Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Church Creek TT anyone

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Church Creek TT anyone

Old 08-19-10, 05:47 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Church Creek TT anyone

I'll be there getting passed in the Cat 5 ride.

NOTE - At 7:45pm I got an email saying the start times have changed. The ABRT website hasn't refreshed yet, so you'll have to check back later.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 08-21-10, 06:35 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a complicated relationship for with this race. It’s the first one I ever did back in ‘07, and I was slower in ‘08 and even slower in ‘09. So it’s always been a benchmark for me, albeit a negative one. Whatever it means to guys who can win the damn things, for me, the Race of Truth means disabusing myself of any BS about how fit I am.

Well today I finally made some progress – 2 minutes faster than I was in 07 and 5 minutes faster than I was last year. My overall time was 69 minutes, which bites, but at least it wasn’t 74 minutes like last year. Only passed by a few guys - not the entire group.

I was spent at the end, and definitely need to learn more about pacing judgment. I naturally want to rabbit. I had a PT this year, which helped a lot, but there was a headwind for the first 20km so I decided to push harder up front, but probably over cooked it as my 3rd 10km was absolutely pathetic.

There’s room to improve my position (Aerolab is giving me 0.275 for CdA), there’s room to improve my effective FTP by doing more riding in my TT position (lost at least 10-15 watts moving to aerobars) to gain better adaptation. But most off all, I need a boat load more watts.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 08-21-10, 06:39 PM
RacerMike
Huge Member

Bikes: 2009 BMC Team Machine, Pedal Force RS2, Salsa Campeon, Jamis Nova, Trek 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpongeDad
But most off all, I need a boat load more watts.
Don't we all! Nice improvement!
Old 08-21-10, 09:10 PM
RudeSiggy

Bikes: '07 Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL, DuraAce, Easton EA90 Aero Wheels (or MAVIC Carbone SLs)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well done and good for you to keep coming back. This is a brutal course mentally.

I was there this morning in the Cat 3 race - mainly because I was competing for BAR points. I don't really care for TTs, especially dead flat ones like Church Creek. Kinda boring-as-hell. I did the Team Time Trial here in the spring so I knew a bit about the course. It's totally different when you're solo, though. At the end today, especially, there was a nice headwind in the final 5k right around 11AM. That hurt and was quite the contrast from the spring race that ended with 10k of tailwind.

I actually had decent pacing by feel - just felt like winging it. No HR or speed today, and I don't have power. I just had a timer so I'd know every 10k how I was fairing against the clock. Pretty happy with a 58:05 for my first-ever 40k TT, although it wasn't quite enough to take the lead for the BAR.

My. Legs. Hurt.

Dawg Days Circuit Race tomorrow. Heck yes.