Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

wrist protection

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

wrist protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 04:20 AM
Rocker86

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wrist protection

Hi all,

My husband and I (both over 60 yrs) have gotten a couple of vintage cruiser style bikes, and are riding our local bike trails. What great fun!

We are both musicians, and I'm concerned that in any kind of mishap, deer on the trail etc, a wrist injury could happen -- I've looked at wrist protection on amazon, a lot of it aimed at snowboarding or skateboarding -- does anyone have advice in this area? I don't want to miss out on the enjoyment of riding, but I sure don't want a broken wrist if a fall occurs.

Thanks for any advice!

Jan
Old 08-12-20, 09:22 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Other than wearing bicycle gloves I am not aware of any other things. I am 71 and starting riding a bike before I was 5 and have never hurt a wrist from bike riding. Roger
Old 08-12-20, 10:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Brush guards for motor dirt bikes? falling I got a wrist brace so I kept my wrist straight while a cracked bone healed
(Vet, so VA supplied it)
Medical Supply buy them wear them as protection.. (?)

look into recumbent trikes? wont fall riding them..
Old 08-12-20, 05:13 PM
FREEBIRD1

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Rocker86
Hi all,

My husband and I (both over 60 yrs) have gotten a couple of vintage cruiser style bikes, and are riding our local bike trails. What great fun!

We are both musicians, and I'm concerned that in any kind of mishap, deer on the trail etc, a wrist injury could happen -- I've looked at wrist protection on amazon, a lot of it aimed at snowboarding or skateboarding -- does anyone have advice in this area? I don't want to miss out on the enjoyment of riding, but I sure don't want a broken wrist if a fall occurs.

Thanks for any advice!

Jan

The roller blade gloves have a hard plastic insert to protect the wrist, I also wear the roller blade elbow guards. I've been down in low speed falls and have injured my wrist and elbows, I fell better with these on.
Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 08-17-20, 07:11 AM
Rocker86

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wrist guards

Thanks all for your responses. I did get wrist protectors for skateboarding, they fit great but are just a bit awkward as I'm getting used to riding again. I do think I'll be able to use them as I get more familiar with balance etc.

Also, having read some orthopedic information about skateboarding, the best thing is to not put your hands out in case of a fall, so I keep in mind I would want to tuck my hands in if at all possible.

Happy riding!

Jan
Old 08-22-20, 11:03 AM
LOPOLOYAS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 08-22-20, 11:18 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Best advice is above; DON"T PUT YOUR HANDS OUT IN A FALL.If you keep your hands on the bars their ends and the pedals will hit first, then your shoulder which generally is pretty strong. I've never even gotten sore from one of these falls. Going over the bars is a different animal; then, hope you can roll.
Old 08-22-20, 01:09 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Wrist guards for riding a bike? No,...totally unnecessary, and restricts wrist movement too much. And you're riding a bike, a slow moving BIKE. It's a waste of time,...musician or not.
Old 08-24-20, 05:34 AM
Rocker86

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again all.

There might be something to the idea of just thinking ahead to a potential fall, that the wrist and hands will not be put out to protect oneself. I'm just getting it into my head that I'll land on some other less vulnerable body part. Since we're not trying to ride fast anyway, hopefully a fall won't occur, though we've passed within a few feet of a deer a couple of times.

Gotta say it's the most fun we've had in a long time, Ohio put in a nice bike path and we've been riding various sections. Bikes + sunrise = the best part of the day.
Old 08-26-20, 08:30 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
NO unless you are going to worry about it if you trip when you are out for a walk. Roger
Likes For rhenning:
Old 10-09-20, 07:25 AM
HowardHansen
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advices! I always hurt my wrist