Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

BB92 to Hollowtech adapter

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-21, 02:41 PM
humancannonball

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello everyone,

New member, first post.

I have a 2019 Salsa Cutthroat Apex 1, and I *think* it has a press fit BB92 (I found some specs that listed it as having a PressFit 41 x 92mm bottom bracket, I think this is the same as BB92, please tell me if I'm wrong). It came with SRAM Stylo 6K Eagle DUB cranks. I'm wanting to swap them out with a set of RaceFace Atlas Hollowtech cranks and, first of all, I am needing to know if I can use a hollowtech crank, and if so, what adapter I need to get. This is my first bike with a press fit bottom bracket, so I'm really not familiar with the technology at all, and would welcome any input.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-21, 05:04 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
I looked on the RaceFace website and saw a BB compatibility page. You'll probably need to replace the BB, and order the right length spindle for that BB.
Old 01-21-21, 05:45 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I looked on the RaceFace website and saw a BB compatibility page. You'll probably need to replace the BB, and order the right length spindle for that BB.
The Raceface Atlas is a 2 piece crank, The spindle is permanently attached to the non driveside crankarm. Hollowtech is a term Shimano uses for their cranks
Old 01-21-21, 05:59 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
The Raceface Atlas is a 2 piece crank, The spindle is permanently attached to the non driveside crankarm. Hollowtech is a term Shimano uses for their cranks
When I looked at the RaceFace website, I saw a selection of spindle lengths available for different BB shell widths and chainlines.

Isn't the spindle on a two-piece crank usually attached to the drive side?
Old 01-21-21, 10:44 PM
alcjphil

Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Isn't the spindle on a two-piece crank usually attached to the drive side?
The Raceface Turbine crank on my touring bike has the spindle attached to the non drive side. As I remember, the Atlas was the same. However, the newest Turbine and Atlas cranks use a different spindle/crank interface than my older one which has a steel 24 mm spindle

Last edited by alcjphil; 01-22-21 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-22-21, 02:16 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
You need to replace the BB. I'd fairly strongly recommend having a shop do the replacement if you don't have appropriate tools and experience. If you knock out or press in a bearing crooked it can absolutely crack your frame.

Hollowtech II is a Shimano standard, although some manufacturers might use it to refer to a crankset with a straight 24mm spindle. That said, I'm pretty sure the Atlas only comes with a 30mm spindle. I strongly recommend against installing this in your frame--PF92 is really designed for 24mm spindles, and using a 30mm spindle requires very thin bearings that have significantly worse drag and much worse bearing life.
Old 01-23-21, 03:47 PM
davidad

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
pardo.net/bike/pic/mobi/b.bottom-bracket-standards.html
Old 03-24-21, 06:45 PM
humancannonball

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi guys,

thanks for all the replies. Sorry for the delay, life has distracted me away from things for a bit.

So I pulled the SRAM cranks off my bike to look at the spindle. The SRAM has a 30mm spindle, and the RaceFace's is 24mm, and the spindle lengths seem to be exactly the same. So it seems that using the RaceFace cranks should work fine as long as I get the correct press-fit bearings (and have them installed by the LBS so as to not damage my frame).

Again, thanks for the responses, much appreciated.