Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Considering a Wahoo Tikr HR monitor and Wahoo Blue SC speed/cadence

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-14, 08:22 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I posted in electronics and gadgets and have had nearly 100 views but not one response. Maybe someone in the 50+ forum, but doesn't visit the Electronics forum, has experience with Wahoo gear. Below is a quote from that post.

Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
Anyone here use the Wahoo Tickr and Strava? How about the Speed/Cadence(Blue SC) and Strava? I have a Droid Maxx(Android) smartphone which will, supposedly, work with the Wahoo equipment. I'm wanting to keep track of my effort, heart rate/speed/cadence, whether I'm using the bike on the road or using the KK Road Machine Trainer. I really don't need speed for on the road since Strava uses GPS(+ I already have a wireless cyclocomputer to glance at while riding out on the road(phone is in the jersey pocket)). I figure that when on the trainer I'll use the Wahoo App and upload the info to Strava, but when on the road, I would want to use Strava.
Old 11-18-14, 03:01 PM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They both work flawlessly with the iphone and should also with android. The actual wheel speed is more accurate than the gps signal.
Old 11-20-14, 06:17 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Mikey,

My wife has the Wahoo Tickr HRM and really likes it. However, she uses it with an iPhone. She says it more comfortable than the Garmin HRM strap that I am now using. A nice feature that the Wahoo unit has, that I have not seen on other HRM sensors, is an LED on each side of the sensor. One lets you know when the unit is paired and the other lets you know when it's connected and transmitting.

A friend of mine uses both the Wahoo HRM and speed/cadence sensor and really likes them. I haven't heard him complain of any issues with either unit.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-20-14, 06:26 PM
Bikey Mikey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Mikey,

My wife has the Wahoo Tickr HRM and really likes it. However, she uses it with an iPhone. She says it more comfortable than the Garmin HRM strap that I am now using. A nice feature that the Wahoo unit has, that I have not seen on other HRM sensors, is an LED on each side of the sensor. One lets you know when the unit is paired and the other lets you know when it's connected and transmitting.

A friend of mine uses both the Wahoo HRM and speed/cadence sensor and really likes them. I haven't heard him complain of any issues with either unit.
Thanks for the info. What app does your wife and friend use, strava, mapmyride, the Wahoo App?
Old 11-20-14, 09:23 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Just got a Tickr to replace a Jarv that took a dump and started spitting out garbage data after less than a year. 130bpm at rest? I don't think so!

Only one sleep study and one 70mi ride, but it's marginally more comfortable than the Jarv and accurate. The two LED's are a nice feature. They turn off after communication is established so they aren't an annoyance or battery drain. I use it with Cyclemeter and an i5S.
Old 11-21-14, 07:59 AM
John_V 

Thanks for the info. What app does your wife and friend use, strava, mapmyride, the Wahoo App?
They both have a series 5 iPhone and use Cyclemeter (iPhone only). My friend was using the Whaoo app but found it to be less informative than Cyclemeter. If you go with the Tickr make sure that you download the Wahoo Utility app. It's used to test your device and update any firmware that is available. I'm not sure if the Tickr has firmware that you can update, but if it does, you'll need this app to update it.

Between the three apps you mentioned, I would go with MapMyRide just for the ability to interface better with other Wahoo devices should you go with them later on. I quit using a bike computer (had a Cateye Double Wireless) and now use my phone for everything. I went with the Wahoo RFLKT+ for a computer display along with a Garmin speed/cadence sensor and my wife's old Garmin HRM. The RFLKT+ connects to the phone using BlueTooth 4.0 and has an Ant+ bridge (not available with the RFLKT) that converts an Ant+ signal to BlueTooth. Even though the HRM and SC sensor are shown paired in my phone, there is only one true connection to it and it's the RFLKT. This saves battery power by limiting the number of connections to the phone. The Tickr (and I believe their SC sensor) are dual technology, so you can use it as a BT or Ant+ device. If you later decide to use a RFLKT+, you can pair the Tickr and SC sensor as Ant+ devices and save battery power by eliminating two physical connections. Topeak and Cateye have similar devices like the RFLKT but you can only use their software with the device. Sorry for such a long reply to a simple question.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-21-14, 01:50 PM
Bikey Mikey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks. I'm not worried about phone battery life since I have Droid Maxx (which I have used heavily all day and still had 68% battery life left). The large capacity battery is one reason I got the phone.

The Wahoo app. would likely only be used on the trainer. I'll likely try using Wahoo monitors on Strava first when on the road.

Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 11-21-14 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-22-14, 01:03 AM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I have the Wahoo Blue HR Monitor, use it with my iphone 5s and Strava when out on the bike, on the trainer I use the HR monitor and the Wahoo Blue SC with the Wahoo Fitness App. on the iphone.

I have been happy with both combinations.
Old 11-22-14, 06:23 AM
Fredster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've used the Wahoo Tikr with RunKeeper and the Wahoo app on a couple of Andriod phones (Samsung S3 and Nexus5). It works fine. Just make sure you have the band contacts moist enough.
Old 11-22-14, 12:07 PM
Bikey Mikey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredster
I've used the Wahoo Tikr with RunKeeper and the Wahoo app on a couple of Andriod phones (Samsung S3 and Nexus5). It works fine. Just make sure you have the band contacts moist enough.
I'm guessing you mean that HRM.
Old 11-22-14, 02:25 PM
John_V 

Originally Posted by 02Giant
I have the Wahoo Blue HR Monitor, use it with my iphone 5s and Strava when out on the bike, on the trainer I use the HR monitor and the Wahoo Blue SC with the Wahoo Fitness App. on the iphone. .....
Not a fan of Strava (tried it and got rid of it) but can't you use it on the trainer as well? Why do you need two apps? In Cyclemeter, I create and set up an activity (Cycle: Trainer) and then assign it a bike and turn the "Indoors" switch to "On." It now uses the wheel dimension of the selected bike and with the "Indoors" switch set, it doesn't parse or save any of the GPS data. You only set this up once so whenever I ride on my trainer, I select this activity and everything is set. No need for different apps.

I think it's a shame that the developers of Cyclemeter have no immediate plans for making an Andriod version of this app because it will blow everything else out of the water. I get more data for analysis (if you want to use it) than the Garmin 810 collects.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-22-14, 05:43 PM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Not a fan of Strava (tried it and got rid of it) but can't you use it on the trainer as well? Why do you need two apps? In Cyclemeter, I create and set up an activity (Cycle: Trainer) and then assign it a bike and turn the "Indoors" switch to "On." It now uses the wheel dimension of the selected bike and with the "Indoors" switch set, it doesn't parse or save any of the GPS data. You only set this up once so whenever I ride on my trainer, I select this activity and everything is set. No need for different apps.

I think it's a shame that the developers of Cyclemeter have no immediate plans for making an Andriod version of this app because it will blow everything else out of the water. I get more data for analysis (if you want to use it) than the Garmin 810 collects.

You are probably correct, I hadn't tried it to see what data Strava collected being stationary, my assumptions were apparently wrong.
I didn't know there was a indoors setting, I will try it out in the morning.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-14, 06:40 AM
Fredster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm guessing you mean that HRM.
Yes. The belt or strap doesn't pick up your HR very well unless it's pretty moist on the electrode parts.
Old 11-27-14, 08:28 AM
Bikey Mikey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ordered the HRM through my LBS(rather give them the money than an online shop). My LBS stated that their supplier is out of stock for the cadence/speed sensor, so I ordered that via Amazon.