Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Using the Park TM-1 to check/correct tension on wheels?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Using the Park TM-1 to check/correct tension on wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-14, 11:39 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all the good infos.

The first DT Swiss set (RR440's/DT Revolutions/Ultegra hubs) has over 700 miles on them and all good. The 2.0/1.5 spokes are hanging in there. I don't really like the 1.5 on the drive side, but everywhere else they seem fine.

The more recent DT Swiss rear wheel (RR585/DT Competition/Ultegra hub) has about 25 miles on it and all good. Making adjustments to the 2.0/1.8 spokes on the drive side is much easier than with the 2.0/1.5's on the other wheel. Not sure if it has to do with alloy vs. brass nipples, spoke prep or just not being wound so tightly, but it's less worrisome for sure.

So far I'm becoming a fan of the DT Swiss stuff. Most reliable wheels I've used thus far. If I need another wheel or set or a friend asks for a recommendation, I'm definitely recommending their stuff at this point.
Old 12-23-14, 12:21 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@Jarrett2 ,

So glad everything seems to be working for you. DT makes good stuff. But, don't think that there aren't plenty of other good components out there. This may simply be a case where you've experienced your first personal success story with DT Swiss components.

With regard to spokes: I wouldn't hesitate to use or trust DT, Wheelsmith or Sapim.

There are a host of other rim manufacturers that produce good hoops. However, DT is probably one of the better with regard to delivering rims which are round and true out of the box. Which would definately respond more favorably to your current approach to tensioning.

Enjoy your new found freedom to simply ride, without concern for how soon you'll be heading back to the LBS for yet another true job. :-)