Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bigfoot in Sacramento?...More things a helmet protects you from

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 12:45 PM
Californian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've made the investment in cold weather gear and lighting this year and I've been riding after work here in Sacramento on the American River Bike Trail in the darkness each evening. The MiNewt.200 does a great job of keeping the path illuminated, and while the bike trail keeps you far from any cars, my big threat up until now has been deer & bunnies.

Last week was a near full moon, with temps in the high 40's and an occasional rain drop which made for pleasant riding conditions. I was about 10 miles down the trail (in the William Pond area for those familiar with the local area) and had made my turn back for home. There were very few riders out ; I'd only passed about 4 others in the first half hour. I crossed the American River and came to an open area where my peripheral vision caught something not quite right in the field immediately adjacent to the path.

I glanced to my right to see/hear at least 3 figures, clad in black head to toe, stand up from the weeds and start growling and grunting as I passed by at cruising speed. In the same instant they starting throwing things at me...in the moonlight whatever it was appeared lightly colored, and judging by the 2 objects that actually made contact with me, it wasn't full blown rocks. One hit me directly in the groin, the other bounced off my helmet and barely registered (kudos to Bigfoot & Friends on their throwing accuracy .vs a moving target).

I think because of their apparent height and timbre of their voices, I took it all to be a teen/pre-teen prank and didn't feel any anger or fear. I patted myself down thinking it may have been eggs: it was not. I stood and peddaled until the groin pain began to fade and came across a fully lit rider pulled off to the side who gestured to me. She asked if I'd also been assaulted by the Bigfoot Kids and was on the phone with the Park Patrol reporting the incident. She'd mentioned it was the 2nd time this week she'd been shouted at and otherwise attacked and was hoping the Rangers would flush out the attackers as they didn't appear to be getting bored with it.

All things considered, it could have been much worse..especially if they were throwing heavy rocks. I think for this week's evening rides I'll head the opposite direction rather than arm myself with a defensive paint ball gun.

Have you had any non-asphalt confrontations where your helmet kept your skull in working order?
Old 01-04-10, 12:56 PM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No but I should have had my bike helmet on when I crashed into a tree on a snow saucer with my 4 year old granddaughter! Screwed up my shoulder again.
Old 01-04-10, 12:59 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Holy crap! I ride there all the time but this is the first I've heard of it. Were they throwing dirt clods?
Old 01-04-10, 01:00 PM
Keepfiring
Only mostly new

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea I try to avoid the Am. river trail at night, it's a great trail but you come across enough crazies even during the daytime. You heard about the guy who got assaulted by some some kid with a pipe a few months back?

Re: actual helmet protection question: not me, but my roommate got clonked in the helmet with an automatic parking garage gate while riding his commuter into the garage to store in the little bike locker thing. We still give him crap about it.
Old 01-04-10, 01:36 PM
Starchalopakis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Californian
I've made the investment in cold weather gear and lighting this year and I've been riding after work here in Sacramento on the American River Bike Trail in the darkness each evening. The MiNewt.200 does a great job of keeping the path illuminated, and while the bike trail keeps you far from any cars, my big threat up until now has been deer & bunnies.

Last week was a near full moon, with temps in the high 40's and an occasional rain drop which made for pleasant riding conditions. I was about 10 miles down the trail (in the William Pond area for those familiar with the local area) and had made my turn back for home. There were very few riders out ; I'd only passed about 4 others in the first half hour. I crossed the American River and came to an open area where my peripheral vision caught something not quite right in the field immediately adjacent to the path.

I glanced to my right to see/hear at least 3 figures, clad in black head to toe, stand up from the weeds and start growling and grunting as I passed by at cruising speed. In the same instant they starting throwing things at me...in the moonlight whatever it was appeared lightly colored, and judging by the 2 objects that actually made contact with me, it wasn't full blown rocks. One hit me directly in the groin, the other bounced off my helmet and barely registered (kudos to Bigfoot & Friends on their throwing accuracy .vs a moving target).

I think because of their apparent height and timbre of their voices, I took it all to be a teen/pre-teen prank and didn't feel any anger or fear. I patted myself down thinking it may have been eggs: it was not. I stood and peddaled until the groin pain began to fade and came across a fully lit rider pulled off to the side who gestured to me. She asked if I'd also been assaulted by the Bigfoot Kids and was on the phone with the Park Patrol reporting the incident. She'd mentioned it was the 2nd time this week she'd been shouted at and otherwise attacked and was hoping the Rangers would flush out the attackers as they didn't appear to be getting bored with it.

All things considered, it could have been much worse..especially if they were throwing heavy rocks. I think for this week's evening rides I'll head the opposite direction rather than arm myself with a defensive paint ball gun.

Have you had any non-asphalt confrontations where your helmet kept your skull in working order?
Booyakasha!!!!
Old 01-04-10, 01:53 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Needless to say that's very dangerous. If the cops or park rangers don't do something about it quickly, maybe you should take matters into your own hands. Hitting them with a paintball pellet may just be more fun and games for these reckless brats.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-04-10, 01:59 PM
bretgross

Bikes: Zinn road bike, Rockhopper MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad that there's an official record of the incident. The ball is now in the court of the authorities. If they don't take action, and someone is injured, "Larry Parker" is gonna get richer!
Glad you weren't seriously injured.
Old 01-04-10, 04:28 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Do us a favor and report it here: https://www.sacbike.org/hazard/
Old 01-04-10, 04:43 PM
rydaddy
Type 1 Racer

Bikes: A dozen or so.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crazy. I'll have to alert my coworkers who ride home that way.

Originally Posted by caloso
Thanks for posting. Did not know about this.
Old 01-04-10, 06:41 PM
Californian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Thanks for the link. Incident reported.
Old 01-04-10, 09:01 PM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Report it here too: https://www.bfro.net/

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 01-04-10, 09:12 PM
spry

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wait in the woods with your light off,when you hear the kids call the cops.
Glad it was not serious and hope your nutz get better.
Old 01-04-10, 09:23 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JoelS
Report it here too: https://www.bfro.net/
This is all wrong.
Bigfoot is a dude and would never hit a guy with a rock down there.
Old 01-05-10, 10:15 AM
Staarkhand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spry
This is all wrong.
Bigfoot is a dude and would never hit a guy with a rock down there.
True, didn't he get some John Lithgow-administered sensitivity training on the subject?
Old 01-05-10, 10:50 AM
RichinPeoria
175mm crank of love

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What would you carry when you are riding in the forest and are concerned that you will be attacked by Big Foot ?

Im thinking Bear Deterrent Spray ?

Old 01-14-10, 04:10 PM
Keepfiring
Only mostly new

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, you could always ride around with your bear-suit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3CzYw5-qdA