Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

From bedroom to indoor workshop...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-21, 06:51 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts

I have made the decision that an indoor workshop, as opposed to the refrigerator that I now call a workshop, is much more important than the seldom used room that is losing it’s bedroom designation by the sheer lack of said beds...the futon, a part time bed, is headed out to the living room...the bureau and last vestige of the/a bedroom is heading to do bureau duty in another bedroom...
I hit HB to check out their much ballyhooed metal workbench for $99.99! I bought three! Why’d I buy three...that’s all they had! I see a need for at least three more!
Trust me folks, these benches will be TV stands, computer desks, microwave and kitchen appliance storage areas, and bedroom storage furniture with the lower area shelf for storage containers, etc.!
One built and doing workbench duty already!
First workbench took me about three hours of wtf is wrong now...scouring the directions to see what I missed and stupid mistakes like swapping lefts and rights on one of the drawers...the first one that I tried to put in...had I tried the other drawer I would have seen my mistake right away...
Probably will take an hour each to do the next ones...

Replacement heads for everybody! I have shaved my head and these old blades are literally not cutting it! Watching the GCN show makes it bicycley...
Old 01-16-21, 07:01 PM
billnuke1 

Buying bunches of storage containers and this stuff is going up to the attic... now that most of the attic dwelling bicycles have made their way to the new workshop! Oh yeah...HB 30” tool box replacing the bureau...

The aforementioned futon, and unfortunately, Max, the resident feline/dog/coon cat’s bed, will be being moved to the living room...
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 01-16-21, 07:14 PM
billnuke1 

Bench already being utilized in the new workshop!

This box is coming in with all of the bicycle specific and most bicycle useful tools

This double pro stand or the newly acquired double pro stand is coming in, too.
Old 01-16-21, 10:04 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
It will pay dividends.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 01-17-21, 08:29 AM
billnuke1 

Winter just got bettah!
I’m added another whole bicycle season!
The whole house is in flux...almost everything needs to be touched to accomplish my move forward here...
I’m excited!
Possibilties!
Old 01-17-21, 09:02 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I assume there is either a VERY tolerant wife or none at all.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-17-21, 04:42 PM
billnuke1 

!

Me and the coupon showed up at the aisle at the same time...had to have it! Somebody was looking at them... I said that I had one...looked at my phone coupon...there it was! We got the last two!

Yay me!
Old 01-17-21, 05:26 PM
billnuke1 

Originally Posted by HillRider
I assume there is either a VERY tolerant wife or none at all.
Two months ago, my tolerant wife started having more serious cognitive issues...they have been popping up for the last 2-3 years and probably some time before that and we have been managing the issues...lowering expectations, streamlining tasks, shortening vacations and stays away from home in general...her primary Dr. had diagnosed an “aging brain”...
We barely made it through her holidays...early Christmas lists and all...she has a diagnosis of Dementia...she has been well aware of this outcome for some time...insidious condition...she is in a nursing home where she gets the 24/7 care necessary...without the pressure of the home, and the right medication, she is almost thriving within her world...
The Covid-19 situation limited our visits to window visits and those were not as important to her as they once were, actually were more upsetting to her.
She is meeting other residents and has retained some of her humor and wit...visits the nurses station when she wants to talk...she treats her room somewhat like an apartment and takes care in arranging and rearranging her family pictures and her clothes as she thinks of it...she also has been enjoying her adult coloring books...she always enjoyed sketching and was quite good even though she down played it...
The situation has afforded me some freedom to do what I want to do here at the home...doing the bedroom change over to a climate controlled workshop is not much of a stretch...
The family is not so likely to take advantage of the overnight hospitality...they will park out front, head to the beach, come back and go back home...
I’m no longer limited to what anyone else’s norms are...
Going through our extensive travel albums will take a lot of time...So many poignant memories...everything thing we saw, big or small on our trips was important to us...the memories can sweet or crushing in turn...well, I have the rest of my life...
Thanks all for being out there...
Old 01-18-21, 12:19 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Glad your wife is doing OK.

What's going to be the floor?
Old 01-18-21, 04:57 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
billnuke1 Really sorry for the woes you and your wife are dealing with. Having an indoor workshop is a worthwhile investment. I live by myself in a small 3 bedroom. The two small, spare rooms are used for my bikes, one a bike workroom and the other for storage. My home also has an enclosed, non-heated/ac, large rear deck. It faces SSW and is very warm on sunny days, so I have a wall mounted work stand out there. There is a lot of good in working in a comfortable, convenient area.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 01-18-21, 06:13 AM
billnuke1 

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Glad your wife is doing OK.

What's going to be the floor?
Thanks for the thoughts...I have confidence that everybody is right where they should be...

Ok. Now to the flooring...probably a cheap full size rug and I will use appropriate care as the individual situations arise...no PB Blaster!
Old 01-18-21, 06:22 AM
billnuke1 

!

Originally Posted by delbiker1
billnuke1 Really sorry for the woes you and your wife are dealing with. Having an indoor workshop is a worthwhile investment. I live by myself in a small 3 bedroom. The two small, spare rooms are used for my bikes, one a bike workroom and the other for storage. My home also has an enclosed, non-heated/ac, large rear deck. It faces SSW and is very warm on sunny days, so I have a wall mounted work stand out there. There is a lot of good in working in a comfortable, convenient area.
The shop is something that Judy and I had been discussing, albeit, in the utility room, not the extra bedroom!
On my own again after 30 + years...hmmm, weird....
Old 01-18-21, 06:55 AM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1
Thanks for the thoughts...I have confidence that everybody is right where they should be...

Ok. Now to the flooring...probably a cheap full size rug and I will use appropriate care as the individual situations arise...no PB Blaster!
Sorry for your lose, bill, but glad that she somewhat shared your ideas and thoughts which I think helps with the grieving.
Back on topic, have you thought about those foam/rubber tiles use on kids' flooring at daycare center/playrooms/gyms? I've four placed as a large square under my repair stand and are sturdy, can take some oil/grease/cleaners, and are easy to wash; they are good protection for when parts or tool fall as not only saving my ceramic tile flooring, muffling the sounds and protecting the parts when they hit the ground.
Old 01-18-21, 08:16 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I'm sorry for your situation and I sincerely hope my "facetious" comment wasn't offensive. I had no idea. I do know what you are dealing with and you have my sympathy.
Old 01-18-21, 10:49 AM
billnuke1 

Originally Posted by HillRider
I'm sorry for your situation and I sincerely hope my "facetious" comment wasn't offensive. I had no idea. I do know what you are dealing with and you have my sympathy.
Absolutely no worries at all...no way to tell what was going on! I took no offense at all...makes me think that I should have prefaced my thread with the whole situation...so, I actually apologize to you and anyone else that got pulled into the conversation as anything but a 100% positive personal experience for me...
If you know what I am dealing with, well, then you know what I am dealing with...I have a great medical support group, they have been there, done that...they have told me more, what not to do...I am confident in the decisions that I have made...we planned for our future, just not this future...I can do nothing but move ahead...
Take care...
Old 01-18-21, 01:32 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
You are lucky that she is happy with her new surroundings. My mother hated hers when dementia took her mind. My wife's mother was happy in her room and made the best of it.
When we moved into our home my wife had the bedroom abutting the garage turned into a bike room with a door to the garage. She is the best wife I have ever had!
Illness has kept me off the bike for quite a while and I don't think I will be on one soon. Old age sucks!
Likes For davidad:
Old 01-19-21, 09:56 AM
billnuke1 

Pest control is spotty this time of year...people are staying put in their summer or rental properties so we are getting calls for spiders, flies, etc...pests that no one would seen, or would have found dead in the spring...I am kinda busy...not getting a full day in the big changeover!
I’ll start bringing in the bicycle tools and wheel/tire work tonight probably...no pressure...gotta be my Happy(ish)Place!
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 01-19-21, 11:09 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,060 Times in 3,810 Posts
Take lots of pics of your progress
Old 01-19-21, 07:23 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Good luck on moving forward with your plans and with life in general. Appears you’re not lacking in bikes/bike stuff.
Old 02-05-21, 07:08 PM
billnuke1 

Thoughts of the back room shop are swirling around again...’cept the living room is bigger, closer to the garage...hmmmmm...maybe both! Mebbe the whole house:He’s outta control!
Pushing wife’s family to take the “family” stuff outta here!
We downsized...closer to the water...half the furniture is too much, too big!
Old 02-06-21, 08:24 PM
billnuke1 

Love my new tray...may miss the tool slots though...gotta find the stand stand for the tool caddy...

One double stand for the bedroom and one for the living room!
Old 02-07-21, 07:49 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts

If you have wood floors be sure to put down a layer of newpapers before your layer of floor covering. Dirt and crap sifting through the rug/carpet/rubber squares will be less likely to cause damage to the wood's finish. I would probably look for a sheet of linoleum to put on top of the paper; it's tough and easy to clean and it's probably pretty cheap.
Old 02-08-21, 06:57 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Thoughts of the back room shop are swirling around again...’cept the living room is bigger, closer to the garage...hmmmmm...maybe both! Mebbe the whole house:He’s outta control!
Pushing wife’s family to take the “family” stuff outta here!
We downsized...closer to the water...half the furniture is too much, too big!
I prefer to leave the large furniture behind, the secret being to select furniture that will just last the tenure in your chosen location.

I think I have resolved my workshop issues - well, my wife did, bless her, by finding a small wooden cottage with two barns attached.
Old 02-08-21, 07:24 AM
billnuke1 

Wife’s kids showed yesterday to pick up a lot of the offending furniture...I told them that I had someone coming by to pick everything up for free! The husbands showed up and filled one p’up and two Subarus...
Still a few pieces to go, but really freed up some room!
Possibilities!
A lot of my replacement “furnishings” will be coming from Harbor Freight!
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 02-14-21, 08:36 PM
billnuke1 

Third and last of the HF metal work benches...this is going to replace the computer amoire...never liked it! I will buy more of these benches as my needs/wants develop...I’ll get a couple of the wooden benches when they go back on sale, too. #2 metal bench can be seen to right and behind #3...replaced an ugly, low TV stand...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.