Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help servicing Vuelta Corsa lite road wheels

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21, 06:26 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts

I have a set of Vuelta Corsa lite road wheels that are starting to make noise while coasting. Not really sure if its the hubs or the freehub. The sound is intermittent, and happened while coasting down a hill last night with the road slightly wet. Couldn't find any info on how to service them online, is anyone familiar with this wheel set? The rear wheel is 10 speed.

Dave
Old 01-26-21, 06:43 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Gosh now that you mention it my rear wheel is making noise while I coast... Andy
Old 01-27-21, 09:46 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Andrew refers to the normal pawl/ratchet sound when coasting any rear wheel makes (unless fixie wheel). So the OP
needs to distinguish the expected sound from what they think they are hearing that differs. IIRC Vuelta wheels have
sealed bearings and not loose bearings and cones (except the bottom end wheels). I suspect that generic maintenance
instructions on such as Park Tool would suffice for a general approach to service.

Last edited by sch; 01-27-21 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-27-21, 09:53 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Try contacting Vuelta directly. Contact Us (vueltausa.com)
Old 01-27-21, 02:47 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Andrew refers to the normal pawl/ratchet sound when coasting any rear wheel makes (unless fixie wheel). So the OP
needs to distinguish the expected sound from what they think they are hearing that differs. IIRC Vuelta wheels have
sealed bearings and not loose bearings and cones (except the bottom end wheels). I suspect that generic maintenance
instructions on such as Park Tool would suffice for a general approach to service.
It's not the normal ratcheting sound of the freewheel. The sound is more like brake pads rubbing, but I have already confirmed that isn't the case. While riding the bike the noise is present, but while off the bike, I haven't been able to reproduce the issue.

AFAIK the hubs are not cone and cup, but Vuelta does sell replacement axles and bearings (not currently in stock) as well as a replacement freehub.

Dave
Old 01-28-21, 12:43 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Old 05-11-23, 06:46 PM
muysal
Urban Cyclist

Bikes: Guerciotti SLX - 84', Tide-Ace 11sp carbon frame & misc. Shimano parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
I have a set of Vuelta Corsa lite road wheels that are starting to make noise while coasting. Not really sure if its the hubs or the freehub. The sound is intermittent, and happened while coasting down a hill last night with the road slightly wet. Couldn't find any info on how to service them online, is anyone familiar with this wheel set? The rear wheel is 10 speed.

Dave
I have the same problem servicing this wheelset.
My communications with BDop has been lengthy but not helpful because they don't recognize any of the freehub photos I sent from my Vuelta Corsa-Lite 11sp wheelset, purchased about 5 years ago. The problem I have is removal of the freehub body because it progressively got louder and it was time to take a look inside.

The drive side of the Vuelta Corsa-Lite 11sp hub accepts a 5 mm hex wrench. The non-drive side does not accept hex-key of any size. It's completely smooth bore; the only thing it will accept is the skewer. The cone-covers on both ends of the axle have the flats, which can be turned with 17 mm cone-wrench, however turning in opposite directions from both ends, unscrews only the cone cover on the non-drive side. The drive side cone-cover can be turned in both directions, but all that does is unscrew the cone cover from the non-drive side. Thinking the drive-side cone cover is somehow seized, sprayed with penetrating oil but that accomplished nothing.
My question is, how to open the drive-side cone-cover?

The youtube video posted on this thread, does not apply to Vuelta Corsa-Lite wheelset. It's a different Vuelta wheelset where two hex keys are used on both ends of the axle. Corsa-Lite accepts a 5 mm hex key only on the drive side.

Thank you in advance, if you can comment.
Old 05-11-23, 07:29 PM
muysal
Urban Cyclist

Bikes: Guerciotti SLX - 84', Tide-Ace 11sp carbon frame & misc. Shimano parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This video is about servicing Vuelta Team SL but not Vuelta Corsa-Lite, The latter model accepts 5 mm hex key on the drive side of the rear wheel. The non-drive side does not accept a hex key of any size except the skewer. I have the Vuelta Corsa-Lite wheelset and I'm still researching on how to remove the freehub body to inspect what's going on inside - because it has been getting louder.
Old 05-12-23, 12:41 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
Two things come to mind: 1) bearings need replacement (does spinning the wheel without holding the freehub still feel rough at all?), 2) freehub is damaged (could either be the freehub shell is cracked or internals are damaged).