:15 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Not sure if the OP has painted this yet but if I can still offer some advice I'd say yes to clear coat but use a 2 pack system like SprayMax 2k. At $20 a can it's not cheap but it's way more durable than usual clear coat paints.

Last edited by bluehills3149; 04-03-20 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-03-20, 09:31 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
My opinion only!! Too many things can go wrong. Hopefully you wet sanded before putting on the decals so just wax it. I've had cracking, lifting and messed up decals from clear coat. Yeah, clear coat provides more protection but a nice wax will help with less chance of something going wrong.
Old 04-07-20, 09:21 AM
3S1M

Well I apologize for giving bad advice. I didn't realize clearcoating could pose so many problems. I thought it was just more durable with it on.
Old 04-07-20, 12:37 PM
Jicafold

Still waiting to clear coat. I buggered up one of the decals on the other side. So I'm waiting for a replacement. I used that 2K Spray Max once before. Eh...it's ok.
Old 04-07-20, 02:51 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
From my experience with clearcoating over the years, if the base coat and clear coat are not from the same manufacturer or have been tested by someone first, you are taking a BIG gamble. Typically it looks like orange peel or crinkle coat under the clear. Decals are a whole separate ball of wax. The decal maker can usually tell you what type of paint NOT to use, but cannot guarantee any untested combinations. Lacquer is a no-no with many wet transfer decals. They will instantly craze.

I have found Rustoleums are particularly difficult as are most rattlecan paints unless from the same maker. Cheap clearcoats often yellow under UV of the sun and can yellow in the bottle or can from age..

Also with a successful trial and error with clearcoat (or any high-gloss paint), a big old bug named Murphy will often land right on the perfect surface.
Old 04-07-20, 03:12 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I
I've got the same paint as you but a krylon clear coat. They are obviously not compatible.
It's usually an enamel vs laquer thing, but there is a lot of proprietary stuff out there. Always test for comparability on sometihng.... I usually try on a soda or beer can.
Without clear coat decals will last until the first time you try to clean the bike, if you're anything l like me. (I am not neurotically careful).
As far as wet sanding clearcoat over the decals, Just do a couple of extra light passes over it, if you're not sure about the coverage... wet sanding with 1200 and finer grades won't remove too much, too quickly if you're careful and pay attention...

Wet polished clearcoat with 2500 grit (taken on a somewhat overcast day, under overhanging roof)

4 years later, last ride of 2019 December 23. Different wheels, saddle and brake cables, but still glossy.

Last edited by Last ride 76; 04-07-20 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-07-20, 03:20 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by bluehills3149
Not sure if the OP has painted this yet but if I can still offer some advice I'd say yes to clear coat but use a 2 pack system like SprayMax 2k. At $20 a can it's not cheap but it's way more durable than usual clear coat paints.
What types of paint have you applied it over? By brand and specific paint name please... I have some but have not tried it yet. Thanks, Eric
Old 04-07-20, 03:22 PM
mwat

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Clear coat and protect with wax. Nice job!