Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Converting from Mechanical to Di2

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-17, 09:41 AM
hfeldma1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for advise before I make my purchase. I have a 2014 Cervelo (11 spd) that is Di2 ready. I do most of my own bike repairs would like to tackle doing this upgrade myself. Any words of wisdom?

I'm thinking of purchasing an internal gearset, only think I can think of I still need to purchase would be grommets?

Last edited by hfeldma1; 03-05-17 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-05-17, 09:54 AM
Larry77

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Focus Izalco, Focus Mares CX, BMC GF02, Giant VT3 MTB (upgraded), Felt Brougham SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hardest part is running the wires through the frame. I used the Parktool IR-1 kit but others use just a shifter cable and ferrule. You can get creative if you want and move the Junction-A to a less conspicuous location like under the seat but that involves figuring out a way to get the wire into the seat post--I just went with the standard locations. When you select the wire lengths make sure to give yourself a little extra length, you can always stuff any excess into the frame but you can't make the wire longer :-)

When I built my first Di2 I had to have the LBS program it (didn't want to buy the module myself) when I had it put together, but with my current build and the newer Di2 parts I'm hoping to be able to do it myself with the app.

While I love my Di2 if you already have 11-speed you are spending a lot of money for a very minor upgrade. I could see doing it if you wanted to use your take-off parts for another frame...
Old 03-05-17, 02:58 PM
hfeldma1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the words of wisdom, I was told my bike already had the cable guide so the wire should just push through, but I would guess it wouldn't hurt to use the PartTool IR cables. Yes I already have the 6800 gearset on the bike, but the appeal to me is the 6870 is smoother and you won't miss a shift. The friends of my who have the Di2 claim they never will go back to Mechanical shifter again.