Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Tour du Port?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-16, 08:01 AM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tour du Port?

Is there going to be a Tour du Port ride in Baltimore this year? I just checked on line to get the date and registration information and can only find 2015 information. Even the registration for the website seems to have expired.
Old 09-01-16, 08:52 AM
greaterbrown

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Bike MD dropped TdP this year. If I'm remembering correctly, they offered a different route called the Urban Adventure and a week before that ride, they canceled it as well.

Bike MD is going through a lot of changes right now.

Not sure if it's a common issue, but it seems like the ridership on big supported events has definitely fallen off in the last couple years. The organizations often have differing excuses for cancelling, but it's a trend.

Eat a Peach also canceled this year.
Old 09-05-16, 05:52 PM
bhcohen

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greaterbrown
I think Bike MD dropped TdP this year. If I'm remembering correctly, they offered a different route called the Urban Adventure and a week before that ride, they canceled it as well.

Bike MD is going through a lot of changes right now.

Not sure if it's a common issue, but it seems like the ridership on big supported events has definitely fallen off in the last couple years. The organizations often have differing excuses for cancelling, but it's a trend.

Eat a Peach also canceled this year.
Yes, the combination of changes at Bike Maryland, reduced ridership, cost, and complexity of running the event contributed to the decision to cancel the event. Bike Maryland is putting its resources behind its other fundraising ride, Larry's Ride.

Larry's Ride is a ride through Baltimore County with distances of 25, 35, 66 and 75 miles. It will be held on September 25th leaving from Oregon Ridge Park. It's a very pretty ride with some challenging hills.

More info at the Larry's Ride website