Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Changing a rear deraillear cage length from medium to long

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-21, 10:44 PM
AlCastro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey All,
Short story, do you know if you can change the length of the rear derailleur cage from medium to long without affecting the performance of the derailleur?

Long story: a mate of a mate borrowed my bike, broke the derailleur and got it replaced and has used it. I think the mechanic has replaced the derailleur with a medium length derailleur not long, as there is heaps of sag in the chain on small chain ring and small cassette. I don't think its b-screw adjustment as derailleur is in a good place when it's in the large cassette gear.
I know that i shouldn't be in small small or large large, but thats not the point. Nor is shortening the chain.

Can't post photos. Im a newb around here.
Old 02-14-21, 10:57 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Medium cage is only meant for a wider range double where long cage is often a slightly smaller cassette range but works with a triple. A med might handle the difference even if it isn't meant to depending on your gearing. Put it in the big/big, the critical gear for determining if its safe or the der and hanger will be ripped off the frame. If you can remove a pair of links in this position shift to the small/small and see if removing them will take up the slack, if so go for it and it should work fine. If it isn't safe to remove a couple links or doing so won't eliminate the slack then the only proper solution in a new long cage, don't remove links to test or it might result in needing to replace the chain as well.
Old 02-14-21, 11:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Are you asking about putting a longer cage on this derailleur with a medium cage? Or are you asking about getting another long cage derailleur and returning to close to what you had before? I'm not clear on what you are asking.

I used to ride SunTour Cyclone derailleurs and swap cages for different gearing setups. With some derailleurs it is not hard but I have no idea what derailleurs out there now you can do that to.

Tell us what you have - bike, chainrings, cassette (or freewheel), what your past derailleur was and what you have now. And what you want to have. (And yes, whatever you tell us, some posters will be quick to tell you you're wrong. Others of us actually want to help you.)

Welcome to Bike Forums!

Ben
Old 02-14-21, 11:09 PM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Add another photo to your album with the big to big combo.

I think the mechanic has replaced the derailleur with a medium length derailleur not long
It looks like it might be a medium cage, have a look for the model number on the derailleur, if it's says RD-M_ _ _GS it's a medium cage, if it says RD-M_ _ _SGS it's a long cage.

How is the chain length when you're sitting on the bike with the shock sagged?

It might need a long cage, it might need some links removed.

Old 02-14-21, 11:47 PM
AlCastro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I am asking can i take the medium cage off the derailleur and put on a large to return it to what it was before. I mean I don't actually know what has caused the sag but this is all i can put it down to.

its a triple chain ring 42-36-26 and wide cassette 11-36. Pivot Mach 4 (last run of the 26', baby!). I think the past derailleur was a long caged XT, definately XT. but cage I don't know. never had any pain with it.
Old 02-14-21, 11:49 PM
AlCastro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chubba, Well, checked it, unfortunately its neither GS or SGS. It says RD-M... VIA

Sitting on the sadle in big big seems to pull the derailleur more forward. eek!
Old 02-15-21, 06:08 AM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by AlCastro
Chubba, Well, checked it, unfortunately its neither GS or SGS. It says RD-M... VIA

What numbers are on the derailleur, RD-M????
Old 02-15-21, 06:23 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
RD-M (what else?) should be numbers here like 780 or the like.
Old 02-15-21, 08:07 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Provided you can find a long cage that will easily mount on your current derailleur, it ought to work. I've done it with Campagnolo, Simplex, and SunTour derailleurs BITD.
Old 02-15-21, 02:31 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Hey All,
Short story, do you know if you can change the length of the rear derailleur cage from medium to long without affecting the performance of the derailleur?

Long story: a mate of a mate borrowed my bike, broke the derailleur and got it replaced and has used it. I think the mechanic has replaced the derailleur with a medium length derailleur not long, as there is heaps of sag in the chain on small chain ring and small cassette. I don't think its b-screw adjustment as derailleur is in a good place when it's in the large cassette gear.
I know that i shouldn't be in small small or large large, but thats not the point. Nor is shortening the chain.

No problem. I replaced the cage on my latest generation R9100 series Rear Derailleur with a GS cage from a Ultegra. Works great no issues.
Old 02-15-21, 03:31 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 866 Times in 416 Posts
Hey All,

Is it possible that when your mate broke your rear derailleur, he also damaged the chain?
If he replaced the chain without setting the correct length, it would look like what you show in your pics.
The master link is visible and fairly simple to disconnect.
Use Sheldon Brown's method to check the chain length, https://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
Old 02-18-21, 12:15 AM
AlCastro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cobba
What numbers are on the derailleur, RD-M????
Cobba, unfortunately I didn't take the number down. I decided to take the bike to the mechanic who 'fixed it'. Over the phone he said yeah you can add a long cage to it without a problem. I don't know, still want a second opinion. As the spring tension for the cage should be dictated by the lever, or cage length.
Old 02-18-21, 12:17 AM
AlCastro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
RD-M (what else?) should be numbers here like 780 or the like.
Dedhed. Yah, unfortunately I didn't jot it down and took the bike to the mechanic who 'fixed' it. When it comes back from the shop, i'll post the part type number on here.
Old 02-18-21, 12:19 AM
AlCastro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
No problem. I replaced the cage on my latest generation R9100 series Rear Derailleur with a GS cage from a Ultegra. Works great no issues.
Atlas Shrugged, cool. Are the derailleur cages you have switched out and put in different lengths? with the new one being longer?
Old 02-18-21, 12:20 AM
AlCastro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Provided you can find a long cage that will easily mount on your current derailleur, it ought to work. I've done it with Campagnolo, Simplex, and SunTour derailleurs BITD.
John,

Good to hear it's worked for you. If it is all shimano components and XT range, Would there be any reason why the wouldn't fit?
Old 02-18-21, 06:37 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
John,

Good to hear it's worked for you. If it is all shimano components and XT range, Would there be any reason why the wouldn't fit?
Chances are good with the same manufacturer and model and similar vintage, where cage mounting specifics are likely to be consistent across different cage lengths. I've put Simplex SX-410 long cages onto Simplex SX-660 bodies, Campagnolo Rally long cages onto Campagnolo Nuovo Record bodies, SunTour Cyclone long cages onto Cyclone short-cage bodies, etc. The closer the donor is to the recipient, the better the odds of it working. But designs change across manufacturers, models and over time, so no guarantees.
Old 02-18-21, 10:36 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Atlas Shrugged, cool. Are the derailleur cages you have switched out and put in different lengths? with the new one being longer?
Yes, it allowed me to use a 34 or a 36 Cassette without any other modifications. Had enough capacity to go from small-small to big-big. Very cheap as well.
Old 02-18-21, 10:44 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by cobba
Add another photo to your album with the big to big combo.

It looks like it might be a medium cage, have a look for the model number on the derailleur, if it's says RD-M_ _ _GS it's a medium cage, if it says RD-M_ _ _SGS it's a long cage.

How is the chain length when you're sitting on the bike with the shock sagged?

It might need a long cage, it might need some links removed.

Yup wrong RD for a triple.
And again----------------the "B" screw is NOT for chain tension. That is one of the most misunderstood thing abour RDs!!!
Old 02-18-21, 11:26 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts

Sitting on the sadle in big big seems to pull the derailleur more forward. eek!
Likely it's already a "mountain" RDER and your search is pointless.