Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Cyclists obeying stop signs: Car drivers think it's hilarious. (rant/long post)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 11:46 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

I don't read or post here very much, so apologies if this has been discussed.

I live in a midwest college town whose police don't give a crap about enforcing traffic rules and the cyclists (mostly college students) ride their bikes the way they walk around campus: in whatever way is most convenient for them, and as if automobiles, even on roads, didn't exist (they genuinely don't seem to care whether they live or die; it's really weird, but maybe it's just one of those developmental/brain science type of things). The students ride up and down streets and sidewalks in any direction they desire.

Now, I'm not writing to complain about /them/. They are merely a product of (apparently very poor quality driver's education) and a complete lack of socialization about how to use a vehicle (what a bike is under state law), which includes the total ignorance of traffic law and safety for cyclists by our city police (we've had a couple of deaths since I've lived here of cyclists doing things like going the wrong way down a one-way street and getting smucked by a truck turning into the lane, but police NEVER enforce traffic rules for cyclists).

I would describe myself as a raging vehicular cyclist with a very large and puritanical chip on his shoulder. I learned the rights and responsibilities of cycling under our state law when I was in driver's ed in high school. And, frankly, it's not that hard.

For example, if you see a stop sign, stop. First person to the intersection goes first. A simple rule that makes traffic flow smoothly. When I'm driving my car, the only time this causes a problem is when someone doesn't see the other car (or is just a jerk, or is drunk), or everyone arrives at the same time. We've all been there. But, face it, MOST of the time, the fact that we all know and follow the same simple rules allows us all to proceed relatively without question, and certainly without need for elaborate additional communication (beyond the occasional nod and wave). The information encoded in the rules obviates the need for such communication.

HOWEVER!!!!! Take the exact same situation. Same drivers. The first driver, in his or her ICE automobile, arrives at a four-way stop as a second vehicle operator approaches the intersection. There is a good, solid, 2-4 second interval before the second vehicle reaches the intersection. Normally, it would be beyond clear to either driver or any observer what should happen next. The second vehicle should come to a stop. At exactly that moment, or slightly after, and perhaps even well before, the first driver would proceed through the intersection, secure in the knowledge that mutual understanding of the rules, a general expectation that others will adhere to these rules, and signs that both are intent on following the rules (e.g., the first driver's being stopped and the second's rapidly decelerating) means that everyone understands his role in the system.

Now, it's not like this behavior is mere good manners or even an integral social norm, though it is both. It's the FRIGGING LAW, AND EVERYBODY KNOWS IT!

BUT WAIT!!!!! What if the second vehicle is a bicycle? The whole thing goes to hell!!!!! Here's what frequently happens to me. I mean, every single day, sometimes more than one time on the same journey across town.

The first vehicle reaches the intersection, clearly first, as described above. But they do not proceed through the intersection, though I am still a quarter of a block away and rapidly decelerating. They wait. And wait. And you can't blame them, I guess. Many cyclists blow through intersections if cars are stopped. I would never blame a cyclist for some of the real aggressive automobile driver behavior--which is sometimes even murderous (and typically, it seems, neither acknowledged or avenged by the law)--that happens out there. But let's face it, many cyclists act as if they are first class citizens and everyone else is an annoyance. I would be cautious if I were the driver, too. You are wise to treat cyclists like unknown wild animals, because you can't predict their behavior. And most people don't /want/ to flatten a cyclist, at least in order to avoid scratching the chrome on their truck. I understand this.

HOWEVER!!!! Back to my story. So the cyclist (me) approaches the intersection (let's say it's a four-way stop sign-type intersection), decelerating, and I come to a crisp stop right before the crosswalk marker, and I put my right foot down on the ground. I--believing that I am a vehicle operator with the same rights and responsibilities as an automobile driver (except for a few exceptions spelled out clearly in the law), because, well, I AM--expect the driver to treat me that same way, and the interaction to proceed as if we were both in cars. You know, according to the rules that we all so well and intuitively understand.

Now, here is the point of this endless post: Sometimes (somewhat frequently, as I mentioned), this scenario plays out like this:

1. I come to a stop, as described, and I look the driver in the eyes, and I wait to see what he or she is going to do. I fully expect that he or she will proceed into the intersection (and, often, this happens). I get a great feeling of validation when this occurs. It's the feeling you get when you're being treated like an equal, and you are making your contribution, and others are giving you your due. It's a feeling of respect--both for you and for the rules by which we all agree to live. It's the feeling of security you get when you feel that the institutions of society are functioning, and there is a balance of fair play, mutual rights and responsibilities, and equity. It is a feeling of justice. It is an essential experience of citizenship. Plus I'm a sort of greenie social democrat type, and we get off on that stuff.

2. But in this situation, the driver does not proceed. Instead, he or she just looks at me for a second. I'm sure he or she is wondering one of two things: "How will this creature behave? Should I go?" or "Why is he stopping?"--the latter is the thought of someone who's experience of mutualism is so degraded that he or she genuinely doesn't expect others to follow any of the rules that he or she follows. Meanwhile, I am thinking. "GO, DAMMIT! DON'T YOU KNOW HOW TO OPERATE A STOP SIGN? WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU SITTING THERE STARING AT ME FOR?" (In my thoughts, I end whole sentences with prepositions.)

3. Then the most extraordinary thing happens, the event that is the point of this entire post: The driver of the car WAVES HIS OR HER HAND TO INVITE ME TO CROSS THE INTERSECTION FIRST.

WHY****************************************************************************************************************************************************************???

THIS DRIVES ME UP A BRICK WALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I hadn't wanted to stop, I would not have done so. There's no point in my going first, now, I'm already stopped. It takes effort of the will to stop. Who would not rather maintain his or her momentum and not have to re-accelerate his or her 60-lb electroforged Schwinn Speedster to cruising speed again. I certainly don't relish it. And it's a lot more difficult for me to accelerate than for you. All you do is gently press the gas pedal.

By stopping, I MADE A FRIGGING SACRIFICE to help maintain this system that keeps us all safe, and that reinforces the bonds of mutual obligation with each iteration, rebuilding our society afresh. I"M FOLLOWING THE RULES. THE RULES THAT BOTH YOU AND I KNOW APPLY TO BOTH OF US. THE LEAST THING YOU COULD DO FOR ME IS TO HONOR MY EFFORT BY FOLLOWING THE SAME RULES!

WHAT THE BLEEDING HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!

4. I respond to this bizarre and unwarranted offer consistently by shaking my head firmly (and maybe a bit theatrically) "NO." As I'm sure you can tell, I am always angry at this part of the interaction. Then I point to the driver. Often I also say, "No. You go first." Maybe sometimes I smile, like when the driver is an attractive woman--I'm only (a heterosexual) human (male). However, usually, I'm firm, like one must be when dealing with a child.

5. Now, here's the part of the story that gives this post its title, and it's the strangest part to me. Very often, like, 60% of the time or more, the driver responds with a big smile (even when--or maybe because--I use my meanest, sternest "No. You."). The smile is often accompanied by laughter. I'm talking about great cheer, here. Good tidings of great joy, etc.

THESE PEOPLE THINK IT IS COMPLETELY HILARIOUS THAT I SHOULD EXPECT THEM TO ENTER THE INTERSECTION FIRST WHEN THEY DID IN FACT REACH THE INTERSECTION FIRST.

This happens to me almost every day.

I've read somewhere that evolutionarily, laughter is a social symbol that a perceived threat has turned out to be insubstantial. Perhaps they are responding to my not running through the intersection--laughing, because, in fact, the social order is still intact. The threat of disorder caused by the wild cyclist has receded. Let us rejoice together.

Thoughts? Discuss.

Eric

Last edited by Roll-Monroe-Co; 08-19-09 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Wow. I feel so much better having gotten that off of my chest. I have been ruminating about it for months, maybe years.
Old 08-19-09, 11:48 PM
Skones MickLoud
This steel horse I ride

Bikes: 1980something Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tl;dr?
Old 08-19-09, 11:52 PM
Scheherezade 
12mph+ commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are insane. Putting my foot down and coming to a complete stop at every stop sign is a huge waste of time/energy, and isn't necessary to give right of way to motorists. If I see a pensive motorist up ahead at an intersection, I'll wave he/she through before I end get to the intersection. That way, no one is held up, and I can comfortably roll through the intersection safely at 10mph.

BTW, where do you go to school?
Old 08-19-09, 11:58 PM
n2health

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do the same thing as the OP... even with roller blades. People look at me strange but when i first started blading back in 87 the cops told me i was the first one on the block and i better stop at every stop sign, stop light etc. And I did even at the bottom of a steep incline. A drag? Yes, of course. But I tell you what served me well though many times. Especially one time when i was blading in orange county, CA and came down this long, steep hill only to have a busy intersection at the very bottom. Luckily i knew how to stop in a sharp second flat........ (sounded like a wreck waiting to happen.. pretty funny... but i stopped on the dime) I was wondering at the time why people were staring at me with their eyes wide open when cruising like a mad lady down the hill... when i got to the bottom i understood.. ugh. Better safe than sorry, in my opinion.
Old 08-20-09, 12:09 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
If you track stand at the stop sign it confuses them even more. They just sit there and stare, like they're too stunned to wave you through.
Old 08-20-09, 12:28 AM
Totaled108
Truck Driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the way you think Roll... We need more of you in the world. I have the great honor of riding my bike to work then hopping in a tractor trailer and driving all around the city. So I get to see the two extremes of vehicle size and the total lack of common sense and kindness we give each other when everyone is on foot face to face.
Old 08-20-09, 02:07 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
this is a fairly common theme in A&S. At a 4-way, I might go ahead. If a motorist is yielding their right of way improperly, I never go. I usually look at my feet or twiddle my thumbs. Improperly yielding the right of way was endemic in rural Pennsylvania at one time, it's still relatively common.

I do a track stand at stop signs most of the time. Motorists don't have to open the door and put their foot down to stop, neither do I.
Old 08-20-09, 05:59 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Same thing happens to me. If there is traffic present, I stop completely, foot down. If I can't see any cars at all, I kill all my momentum, get one foot unclipped, come to pretty much a trackstand for an instant, then proceed.

When I stop sometimes I have a hell of a time making the driver with the right-of-way take it. I don't back down from it though; not following right-of-way rules (giving a cyclist ROW when they don't have it) is dangerous as hell to cyclists.
Old 08-20-09, 06:09 AM
JoeSoMD
Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well... I am one of those cagers that waves cyclists through an intersection... and I do it for a couple of reasons... one of which is to try to protect the cyclist... I am of the opinion that they are disadvantaged due to the fact that they don't have a cage around them and anything I can do to protect them soothes my conscience. Right or wrong that is what I think and do. The second reason is that I don't trust the cyclist, most I see blow through traffic controls (just like I do when I bicycle commute), and I'd rather get them off of my "things I have to deal with while driving a car plate" because if I'm involved in an accident with them they will lose big time and I'll feel like crap forever.
Old 08-20-09, 06:16 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co
I don't read or post here very much, so apologies if this has been discussed.
Ad bloody nauseam. There's a reason why it's generally suggested to read forums before you post to them: so that you'll avoid gaffes like posting another version of the same dead horse, for example.

Thoughts? Discuss.
Discuss in A&S, please. Commuters are pragmatists; thus, the "you must obey the exact letter of every traffic regulation" argument smacks of religious fanaticism divorced from real world considerations here.
Old 08-20-09, 06:24 AM
Fremdchen

Bikes: 2007 Fuji hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeSoMD
Well... I am one of those cagers that waves cyclists through an intersection... and I do it for a couple of reasons... one of which is to try to protect the cyclist... I am of the opinion that they are disadvantaged due to the fact that they don't have a cage around them and anything I can do to protect them soothes my conscience. Right or wrong that is what I think and do. The second reason is that I don't trust the cyclist, most I see blow through traffic controls (just like I do when I bicycle commute), and I'd rather get them off of my "things I have to deal with while driving a car plate" because if I'm involved in an accident with them they will lose big time and I'll feel like crap forever.
Dude... don't unexpectedly yield your right of way. It causes more problems than it solves. Behave in a predictable manner!
Old 08-20-09, 06:46 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Anyone have the Cliff Notes version of this post?
Old 08-20-09, 07:07 AM
Scheherezade 
12mph+ commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oakback
They're probably laughing because you're getting so worked up and angry.

cliffs:
4-way stop
car gets there first, bike gets there second
car waves cyclist through
cyclist says "no, you go"
car driver laughs
cyclist gets all huffy puffy
And, for cliff-cliff notes:
Old 08-20-09, 07:18 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Well... I am one of those cagers that waves cyclists through an intersection... and I do it for a couple of reasons... one of which is to try to protect the cyclist...
Wrongfully giving right-of-way is DANGEROUS to cyclists. Don't do it. There have been several first-hand stories right here on these forums of people who have been hit because some car driver decided to wave a cyclist through an intersection, and some other car driver who didn't see what was going on raced around the stopped driver, assuming they were having trouble of some kind, or looking at a map or making a call, etc.

I've had people stop right in the middle of a block going straight, with traffic behind them, to try to wave me to turn while I was waiting in a left-turn lane. That's crazy dangerous. I'll unclip and dismount my bike before I'll take an offer like that. Eventually they give up and proceed.
Old 08-20-09, 07:22 AM
rjw_III

Bikes: Schwinn Fastback Elite Endurance Road Bike and custom made BMX - Volume Destroyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have a job as a writer or a politician? That was quite the post...not in a bad way of course. I think a lot of people that don't ride bikes are merely trying to be nice by waving you through and letting you go first. They don't realize that you just caused more work for yourself by trying to obey the law. Another reason is because there are seldom few who do follow the law when they're on a bike, I know I personally don't always stop at a stop sign but I wont just blow through and pray for the best, I'll slow down scan the intersection and if all is clear keep on my way.

ps the cliff notes post was hilarious
Old 08-20-09, 08:38 AM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Originally Posted by Scheherezade
You are insane. Putting my foot down and coming to a complete stop at every stop sign is a huge waste of time/energy, and isn't necessary to give right of way to motorists. If I see a pensive motorist up ahead at an intersection, I'll wave he/she through before I end get to the intersection. That way, no one is held up, and I can comfortably roll through the intersection safely at 10mph.

BTW, where do you go to school?
I don't believe that I am insane, but what insane person does? I might be obnoxious by using every stop sign to make a political point about mutual rights and responsibilities however. And I certainly think more about these issues than other people.

OK. I AM obnoxious.

As I mentioned, traffic is an information system, a semiotic system, that allows us to predict each other's behavior. I'm not sure what's insane about following the spirit and the letter of the law. A "rolling stop" is not a "stop"; it's a "go."

///

Indiana University; but I might be lying to prevent you from running me down the next time you encounter a male cyclist on a Speedster who insists that you proceed into the intersection when you were there first.

BTW, while you view my stopping behavior as a waste of energy, I view it as part of my fitness regimen. It's all about attitude.
Old 08-20-09, 08:44 AM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
If you track stand at the stop sign it confuses them even more. They just sit there and stare, like they're too stunned to wave you through.
This is a hilarious and interesting variant, in that you follow the letter and spirit of the law, while destroying the informational quality of the behavior. Is this a "Lawful Evil" alignment?
Old 08-20-09, 08:49 AM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Yeah, and this is fully understandable (I mean, at least the part about being careful and not making more trouble than you already have).

The question is how we can reduce the uncertainty of the situation and make it safer and smoother for everyone. Clearly my solution would be to bring cyclists into the same system that makes car-car interactions much more smooth.
Old 08-20-09, 08:54 AM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Originally Posted by lil brown bat
Ad bloody nauseam. There's a reason why it's generally suggested to read forums before you post to them: so that you'll avoid gaffes like posting another version of the same dead horse, for example.
Yes, I probably should have read. Alternatively, you were neither required to read nor to reply. Apologies, again, to the horse.

Originally Posted by lil brown bat
Discuss in A&S, please. Commuters are pragmatists; thus, the "you must obey the exact letter of every traffic regulation" argument smacks of religious fanaticism divorced from real world considerations here.
Yes, this is actually an interesting point that I would like to address. However, since you don't want to discuss it, except to attack me, I won't.
Old 08-20-09, 08:55 AM
Roll-Monroe-Co

They're probably laughing because you're getting so worked up and angry.

cliffs:
4-way stop
car gets there first, bike gets there second
car waves cyclist through
cyclist says "no, you go"
car driver laughs
Are you possibly interested in editing my dissertation?
Old 08-20-09, 08:56 AM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Originally Posted by Scheherezade
And, for cliff-cliff notes:
I knew it was an error to have an opinion on an internet message board.

Also, if all I had posted was, "I got all huffy puffy when I came to an intersection," people would think I was a pervert.

Last edited by Roll-Monroe-Co; 08-20-09 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-20-09, 09:03 AM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Originally Posted by rjw_III
Do you have a job as a writer or a politician? That was quite the post...not in a bad way of course. I think a lot of people that don't ride bikes are merely trying to be nice by waving you through and letting you go first. They don't realize that you just caused more work for yourself by trying to obey the law. Another reason is because there are seldom few who do follow the law when they're on a bike, I know I personally don't always stop at a stop sign but I wont just blow through and pray for the best, I'll slow down scan the intersection and if all is clear keep on my way.

ps the cliff notes post was hilarious
Yeah, I'm a Ph.D. student. It's my job to overthink--it balances out all the people who underthink.

Anyway, of course you are right. Most drivers are not conducting an analysis of the consequences of their actions. My point:

Of course the car driver's intention is to be nice. However, I don't understand why I should go first when they would almost never do that for another car. It makes the situation more confusing and dangerous, rather than making it better.

Cliff's please.
Old 08-20-09, 09:06 AM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Stop, then don't look at the driver. Fake like you're checking your cell phone, inspecting your gears (add a frowny face to emphasize your problem), or sip water. Once they see that you aren't even facing them to see their gestures, 99% of the time they go through. I do this when cycling, walking, or when on a motorcycle. It worked every single time, and it only takes a second or two to do.

I also do this because most of the time I can't see their gestures due to the glare on their windshield, and I don't want to confuse things by staring at them.
Yes, but where's the fun if you can't have a self-righteous feeling?

Actually, perhaps you have described the path the Buddha would choose--and one that is heart-healthy to boot.
Old 08-20-09, 09:29 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
1. I come to a stop, as described, and I look the driver in the eyes...
This is your problem Eric! But I can help you. Here is the protocol:

1. While you are still rolling, look them in the eyes and wave them through frantically. If they go, everyone wins (because I don't even slow down for stop signs if the coast is clear). No momentum lost =

2. They do not proceed because they have turned their attention to texting, tuning the radio, or attending to the screaming poop covered brat in the car seat behind them. If they are not even looking, I am probably going through the sign as far away from their bumper as possible, even if that means moving into the vacant oncoming lane. No lost momentum. Again -

3. They do not proceed and are actually LOOKING at me. I roll to a stop, put my foot down and LOOK THE OTHER WAY! Never EVER look at them once you stop! I glance down the cross street in the opposite direction as if looking for the next car coming (even if it is a one way street!). I look at my watch. I keep looking the other way until I hear their engine gun through the sign. I do not give the morons the chance to wave me through. I lost all my momentum, but I totally bedazzled a motorist with my legal action -

4. The motorist is chatting on a cell phone at a 2-way stop. I have the right of way. They ignore my right of way and gun out in front of me. Then, once blocking the street, they see me and slam on the brakes blocking my whole lane of travel. At this point, I either track stand or put my foot on the ground, lift my hand to my ear as if holding an imaginary cell phone. I then take the imaginary cell phone from my ear in a big sweeping arc and pretend to be jamming it up my bum. Then I point to them. =
Old 08-20-09, 09:40 AM
bike4life

Bikes: '05 Lemond Sarthe - Yes! the orange one!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^ lol!

Seriously, I run into this same situation maybe once or twice a week. I use my best judgement every time. If someone waves me through AND it's safe, I proceed through. Don't waste the energy on getting angry, just ride safely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.