Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Looking for feedback on Origami Lotus

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Looking for feedback on Origami Lotus

Old 02-20-21, 03:43 PM
  #76  
tds101 
Wake up!!!
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 3,307

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
no IGH this year, but probably next
The Lotus would have been PERFECT w/an IGH option. Still, hydraulic disc brakes + 9 speeds is nothing to sneeze at. It's a fantastic bike for $499.

One question,... Can I use 2.0" tires on this baby?
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Old 02-21-21, 06:38 AM
  #77  
anga
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
An IGH with a standard chain drive would be more than acceptable,...
With an IGH.
In case it doesn't need the chain tensioner for folding, consider changing the dropout to eliminate the chain tensioner.
anga is offline  
Old 02-24-21, 09:42 PM
  #78  
tds101 
Wake up!!!
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 3,307

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by anga View Post
With an IGH.
In case it doesn't need the chain tensioner for folding, consider changing the dropout to eliminate the chain tensioner.
I'm not the bike manufacturer/seller, so why would you quote me, and suggest changing the dropout TO ME? I already suggested a horizontal dropout for an IGH. We also know it would eliminate the necessity of a chain tensioner.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Old 02-25-21, 07:52 AM
  #79  
anga
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
I'm not the bike manufacturer/seller, so why would you quote me, and suggest changing the dropout TO ME? I already suggested a horizontal dropout for an IGH. We also know it would eliminate the necessity of a chain tensioner.
I was following up on your comment.
My impression is that all posts in this thread are directed to the manufacturer.
I missed your suggestion about horizontal dropout.
My suggestion includes other types of dropouts that allow chain tensioning.
Wanted to confirm that folding doesn't require chain slack.
anga is offline  
Likes For anga:
Old 02-25-21, 08:05 AM
  #80  
anga
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Looks good. Steel frame a big plus.
Weight not an issue.
My suggestions.
406 wheels, IGH, adjustable and split dropouts to eliminate chain tensioner and allow belt-drive.
Rohloff capable.
Choice of disc and rim brakes.
Fittings for fenders and racks.

Titanium frame in the future?
anga is offline  
Likes For anga:
Old 02-25-21, 11:50 AM
  #81  
Pinigis 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 1,072

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by anga View Post
Looks good. Steel frame a big plus.
Weight not an issue.
My suggestions.
406 wheels, IGH, adjustable and split dropouts to eliminate chain tensioner and allow belt-drive.
Rohloff capable.
Choice of disc and rim brakes.
Fittings for fenders and racks.

Titanium frame in the future?
We are looking at IGH options for later in the year, probably with a belt drive. I just like disc brakes better, but can look at rack options.

Titanium is very unlikely due to cost.
__________________
Paul Pinigis
Owner of Origami Bicycle Company
Pinigis is offline  
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 02-25-21, 12:09 PM
  #82  
JosephLMonti
Senior Member
 
JosephLMonti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
We are looking at IGH options for later in the year, probably with a belt drive. I just like disc brakes better, but can look at rack options.

Titanium is very unlikely due to cost.
Thanks for the update. The one item you did not speak to is the prospect of a 20 inch (406) model...is that a possibility or unlikely to happen?
JosephLMonti is offline  
Old 02-25-21, 12:50 PM
  #83  
Pinigis 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 1,072

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by JosephLMonti View Post
Thanks for the update. The one item you did not speak to is the prospect of a 20 inch (406) model...is that a possibility or unlikely to happen?
We are not pursuing a 406 option at this time, but it is possible in the future. Maybe I need to move that up on my list of things to do.
__________________
Paul Pinigis
Owner of Origami Bicycle Company
Pinigis is offline  
Old 02-25-21, 01:44 PM
  #84  
brdeleo49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: West Sacramento CA
Posts: 64

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D, Dahon Boardwalk, Sundeal F1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
When you do update to IGH, will it be 3spd or ??? Thanks, Ben D.
brdeleo49 is offline  
Old 02-25-21, 02:06 PM
  #85  
tds101 
Wake up!!!
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 3,307

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
We are looking at IGH options for later in the year, probably with a belt drive. I just like disc brakes better, but can look at rack options.

Titanium is very unlikely due to cost.
THIS is what I'm dying for you to make,...an IGH model. I don't want another Dahon, Tern, etc. I'm waiting for you guys to do it. I may sound overly optomistic, but my Origami Wasp folder is one of the best bikes I own. This is my personal opinion,...it's a great folder. I'm (im)patiently awaiting an IGH model from you guys. The Lotus is still excellent, especially at the asking price. Still,...I'm holding out.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Likes For tds101:
Old 02-25-21, 03:29 PM
  #86  
Pinigis 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 1,072

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by JosephLMonti View Post
Thanks for the update. The one item you did not speak to is the prospect of a 20 inch (406) model...is that a possibility or unlikely to happen?
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
THIS is what I'm dying for you to make,...an IGH model. I don't want another Dahon, Tern, etc. I'm waiting for you guys to do it. I may sound overly optomistic, but my Origami Wasp folder is one of the best bikes I own. This is my personal opinion,...it's a great folder. I'm (im)patiently awaiting an IGH model from you guys. The Lotus is still excellent, especially at the asking price. Still,...I'm holding out.
OK, OK, Ok, you win. What IGH would you like to see us use? If we are going to do this, we better do it right.
__________________
Paul Pinigis
Owner of Origami Bicycle Company
Pinigis is offline  
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 02-25-21, 03:51 PM
  #87  
brdeleo49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: West Sacramento CA
Posts: 64

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D, Dahon Boardwalk, Sundeal F1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
KISS is what I say. 3spd IGH is my vote.... thanks, Ben D.
brdeleo49 is offline  
Likes For brdeleo49:
Old 02-25-21, 09:20 PM
  #88  
tds101 
Wake up!!!
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 3,307

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
OK, OK, Ok, you win. What IGH would you like to see us use? If we are going to do this, we better do it right.
A 3 speed OR 7 speed IGH is more than adequate IMO. 8 speed would be killer,...but ANY IGH you make and I'm IN!!!

__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Likes For tds101:
Old 02-26-21, 12:31 AM
  #89  
anga
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
We are looking at IGH options for later in the year, probably with a belt drive. I just like disc brakes better, but can look at rack options.

Titanium is very unlikely due to cost.
You can design a frame with upgrade possibilities.
135 mm rear dropout spacing. Adjustable and split dropouts. Braze-ons for rim brakes. Disc brake tabs.
Ability to fit rear racks and stand.

If you want to offer with IGH, I would prefer 8-speed. But happy to buy single-speed and upgrade.

Buyer can buy complete bike and then upgrade as desired.
Or.
Offer frame + fork + stem.
Buyer can add IGH, belt, rim brakes, etc.
anga is offline  
Likes For anga:
Old 03-01-21, 10:04 PM
  #90  
Pinigis 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 1,072

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
We are not pursuing a 406 option at this time, but it is possible in the future. Maybe I need to move that up on my list of things to do.
Originally Posted by anga View Post
Looks good. Steel frame a big plus.
Weight not an issue.
My suggestions.
406 wheels, IGH, adjustable and split dropouts to eliminate chain tensioner and allow belt-drive.
Rohloff capable.
Choice of disc and rim brakes.
Fittings for fenders and racks.

Titanium frame in the future?
OK, we now have a design to accommodate 406 wheels (with up to 2" tires), and IGH (using an eccentric bottom bracket for tensioning), belt drive, hydraulic disc brakes (my personal preference), chromoly steel, and mounts for rear rack and fenders. We are going to make a prototype as soon as we can. It make a little time since we aren't used to dealing with an IGH.

Now, what would you estimate to be a price point for a setup like this?
__________________
Paul Pinigis
Owner of Origami Bicycle Company
Pinigis is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 03:45 AM
  #91  
anga
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
OK, we now have a design to accommodate 406 wheels (with up to 2" tires), and IGH (using an eccentric bottom bracket for tensioning), belt drive, hydraulic disc brakes (my personal preference), chromoly steel, and mounts for rear rack and fenders. We are going to make a prototype as soon as we can. It make a little time since we aren't used to dealing with an IGH.

Now, what would you estimate to be a price point for a setup like this?
Please, not an EBB. Potential problems.
Isn't an EBB at least as expensive as an adjustable dropout?
Can live with any adjustable dropout or horizontal dropout or track end.

As for cost, it is going to cost what it is going to cost.
If it gets to be expensive, provide upgrade capability and leave it to the buyer.

Hard to find a frame that has significant upgrade potential.
I would be happy to buy just the frameset or a single-speed bike with chain drive and rim brakes and then upgrade.

Last edited by anga; 03-02-21 at 03:49 AM.
anga is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 07:25 AM
  #92  
JosephLMonti
Senior Member
 
JosephLMonti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
OK, we now have a design to accommodate 406 wheels (with up to 2" tires), and IGH (using an eccentric bottom bracket for tensioning), belt drive, hydraulic disc brakes (my personal preference), chromoly steel, and mounts for rear rack and fenders. We are going to make a prototype as soon as we can. It make a little time since we aren't used to dealing with an IGH.

Now, what would you estimate to be a price point for a setup like this?
Given that this bike will feature a chromoly frame, I think the best comparison would be the Dahon Speed. Currently the Dahon Speed 8 is available for $699 while the Dahon Speed 9 goes for $899, so I would expect the Origami model (what will you call it?) will be somewhere in that ball park.

Also, I really appreciate how receptive you've been to everyone's input, so I hesitate to make yet another request, but please consider making the tire clearance threshold a bit more than 2 inches. Most 406 wheeled folding bikes can already take up to a 2 inch wide tire, so to make your offering stand out from the crowd, maybe go something like 2.3 inch? This wouldn't eliminate any narrow tire (like 1.5-1.75) customers, but would only increase your potential market as I sense there is some interest amongst people in running wider tires.

Last edited by JosephLMonti; 03-02-21 at 07:31 AM.
JosephLMonti is offline  
Likes For JosephLMonti:
Old 03-02-21, 08:05 AM
  #93  
Pinigis 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 1,072

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by JosephLMonti View Post
Given that this bike will feature a chromoly frame, I think the best comparison would be the Dahon Speed. Currently the Dahon Speed 8 is available for $699 while the Dahon Speed 9 goes for $899, so I would expect the Origami model (what will you call it?) will be somewhere in that ball park.

Also, I really appreciate how receptive you've been to everyone's input, so I hesitate to make yet another request, but please consider making the tire clearance threshold a bit more than 2 inches. Most 406 wheeled folding bikes can already take up to a 2 inch wide tire, so to make your offering stand out from the crowd, maybe go something like 2.3 inch? This wouldn't eliminate any narrow tire (like 1.5-1.75) customers, but would only increase your potential market as I sense there is some interest amongst people in running wider tires.
Good point! Allowing for a wider tire is a minor change at this point.
__________________
Paul Pinigis
Owner of Origami Bicycle Company
Pinigis is offline  
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 03-02-21, 08:07 AM
  #94  
Pinigis 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 1,072

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by anga View Post
Please, not an EBB. Potential problems.
Isn't an EBB at least as expensive as an adjustable dropout?
Can live with any adjustable dropout or horizontal dropout or track end.
Most adjustable dropouts require a triangular rear, so they won't work. I will look at some horizontal dropouts with derailleur hangers so that we have options on the drive train.

There are some nice EBBs out there now, but horizontal dropouts may be more friendly to customers.
__________________
Paul Pinigis
Owner of Origami Bicycle Company
Pinigis is offline  
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 03-02-21, 08:14 AM
  #95  
Pinigis 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 1,072

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by JosephLMonti View Post
Given that this bike will feature a chromoly frame, I think the best comparison would be the Dahon Speed. Currently the Dahon Speed 8 is available for $699 while the Dahon Speed 9 goes for $899, so I would expect the Origami model (what will you call it?) will be somewhere in that ball park.
The Dahon Speed doesn't have an expensive IGH or belt drive, those things really impact cost. I am not sure where we will end up on pricing yet, but I can promise that we will beat anyone out there with a similar setup.
__________________
Paul Pinigis
Owner of Origami Bicycle Company
Pinigis is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 08:29 AM
  #96  
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur
 
Schwinnsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
The Dahon Speed doesn't have an expensive IGH or belt drive, those things really impact cost. I am not sure where we will end up on pricing yet, but I can promise that we will beat anyone out there with a similar setup.
For my 2 cents IGH and belt drives are negatives.
Schwinnsta is offline  
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 03-02-21, 08:32 AM
  #97  
Pinigis 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 1,072

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta View Post
For my 2 cents IGH and belt drives are negatives.
We will offer it with a derailleur option too. I am not a big fan of the IGH simply due to the cost and added weight, but there are enough people out there that want one we cannot overlook them any longer.
__________________
Paul Pinigis
Owner of Origami Bicycle Company
Pinigis is offline  
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 03-02-21, 06:08 PM
  #98  
tds101 
Wake up!!!
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 3,307

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
We will offer it with a derailleur option too. I am not a big fan of the IGH simply due to the cost and added weight, but there are enough people out there that want one we cannot overlook them any longer.
I'm one of those people,...and I'm committed to getting this when the IGH model becomes available.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Likes For tds101:
Old 03-04-21, 10:28 AM
  #99  
JosephLMonti
Senior Member
 
JosephLMonti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
OK, we now have a design to accommodate 406 wheels (with up to 2" tires), and IGH (using an eccentric bottom bracket for tensioning), belt drive, hydraulic disc brakes (my personal preference), chromoly steel, and mounts for rear rack and fenders. We are going to make a prototype as soon as we can. It make a little time since we aren't used to dealing with an IGH.

Now, what would you estimate to be a price point for a setup like this?
I know you don't even have a prototype yet, but do you have a mock-up of the design simliar to the one you provided in the #1 post of this thread?
JosephLMonti is offline  
Old 03-04-21, 02:39 PM
  #100  
Pinigis 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 1,072

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by JosephLMonti View Post
I know you don't even have a prototype yet, but do you have a mock-up of the design simliar to the one you provided in the #1 post of this thread?
All we have so far is the drawing of the frame. We should have a prototype in about 6 weeks.
__________________
Paul Pinigis
Owner of Origami Bicycle Company
Pinigis is offline  
Likes For Pinigis:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.